Royal and Regal both leaving port on 1/18/15

sawtooth

I have been reading on my roll call for the 1/18/15 Royal cruise that the sister ships will be in the same port at the same time and leaving together.

Some have suggested that Princess is planning something special for this rare event.

Has anyone heard of this? What do you think they might do? Free champagne all around?

I have been reading on my roll call for the 1/18/15 Royal cruise that the sister ships will be in the same port at the same time and leaving together.

Some have suggested that Princess is planning something special for this rare event.

Has anyone heard of this? What do you think they might do? Free champagne all around?

"Free" probably won't be part of the occasion. ;)

Terminal logistics should be interesting that day, especially if Allure or Oasis is in port as well.

One of them will be, the Allure I think, as the Regal departs on a Sunday. We will be on the Regal for it. I am betting Regal will be at berth 2, maybe Royal will be at 4? Or 21, 26, or heaven forbid 29. I'm not sure if the construction on 4 is done yet and if it is large enough for Royal/Regal. It could be real interesting if they were parked nose to nose at a 45 degree angle.

Do you think you'll be able to see both ships from the 17th St bridge? Also is the Allure (I think someone mentioned they will be there too) as big as the Royal/Regal?

Yes, both ships should be visible from the bridge. The Allure is larger than either the Royal or Regal.

Lew

Wow, that sounds like a lot of ships. Is that normal?

January, February and March are high season and January 18th next year is the Martin Luther King 3 day weekend.

Seven ships is not uncommon on weekend days in high season. Over 3 days in January 2012 they had 8 ships each day! The record number of passengers embarking/disembarking in one day is around 55,000 - and it seems that in the last 3 or 4 years there is always at least one weekend that comes close if not exceeds that number.

Edited by capriccio

Wow, that sounds like a lot of ships. Is that normal?

The website cruisetimetables.com will show you what ships are leaving any port on any given date. We leave on the Coral from Ft. Lauderdale November 9 for the Panama Canal partial transit and there will be a total of 6 ships in port that day. By looking up the max capacity of each ship there could be as many as 18,000 or so passengers embarking that day.

We were on the Celebrity Millennium in February 2001 when the Summit did their inaugural cruise. I think our ship circled around the Summit when both of us were tooting our horns. We were in the dining room so it was sort of difficult to see what was going on.

• 3 months later...

I would suspect a horn battle if nothing else. Would be super awesome if the Disney Dream or Fantasy could be there as well :)

Unfortunately, given the amount of people that will be using the port that day, logisitically I doubt there is much Princess could do if they wanted. I would not be surprised if they had photogs, maybe even some aerial shots, but that won't affect Pax.

One of them will be, the Allure I think, as the Regal departs on a Sunday. We will be on the Regal for it. I am betting Regal will be at berth 2, maybe Royal will be at 4? Or 21, 26, or heaven forbid 29. I'm not sure if the construction on 4 is done yet and if it is large enough for Royal/Regal. It could be real interesting if they were parked nose to nose at a 45 degree angle.

The information I have indicates the Royal will be at Terminal 2 and the Regal at 21.

Gonna be a busy day in FLL on 1/18/15: Nieuw Amsterdam, Allure, Regal, Royal, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Conquest. EM

According to Wikipedia, the record for Port Everglades is

15 ships on 21-December-2003.

Six seems pretty normal for a weekend day in winter.

Vickie, I have been reading your blog, it's great. We are sailing on the Royal 1/18 as well.

I was reading your blog about the wine packages. We were thinking of buying one but were put off to find out you can only purchase the wine in the MDR or Horizon Court. Don't need room service but would like to be able to purchase at Vines or a bar. What to do if the MDR isn't open yet. Also, can you get the same wines in the MDR that you can get at Vines?

Don't have a google act so could not ask you this question on your blog.

The information I have indicates the Royal will be at Terminal 2 and the Regal at 21.

Yes that is what I have too. This means that for the Regal sailings of January 11 (which I am on) and the 18th, the Regal will NOT arrive back at the same pier she left from. On the 11th we depart from pier 2 and arrive back at pier 21, and the 18th is reverse, departing from 21 and arriving back at 2.

Those who elect to park at the pier should be aware of this at it requires a shuttle to get from one parking garage to another. We had originally planned to park at the pier garage, but decided based on above to use an off site lot.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal