Port Everglades permanently closes 17th St area security gates

royalcruz

This was posted over the weekend. It happened Monday. As of today, this message is found here: http://www.porteverglades.net/

"IMPORTANT MESSAGE

close

gate relocation notice

Gate 6, located on Eisenhower Blvd. south of the Convention Center, will be closed permanently on Monday, Sept. 8 at 6AM as part of the Seaport and Convention Center Security Improvement Project. Port users that previously used Gate 6 will access the docks in Northport and the west side of Midport by using the newly constructed Gate 13, which is just south of Spangler Blvd. on Eisenhower, beginning Monday morning."

I assume that this means that you won't be able to access the port through 17th St anymore, as you have to go through security to get to the docks near 17th St. I also assume that the gate on Eller Dr at the end of I595 remains open.

If you are staying on 17th St or on the beach, allow about an extra $10 in cab fare, as you have to go a few miles further and security lines could be longer.

Well pretty much sucks!! :(

Do you think if your ship is docked at Pier 2 and you are in the middle of a B2B you will be able to walk out of the port area to access the stores on 17th Street?

That's actually pretty good news! It should ease up some of the traffic on 17th Street which is always heavy.

When I had my house on Corodova, it was always so weird that traffic was so heavy and industrial so close to the house. Still have four girlfriends with houses in Rio Vista so we are over there all the time.

The rise in cab far isn't the best. I'd bet the Sterling Road hotels and Comfort Suites will benefit.

That's actually pretty good news! It should ease up some of the traffic on 17th Street which is always heavy.

When I had my house on Corodova, it was always so weird that traffic was so heavy and industrial so close to the house. Still have four girlfriends with houses in Rio Vista so we are over there all the time.

The rise in cab far isn't the best. I'd bet the Sterling Road hotels and Comfort Suites will benefit.

Just think if this had been posted by a man... :D

I would guess this might have an economic impact on the hotels on 17th as I often see them recommended here on CC.

The 17th St area is still much nicer than Stirling Rd or S.R. 84 IMO, so there is no reason to "jump ship" from those hotels. :) There is a TJ Maxx being built there right now in Harbor Shops as a great addition to Ross (Southport shopping center) and Suntrolley to Galleria, so the shopping is even improving. The dining options are great and there is Total Wine, 2 grocery stores, and 2 drug stores.

Crowne Plaza at SR 84/US1 will now be more desirable, and I hope we'll see more development in that area in the future.

The 17th St area is still much nicer than Stirling Rd or S.R. 84 IMO, so there is no reason to "jump ship" from those hotels. :) There is a TJ Maxx being built there right now in Harbor Shops as a great addition to Ross (Southport shopping center) and Suntrolley to Galleria, so the shopping is even improving. The dining options are great and there is Total Wine, 2 grocery stores, and 2 drug stores.

Crowne Plaza at SR 84/US1 will now be more desirable, and I hope we'll see more development in that area in the future.

We were at that Publix and I almost wrecked my car when I saw the TJMaxx coming soon sign! Now if they could only get a Trader Joes in there!

We were at that Publix and I almost wrecked my car when I saw the TJMaxx coming soon sign! Now if they could only get a Trader Joes in there!

You're hilarious!!!! We are getting a Trader Joe's next year in Ft Lauderdale on US1 by Office Depot/ToysRUs, near NE 13th St.

Well pretty much sucks!! :(

Do you think if your ship is docked at Pier 2 and you are in the middle of a B2B you will be able to walk out of the port area to access the stores on 17th Street?

The Port Authority phone number is 954-523-3404. If anyone gets information about walking to 17th St from the Princess Pier (or vice versa) please post it here.

Security at the port was beefed up a lot after 9-11. Some ports don't have security gates at all. Maybe it's because the 9-11 terrorists lived in Lauderdale by the Sea while they went to flight school. :eek:

You're hilarious!!!! We are getting a Trader Joe's next year in Ft Lauderdale on US1 by Office Depot/ToysRUs, near NE 13th St.

Sharon - you made my day! We hadn't heard about the new Trader Joe's coming to Fort Lauderdale. It will be well worth the drive from Pompano Beach for us :D.

This was posted over the weekend. It happened Monday. As of today, this message is found here: http://www.porteverglades.net/

"IMPORTANT MESSAGE

close

gate relocation notice

Gate 6, located on Eisenhower Blvd. south of the Convention Center, will be closed permanently on Monday, Sept. 8 at 6AM as part of the Seaport and Convention Center Security Improvement Project. Port users that previously used Gate 6 will access the docks in Northport and the west side of Midport by using the newly constructed Gate 13, which is just south of Spangler Blvd. on Eisenhower, beginning Monday morning."

I assume that this means that you won't be able to access the port through 17th St anymore, as you have to go through security to get to the docks near 17th St. I also assume that the gate on Eller Dr at the end of I595 remains open.

rc,

Are you sure they are closing the 17th street entry? I read it as they are moving the security gate south on Eisenhower so you can use 17th street or Spangler?? I could be wrong.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I posted this on the port of call boards a few days ago. Before posting I looked at the construction map they also had posted online. 17th street entrance is not closing, only the existing security gate on Eisenhower in order to allow better access to the convention area. The new security gate is still on Eisenhower , just moved further down the street, near Spangler.

You can view the construction map at the ports site showing the security gate move from near 17th and Eisenhower to Spangler and Eisenhower

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2097311

Edited by setsail

They had to have police in full force when the Trader Joe's opened in Naples. I never saw anything like it. Personally, I just don't get it but would run in every now and again.

I posted this on the port of call boards a few days ago. Before posting I looked at the construction map they also had posted online. 17th street entrance is not closing, only the existing security gate on Eisenhower in order to allow better access to the convention area. The new security gate is still on Eisenhower , just moved further down the street, near Spangler.

You can view the construction map at the ports site showing the security gate move from near 17th and Eisenhower to Spangler and Eisenhower

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2097311

Setsail, that would be much better. I'm confused though, because that would leave terminals 1-4 without the protection of any security gates (these terminals are north of Spangler, which is S.R.84). Why protect some of the port but not all of it? Or are they building a second road parallel to Eisenhower where you can go south through the gate and then backtrack north on a new road to go to these terminals? I tried looking at the construction maps but cannot get any perspective from them.

Edited by royalcruz

The Port Authority phone number is 954-523-3404. If anyone gets information about walking to 17th St from the Princess Pier (or vice versa) please post it here.

Security at the port was beefed up a lot after 9-11. Some ports don't have security gates at all. Maybe it's because the 9-11 terrorists lived in Lauderdale by the Sea while they went to flight school. :eek:

I was very surprised with our first cruise out of Miami that there was no security gates like Fort Lauderdale. I have always wondered why the difference.

I don't know that the security gates are really needed for the passenger terminals. I can certainly understand wanting to keep the general public out of the cargo areas of the port, but a lot of cruise ports I can think of don't involve going through any security.

But I have to agree, I can't make any sense out of the maps I can find to figure out exactly what they're really doing. I'd definitely be annoyed if I couldn't get to terminal 2 from 17th street.

This is what I found last night, it will likely mean more to locals than it does to me:

Seaport and Convention Center Security Improvement Project

This project will move the security checkpoint on Eisenhower Boulevard further south and create a security parameter around the parking garage to carve out the Broward County Convention Center from the secure area of the Port.

Status: Construction will affect traffic flow within the Port. Traffic pattern changes have been implemented along Eisenhower Blvd. making it one lane in each direction from Southeast 20th St. to Southeast 26th St. Although the left turn lane from northbound Eisenhower to westbound Spangler has been eliminated for the duration of this construction phase, left turns will still be permitted. Vehicles will need to wait for southbound traffic to clear before making the left turn.

Here is a link:

http://www.porteverglades.net/expansion/construction-updates/

So, is the sky really falling?

Setsail, that would be much better. I'm confused though, because that would leave terminals 1-4 without the protection of any security gates (these terminals are north of Spangler, which is S.R.84). Why protect some of the port but not all of it? Or are they building a second road parallel to Eisenhower where you can go south through the gate and then backtrack north on a new road to go to these terminals? I tried looking at the construction maps but cannot get any perspective from them.

No doubt about it, the whole release/construction update seems confusing. Almost like RCI's IT had a hand in the process:p. I had to look over it several times before I understood it.

A simple press release saying we have moved the security gate down the street would have been great.

I guess in the past in order to access part of the convention property you had to go through the old security gate, even though it was not port business, so they have enchanted that so it seems

I guess in the past in order to access part of the convention property you had to go through the old security gate, even though it was not port business, so they have enchanted that so it seems

For several years, there was no security gate to get into the Convention Center, which opened in 1991. Once they put up the security gate for the port, you had to go through it to get to the convention center. The current parking garage for the first few terminals is in the same garage as the convention center (there might be a divider but I can't recall.) There is currently a project to rebuild the main Princess terminal there, as well as parking expansion. It really needs to be easier to get into the Convention Center in order for it to thrive....auto shows, home shows, etc. are held on weekends when the port is busiest.