Where does Celebrity dock at Quebec City?

OnTheJourney

Most ships docks on Dalhousie street in the lower town of old Quebec (unless there is more than 3-4 ships at the same time, then some of them are going to be a little further away).

When you get out of the ship you are right in the old Quebec but Notre Dame church is in the upper town which means you have to go up on rue de la Montagne (a pretty steep hill!) or climb about 300 steps from rue du Petit Champlain , both of those options would take us about ten minutes of walking.

Or you can take the Funiculaire ( kind of a glass elevator) to the upper town, it will cost you a few dollars and take about 20 minutes if the line is not too long ,hope it helps!

Here is a link to a great source of cruise info provided by one of the forum members. They have a website consisting of all of their cruises and other info. The following is a link for the Canadian cruise.

http://www.thepreismans.com/canada_newe.htm

It is well worth reading and will answer many of your questions and give a lot of tips.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Hi Arielle71,

I can't find the Rue de Montagne on the map. The suggested route I got from Google is to take the following: Rue Abraham Martin, Corridor du Littoral, Rue Saint Thomas, Cote de la Canoterie, and Rue Sainte-Famille to Rue to Baude which is where the church is. Thanks so much for your help.

Miched,

I checked out the Preisman's site - very extensive and interesting, but nothing in there that is of any help in placing the location of the church I want to attend for Sunday Mass. Thanks so much though!

Edited by three4rd

I looked it up on google maps and it's very close to the Chateau Frontenac, just a 3 minute walk, so that's a good landmark.

If the ship docks at the far dock I think a shuttle will bring passengers close to where they can into town.

I did not use the street names when I mapped it on google - I just typed in Notre Dame de Quebec.

Hi again,

here is a link to google map, hope you can access it...

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Notre-Dame+de+Qu%C3%A9bec/@46.8128739,-71.2038512,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cb895ddca0712cb:0x3cd7224ef24279f1

Cote de la Montagne is the curvy street that goes from rue Dalhousie (the street parallel to the river)to Rue du port Dauphin, then Rue Buade will be one street to your left once you are up the hill...

Edited by arielle71

PS if you can see the map I posted earlier, your ship should be docked right across from the Musee des Civilisations ( unless many ships are there at the same time) which is a little north of the start of Cote de la Montagne.

This itinirary is much easier and much shorter than the one you mentionned earlier !!!

When we were on the Summit last year we were not able to dock right in town as there were other ships already there We had to dock at the far port and they had a shuttle which took us right into town. It ran every 20 minutes or so and the drop off is right near the Chateau Frontenac.

Hi,

I am going to be on the Summit, and one of the stops is Quebec City. I need to know how much time to allow to get from the dock to the Notre Dame de Quebec on the Rue De Buade. Any helpful advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Canadian here... And someone who knows Quebec City (have family there).

Forget walking up Cote de la Montagne (English = Mountainside) as it is long & winding.

Also forget the L'Escalier Casse Cou (English = Breakneck Stairs) Nice to photograph but not practical... As these steps are very steep & uneven.

Head right for the Funicular for the easiest access... Corner of Rue Sous-Le-Fort (English = Under the Fort) and Rue du Petit Champlain (English = Little Champlain). This is also where the Breakneck Stairs are.

The Funicular is not that expensive considering the convenience (a dollar or two as I recall)

And the run (is more like an elevator run top to bottom only takes 5 minutes).. Although on a busy day, especially in the summer, then yes the wait could be longer.

And the best part is it will connect you directly from Petit Champlain (Lower Town) and the Walled City (Upper Town)... Up top you'll be deposited in Terrasse Dufferin at the Boardwalk right outside the Chateau Frontenac (this is where Champlain's Statue / Monument is... # 15 on the map link below)

Norte Dame du Quebec is a quick 3 minute walk (280 metres) via Fort Sreet (rue Fort) heading North, and Rue de Buade heading Northwest (# 19 on the map link below)

On your way back... Be sure and check out Rue de Tresor (Treasure Street) that runs back towards the Chateau Frontenac... You can access the pedestrian part right across the street from the cathedral. This street is known for the art by local artisans.

Rue de Tresor - Map = http://ruedutresor.qc.ca/anglais/how.html

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... Other great resources worth checking out for planning your visit ... wikipedia for general info - TripAdvisor Forums & Reviews - and the Official Tourism Website for Quebec City = http://www.quebecregion.com/en/

Also GOOGLE MAPS can be a god send as the can calculate times & distances for driving, cycling, public transit and walking. Plus the have Satellite & Street Views so you truly SEE places before you go. Makes knowing where you are going in unfamiliar areas sooo much easier.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I can't find it at the moment, but there's a schedule online that shows which pier ships are assigned to. I've been told Summit's assigned berth on 10/11-12 is Pier 103, which is down the coast about 2 miles from the other piers.

Edited by HickoryShampoo

Hi Sloop-JohnB,

I like your advice to use the Funiculaire (assuming I can find it without much trouble). I would imagine the best way is to take the Rue Dalhousie from the Port and then possibly the Rue du Porche and Rue Notre Dame over to Rue Sous Le Fort? I think I had better get a good city map before we leave on the cruise so I can get a good grasp of the area. Many thanks to all who responded - every suggestion helps!

All the best,

Keith

Edited by three4rd

Just a little aside from where you dock - we were on the Summit and docked directly below the old town - are you having an overnight stay? If so do book an evening horse/carriage ride. We shared with a couple we met on the cruise forum and had a wonderful experience. Large blankets kept us warm whilst we toured the city - all lit and beautiful coloured fountains. The city is easy to walk round - we walked up and down several times during our stay - just take in the scenery as you go.

Hi Sloop-JohnB,

I like your advice to use the Funiculaire (assuming I can find it without much trouble). I would imagine the best way is to take the Rue Dalhousie from the Port and then possibly the Rue du Porche and Rue Notre Dame over to Rue Sous Le Fort? I think I had better get a good city map before we leave on the cruise so I can get a good grasp of the area. Many thanks to all who responded - every suggestion helps!

All the best,

Keith

Hi Keith,

I used to leave/study in the old Quebec and I really think Cote de La Montagne is the nicest / easiest route you can take, I used to do it 3-4 times a day ! And we still use it when we have dinner in the old Quebec and park the car on rue Dalhousie !

If you think you need to use the funiculaire, the easiest way is to walk south on Rue Dalhousie up to Blvd Champlain.There you will see little alleys between the bulidings, use on of them, you will end up on rue Du Petit Champlain, the entrance to the funiculaire will be on your right.

Another suggestion would be to attend mass at Notre Dame des Victoires church right in the lower part of town, it is situated on Place Royale, a couple of streets west of rue Dalhousie. They usually have a service at 10h30 and one at noon.

Hope it helps:)

I would also add that there are a few things tht might weigh on your decision of whether to use the Funicular or not...

1- Weather. No guarantees in the Fall when it comes to sunshine vs rain, or warm vs chilly... And Quebec can also be breezy

2- Where you are starting from... The Port or a Shuttle Drop Off... And how much energy you have.

Old Quebec (Upper Town & Lower Town) is a very walkable city (so old that it is not very car / vehicle friendly). But the walking can be slow going or tiresome on feet cause there is so much to see, ground to cover, and the city is built on a cliff... Where more things seem to be uphill than down. ;) *wink* Add in the cobblestones and it can be rough going for some people

I do suggest that the days you are there that you opt for a good pair of sturdy worn in walking shoes... Your feet will thank you

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB