Why Discounts For EMT/Police/Fire ? ... and not ....

F27TW

Federal law enforcement was dropped from the discount list about 2 years ago. Why is being a active or retired cop in Washington, DC or an FBI, DEA or Secret Service agent etc. any less dangerous than being in law enforcement in another location?

Edited by lakelorain

Hi All,

I have never been one to be backward in coming forward and always worked on "if you don't ask, you don't get". Always ask for a discount and ask what occupations they give discount for, being a retired "busy" does help though.

Pete

On our upcoming Oct cruise we received a $200 police discount. Have a balcony room. Out of 5 cruises we have taken with RCI this is the first time the discount has been available.

I must have lucked out when I booked our upcoming cruise for Nov., I just assumed it was offered on all cruises through RCI. We booked a superior balcony with a Police/Fire/Emt discount of $157.00 pp, so 314.00 total plus we got an on board credit of $150. This is why I didn't go with Carnival. They couldn't beat the price.

Wife is retired fire service, and we've gotten the discount twice so far for balcony cabins. If a cruise is booking slower than what Royal thinks it should, this discount can pop up just for a short period of time - and often just for certain cabin categories.

So - are military "first responders" or not?

As a combat veteran- I consider us both the first and last responders.

I was attempting to clarify the target of the "law enforcement" discount, i.e., first responders vs. dangerous/high-risk occupations. Personally, yes, I consider military to be "first responders", but most (if not all) of the cruise lines value the service of military personnel, and have a discount specifically for military.

They should give discounts to retired travel agents that sold hundreds of thousand dollars worth of their product over a 35 year period.

Those travel agents already got their commission as their "thanks." ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by irishnyc

Federal law enforcement was dropped from the discount list about 2 years ago. Why is being a active or retired cop in Washington, DC or an FBI, DEA or Secret Service agent etc. any less dangerous than being in law enforcement in another location?

I remember reading on here a while ago that it was due to a federal regulation prohibiting any federal employees from receiving any sort of discounts or free product due to their position.

There is a military discount for active and retired military when its available. And yes, I've seen both the military discount as well as the "first responders" discount. You need to be sure to tell your agent that you are one of these to get the discount. If you don't tell them, they don't know to check that option!

As stated I have yet to ever see a discount even though it is "offered".. I would like to hear if anyone has actually gotten the discount and what state it was,etc.

We received the military discount on our first cruise. We paid $800.00 pp for a 10 day balcony. We booked about 3-4 months out. I was very green when booking a cruise. I have inquired on other cruises if the discount was available and it was, but not on all of them. One thing I have learned is that with the military discount (and probably the other discounts) you can't use other specials in addition to the military discount. I have not used it since, because receiving the additional perks is better. You have to see what works for you. If I can get the drink package for 2, paid gratuities and OBC then I will go for that.

We also qualify for the interline discount. Same thing applies with no additional benefits can be added. So sometimes the discounts are really not a good deal after all. :rolleyes:

Edited by ReneeFLL

I remember reading on here a while ago that it was due to a federal regulation prohibiting any federal employees from receiving any sort of discounts or free product due to their position.

:eek::eek::eek: That makes no since for the gov to do this. It's not like they are receiving the discount because these employees are doing special favors for anyone. It's not like the "I scratch your back and you scratch mine." :roll eyes:

I think they should get it, but they will never listen to me.

I wouldn't get too excited.....my husband is law enforcement and I have yet to see an actual discount come into play.

Sounds good I guess....:confused:

Guess I'm lucky, I'm doing my third RCI cruise in November and getting my second police discount. The first time I think it was $50, this time it's $99 but started out as I think $200 until I got a price drop a couple months back then it was reduced. Are you clicking the police/fire box when you search? One of the reasons I picked this particular sailing was I got the discount. I originally had two booked the same week, one with the police discount and one without, then the price dropped on this one and since I booked just a couple days before a WOW sale I called back and they gave me $150 OBC just for asking, so it was a no brainer which one to go with.

So I guess my point is... if you're not picky where you cruise it's easier to get the discount because you're right, they don't offer it much!

With 50 or so RCCL cruises, we've been eligible for two military discounts. Not a big thing, but we do appreciate what is available.

Rick and Deirdra

B 2/12, 4th Inf.Div.,

Dau Tieng, Viet Nam

Discounts are offered to small groups of people so that cruise lines can fill up remaining rooms without devaluing their product. The best discounts are almost always for airline employees, these rates are hidden generally only posted on websites that require a login with verification of airline employment.

Why airline employees? They are a relatively small number of people, that can (and do) go anywhere in the world on a moments notice. It is also easy to restrict access to the rates, so the general population doesn't realize their cabin neighbor paid 1/3 as much.

EDIT: Like all deals, the majority of the time the really good discounts are just a few week to a couple months out, usually after the cancel window. There are some cruises that post good ones 6 months out, like TAs and holiday cruises.

Edited by OSUZorba

That regulation doesn't apply to retired federal employees. The discount was taken away for retired federal law enforcement also.

I wouldn't get too excited.....my husband is law enforcement and I have yet to see an actual discount come into play.

Sounds good I guess....:confused:

The discount is frequent, but normally for sailings where you will typically see mulitple promotions - military, resident, and senior. It's normally a nice discount when it's available. If you're traveling during peak times, not as likely as they don't have to offer incentives for people to book then.

Edited by Nan1052

That regulation doesn't apply to retired federal employees. The discount was taken away for retired federal law enforcement also.

My husband is a retired firefighter and the discount still applies. We've used it many times. Never had a problem.

Discounts are offered to small groups of people so that cruise lines can fill up remaining rooms without devaluing their product. The best discounts are almost always for airline employees, these rates are hidden generally only posted on websites that require a login with verification of airline employment.

Why airline employees? They are a relatively small number of people, that can (and do) go anywhere in the world on a moments notice. It is also easy to restrict access to the rates, so the general population doesn't realize their cabin neighbor paid 1/3 as much.

EDIT: Like all deals, the majority of the time the really good discounts are just a few week to a couple months out, usually after the cancel window. There are some cruises that post good ones 6 months out, like TAs and holiday cruises.

Booked a firefighter rate for 11/15/2014 departure, and the police/fire rate was available then. 09/13/2013. More often than not, many promotions will show up between 4-6 months prior to departure.

:eek::eek::eek: That makes no since for the gov to do this. It's not like they are receiving the discount because these employees are doing special favors for anyone. It's not like the "I scratch your back and you scratch mine." :roll eyes:

...unlike their bosses in Congress. :D

Princess offers an onboard account to all military that send a copy of the DD214 in or other release papers or verification of active duty. This stays on your record so you will always get obc, amount dependent on length of cruise.

Holland America used to run Community Service promotions, honoring Police/fire/teachers/drs & nurses. Been some time since I've seen that.

Carnival runs Military rates often.

Edited by Nan1052