Review of an overpriced and uncomfortable Viking "Rhine Getaway" cruise

Kling_Klang

You sounded very uncomfortable on your trip. I think you may have forgotten to pack flexibility and a sense of humor. I try to remember to pack those things first.. in my carry on.

I can't imagine someone with diabetes not traveling with a lot of healthy snacks.

One never knows when traveling when one might need a snack.

I do agree your review lacks a bit of credibility. Every trip has its low points..

I sense for you and your wife travel is all a low point.

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your cruise, we have now been on 3, not with Viking, but we have found the staff on the whole, to be exceptional. Maybe river cruising or organised touring are just not for you. If all, or any of the things you say happened on our cruises, then I*would have tried to have them rectified at the time, unless something is brought to the crews or CD's attention then most of the time they wouldnt know theres a problem.

In your words....

"The service from the cabin attendant was excellent."

I cant understand then why you wouldnt at least tip this person..maybe not the CD if you didnt think they met your expectations, but the staff on board do an amazing job in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but I cant imagine not tipping any staff that like you said,...was excellent.

Our luggage was delivered to our cabins with us on check in..and on our 2nd in France it was already waiting in our cabin for us.

I'm an avid Viking cruiser, having taken four Viking cruises. I have also had a cabin on the lower deck of a Viking Long Ship, and so I sympathize with you. It's miserable. The engine sounds like a dog barking all night. I will never travel with Viking on the lower deck again, unless perhaps we're very close to the front of the deck, where the noise wasn't as bad according to others we were traveling with. I also don't like the long ships as much as the older, smaller Viking river boats. Viking has grown too large, too fast, and they manage the long ships like they are the smaller ships, which leaves the long ships understaffed. With all of the ships Viking has added so quickly, it appears that Viking is focusing their revenue stream on building more long ships (and ocean ships) instead of enhancing the passenger experience once they are on them.

Having said that, I love Viking River Cruises on the smaller ships. We took the Elegant Elbe trip this past May on the Viking Fontane (a smaller ship), and had a great time and a great cruise experience. The boat was adequately staffed with excellent personnel. We've also taken the Amsterdam to Basel trip on a smaller Viking ship and loved it. We stayed at the Amsterdam Hilton, which was great. The advantage of river cruises is that you get to see a country up close and personal in the country side while having the benefits of being on a cruise (one room, only unpacking once, meals taken care of). I especially liked the Rhine river cruise because you get to see castles and vinyards all along the Rhine river. It was spectacular, and I would recommend the cruise to anyone, as long as expectations are tapped down if you are on one of Viking's long ships.

In your words....

"The service from the cabin attendant was excellent."

I cant understand then why you wouldnt at least tip this person..maybe not the CD if you didnt think they met your expectations, but the staff on board do an amazing job in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but I cant imagine not tipping any staff that like you said,...was excellent.

I believe The OP in post 17 said he tipped the room attendant

We all need to take everything we read on line with a grain of salt - both the positives and the negatives.

One thing I always do is look at the history of the poster. When the only time a person has posted has been to complain about a particular cruise line or one particular event, the amount of salt is increased.

Sorry, Kling_Klang, but your 8 posts are all on this one thread. I tend to not give it much credibility compared to others who are frequent contributors to this forum.

We all need to take everything we read on line with a grain of salt - both the positives and the negatives.

One thing I always do is look at the history of the poster. When the only time a person has posted has been to complain about a particular cruise line or one particular event, the amount of salt is increased.

Sorry, Kling_Klang, but your 8 posts are all on this one thread. I tend to not give it much credibility compared to others who are frequent contributors to this forum.

That about sums it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This forum has provided me with a wealth of information and for that, I thank everyone who takes the time to write a review. It is discouraging to see that a low participation count on Cruise Critic may render a review as less credible.

This forum has provided me with a wealth of information and for that, I thank everyone who takes the time to write a review. It is discouraging to see that a low participation count on Cruise Critic may render a review as less credible.

I am sure the OP's review of their trip is exactly described from the perspective of their unique experience . It is hard so say what painted their trip in such bleak manner.

It would seem many things went wrong starting with a personal set back at home and then incompetence from their travel agent to bout!

The review is a perfect tale of why you need to advocate for yourself when things go wrong and get it fixed on the boat.

As someone else posted, it's important to pack you "good humor & flexibility " in your carry on!

Safe travels all....

I can't believe the OP was never served wine at dinner as stated in post#1. Also beer is included. In all the many reviews I have read concerning Viking not one complained about the lack of wine. Maybe the quality.

To many strange things.... IMO

I guess I don't understand why you would take a EUROPEAN cruise if your DW wanted to eat nothing but American food! Did you really think they were going to serve American food every night? My wife doesn't drink beer either. That doesn't ruin our vacation. How can that be Viking's fault?

By the way, I haven't taken a Viking cruise. My comments are just general in nature. As for stiffing the crew of their tips (even by your admission they were good). I just can't imagine. How would you feel if somebody did that to you?

I agree with Nana541. It doesn't seem river cruising (or any cruising) for that matter is for you. By the way, most of the crew members don't make big salaries and rely on tips just like you relied on your paycheck.

I agree! Why go on a European cruise if your wife will only eat American food. Some of our fondest memories are eating our way through Vienna, eating the "new herring" in Amsterdam, brats from a 14th century brathaus in Regensburg, and eating our way through the Les Halles market in Lyon. It is part of a foreign travel experience.

IMO, there really is no such thing as "American food" since the cuisine of America originated from all over the world.

I can't believe the OP was never served wine at dinner as stated in post#1. Also beer is included. In all the many reviews I have read concerning Viking not one complained about the lack of wine. Maybe the quality.

This was the one complaint I felt compelled to take issue with. Beer, wine and soda are included at lunch and dinner. And, as Viking does not offer tables for 2, was the OP's entire table denied beverage service during the entire cruise? Ridiculous!

Becki

Edited by rjscott

We stayed at the Moevenpick and loved the hotel. We found them extremely helpful when we asked questions. It was beautiful. The room was perfect. Our luggage was waiting for us in our room when we returned from exploring. No wait what so ever. We would definitely return to that hotel.

I found it odd about the wine/beer offering on Viking. They kept it flowing through all meals.

It is standard practice throughout the cruising industry that once you have a travel agent, all correspondence must be through the TA.

Not leaving a tip for everyone but the room attendant is sad. Did they not deliver your food every night for dinner? Take your breakfast, lunch, dinner order? Did they not provide water, soda, milk (wine-beer)? I couldn't live with myself if I stiffed any of the help.

Think about it:

Unfortunately there are people on the internet who want to tear down a particular company. Sometimes they are competitors. Sometimes they are disgruntled employees. If someone signs up for a website and does nothing but post that one thread, that is the characteristic of someone with an axe to grind.

A second perspective: I tend to put more faith in the opinions of someone who demonstrates a depth of knowledge or experience. Someone who has never posted before does not demonstrate that to me. I would have put more stock in this review if the person had a history of taking - and commenting on - a number of cruises.

Third - some people are just inherently negative. I have no way of knowing this of Kling_Klang. But I do know he has not posted any positive reviews on this website. He would have more creditability if he shared with us the vacations that have met his standards and made him happy.

He very well may have accurately reported on a terrible cruise. But when you stack Kling_Klangup against other reviewers with more complete histories, I will not give it as much weight as the others.

good review, very helpful.

Really?

Nana, I think that even in scathing reviews there is something to be learned, even if it is to help me avoid the mistakes made by the reviewer. Speak up when you have a problem. Don't book on the lowest deck unless you are ready to put up with engine noise. Always get trip insurance. Choose a cruise line where you can afford to choose a middle priced cabin. Do your homework before you go. Ask intelligent questions.

I also think that folks like OP are among the hardest for the cruise personnel to deal with--those for whom nothing is ever OK but who don't speak up that they are having issues.

Lessons that should be learned from OP.

Every boat will have a place to store insulin. Might not be in the cabin, but in the bar refrigerator. Had to do this on an AMA ship. Or, bring a small cooler and have ice put into it.

Don't go with the cheapest cabins. They are cheap for a reason. In aquarium class you should know you are under water and will hear more noise.

Hotels in Europe have small rooms, hard beds, and old bathroom and are expensive.

If you don't want to be on your own and "abandoned" by the guide ask to set on the bus while everyone else enjoys themselves looking around.

Don't expect subway type food. I have never been on a river cruise where the food was better then subway.

The most important thing is to do research and know what will happen.

The OP never said if they used Viking air or the TA did the air bookings.

I think everyone can learn a good lesson from Kling Klang's review - he states it in his second paragraph - they were trying to take advantage of a "special offer" from a credit card company and were required to use a certain Cruise and Vacation Group TA. At the end of that paragraph, he even goes further saying every time he spoke to the travel comany it was with a different agent. He should be angrier at the TA Company. Not the best of ways to begin a relationship with a TA!! Beware of "special offers", unless you know the TA/Travel Company!!

And I must say that I agree with others who have a difficulty with many of his complaints. While I can't comment on his problems with his cabin - we've never stayed on the lowest deck - the exterior as well as the interior design of the longships is a personal choice, I happen to like the bold, clean Scandinavian lines but undestand that not everyone will. The limited number of seats in the lounge has been noted here on CC many times, best advice is getting there a little early or watching presentation on in-room TV.

After 2 Vining cruises - and many of you have lots more to your credit! - I have to comment about his Dining Room "problems". Was his whole table ignored and not served food or drinks for 2 hours??? Our Viking DR service has always been fabulous and wine/beer flowed throughout dinner - its hard to believe that just he was overlooked!

As for the Moevenpick Hotel - we stayed there pre-OC in 2010 - a wonderful hotel with a fabulous staff!

With any trip there can be "problems". But when one reads of a trip that is filled with problems all around - air transfers, hotel, crusie ship, dinner, etc - one can't help but wonder if the "problems" originate from a very negative person.

Don't expect subway type food. I have never been on a river cruise where the food was better then subway.

I am sorry, but I do not think you phrased that properly. I have never been on a river cruise where subway food was better than the cruise food, even on a Russian river cruise.

OP is MIA folks but sure has created much reaction! :eek:;)

Betty, I get the feeling that is exactly what they wanted. All I can say is that I was on this same boat 2 weeks earlier. Believe it or not, our food was better than Subway AND we were served beer & wine. And the staff were great! I find it very hard to believe that all the staff became so bad In a matter of two weeks....

OK, I am now done with this thread....given the OP will not come back to answer any questions, I am moving on....

Jerry