Pizza on Getaway

koss78b2

I would love for NCL to open a real pizza place. I love a good pizza and even buy the cheap chain pizza on land. But some of the worst pizza ever is on NCL ships. The buffet pizza is not great. I had the pizza delivery on Epic for $5 and any frozen pizza I have had was way better. The La Cucina pizza is the best on board and I would give that pizza a failing grade too.

I always read the rave reviews about the pizza on Carnival. Maybe someday I will try it.

I would love for NCL to open a real pizza place. I love a good pizza and even buy the cheap chain pizza on land. But some of the worst pizza ever is on NCL ships. The buffet pizza is not great. I had the pizza delivery on Epic for $5 and any frozen pizza I have had was way better. The La Cucina pizza is the best on board and I would give that pizza a failing grade too.

I always read the rave reviews about the pizza on Carnival. Maybe someday I will try it.

The best pizza is on Princess. Of course, once Carnival bought them, they were able to take advantage of that. It is really, really, really good!

Yes Carnival pizza is good. Probably my favorite of any cruise line. But it's still cruise ship pizza. Not as good as ordering from a pizza place on land.

Pizza - Pizza, Pie-Pie.

NYC and NJ have the Worlds best. A Pie Parlor about every corner. Even Slices sold in the Port of Authority, Subways, Grand Central Sattion etc..

CAN YA hear us now NCL? With so much money to buy Two Cruise lines how about putting a little Tomatoe Pie on the Ships with quality..

NCL has a few ships in NYC, NY .. why not do as Princess, Carnival, etc do and make Pies..aboard.. Even use real Garlic ummmm ;)

It is so very Profitable as people drink a lot more when eating...Thats really what NCL wants as you see they UpCharge for everthing ..

\

So call it NCL UpTown or UpCharge Pizza...

;)

I love pizza and noticed the Getaway has a pizza place. Anyone have the pizza? is it great? tell me about it please

A picture is worth a thousand words. We can sit here and talk about the pizza all day long, but I think a picture will really help to make the point better.

Here's a shot I took of the pizza at the buffet on Norwegian Getaway last week...

Pizza-IMG_4955.JPG

Look real closely at those three slices of Pepperoni pizza in the lower center. Notice not only that they really skimped on the Pepperoni, but there's also not a whole lot of cheese there.

The combo pizza over on the right looked like it had more substance to it. However, I never tried it after trying one slice of the Pepperoni pizza. It was such bad quality pizza, I didn't even want to try the combo. Never ate another slice of pizza the whole week. There was plenty of other good food to eat. I knew good pizza would be waiting for me when I got home.

A picture is worth a thousand words. We can sit here and talk about the pizza all day long, but I think a picture will really help to make the point better.

Here's a shot I took of the pizza at the buffet on Norwegian Getaway last week...

Pizza-IMG_4955.JPG

Look real closely at those three slices of Pepperoni pizza in the lower center. Notice not only that they really skimped on the Pepperoni, but there's also not a whole lot of cheese there.

The combo pizza over on the right looked like it had more substance to it. However, I never tried it after trying one slice of the Pepperoni pizza. It was such bad quality pizza, I didn't even want to try the combo. Never ate another slice of pizza the whole week. There was plenty of other good food to eat. I knew good pizza would be waiting for me when I got home.

Simply NCL cutting corners to save a buck. The beancounters will do anything to save a nickel, passengers be damned.

• 3 years later...

I know this post is really old, but are your only choices for pizza is when it is on the buffet or a 5.00 delivery? Like Carnival they have the 24 hr pizza place. Is the 5.00 only for delivery and I can get a slice for free when then buffet is closed?

I know this post is really old, but are your only choices for pizza is when it is on the buffet or a 5.00 delivery? Like Carnival they have the 24 hr pizza place. Is the 5.00 only for delivery and I can get a slice for free when then buffet is closed?

As you said, this thread is old, and the $5 delivery ended a few years ago. You can get pizza on the buffet or maybe on room service menu for a $7.95.

I don't think it was on the room service menu this past week - according to my 2 sons who would have ordered it 2 times a day if so!. Also La Cucina no longer has pizza on the menu - surprised us as we all wanted to order it there based on how good it was on a prior trip. We only found sad pizza on the buffet - it was not good.

The best pizza at sea is on MSC which was founded in Naples, Italy - where pizza was invented. On their ships they have brought onboard a real Neopolitan pizza chef and that is definitely the finest and best pizza you will ever have at sea or anywhere else, for that matter short of going to Naples. The buffet serves pizza as well, but it is more Americanized style pizza. The other thing MSC has is the absolute best bread in The Yacht Club dining room - at least 3 different types daily. Unbelievable how great their bread is! They use their bread making skills to make the finest crust and top it with the highest quality ingredients and you get a truly great pizza.

• 3 weeks later...
I love pizza and noticed the Getaway has a pizza place. Anyone have the pizza? is it great? tell me about it please

I too would consider myself a Pizza fan,but I think I tried only one slice from the Buffet on our cruise..I did not find it moreish..maybe just me,but too thin for my liking,and a little soggy..OTOH,there was plenty of other good stuff to fill the gap,both at the buffet and everywhere else on board!

They don't really have a "pizza place" per se. But there is pizza available in the buffet at lunch and dinner times.

The good news is that unlike on a Carnival ship, you never have to wait for them to make a pizza or for one to come out of the oven. They always have several pizzas sliced up and under heat lamps... waiting for you to grab a slice or two and go.

The bad news is that, the pizza is just HORRIBLE. I'm a pizza lover... I eat pizza out twice a week on average. The pizza on the Norwegian Getaway was just so bad that I couldn't bring myself to eat it other than the very first slice I tried on the first day. I've had frozen pizza from the grocery store that were better. Really.

I totally LOVED my cruise on the Norwegian Getaway... but the pizza was not one of the reasons why!

That's one of the positives about Carnival. Their pizza is hot, fresh, and not terrible.

The best pizza at sea is on MSC which was founded in Naples, Italy - where pizza was invented. On their ships they have brought onboard a real Neopolitan pizza chef and that is definitely the finest and best pizza you will ever have at sea or anywhere else, for that matter short of going to Naples. The buffet serves pizza as well, but it is more Americanized style pizza. The other thing MSC has is the absolute best bread in The Yacht Club dining room - at least 3 different types daily. Unbelievable how great their bread is! They use their bread making skills to make the finest crust and top it with the highest quality ingredients and you get a truly great pizza.

So true.

I too would consider myself a Pizza fan,but I think I tried only one slice from the Buffet on our cruise..I did not find it moreish..maybe just me,but too thin for my liking,and a little soggy..OTOH,there was plenty of other good stuff to fill the gap,both at the buffet and everywhere else on board!

Thin & crispy is good. Thin & foldable is good. Thin & soggy is gross!

I have never tried the pizza on a cruise. I have always been curious to see how just bad it is, but I just couldn't do it to myself. I'm from Brooklyn. I don't expect to find pizza that is "to my standards" (if "pizza standards" are a thing) away from home. However, I have never sailed MSC. :)

The $5 pizza on the Breakaway looked pretty awful, back when it still existed.

The pizza on Getaway is almost inedible, one of the few bad things about the food there. Worse than Carnival's, which is saying a lot. I'd actually rate the crap from Cici's higher.

some of these posts are overly dramatic. i mean, spitting it out? "horrible"? seriously?

its ok, pizza, best when drunk. crust is never crispy, and its not spicy at all - very bland. but its far from inedible. not authentic, even at lacucina (but none of their food is authentic italian IMO).

While most food on NCL is pretty consistent across the fleet we've found pizza not to be one of them. We've had great pizza on the Star then a later Star trip it was completely different. The POA has a nice wood-oven type area in the buffet where we found the pizza to be very good.

We've been on the Spirit last trip and it was pretty bad in the buffet but on GSC it was actually not too bad. We ordered room service pizza on Gem recently and it was pretty good. Just makes it a bit interesting to see what the pizza will be like.

I had pizza from the buffet on the Getaway and it was horrible, one bite was enough. Apart from that their specialty restaurants were excellent and so were meals from their MDR and everything else was super. Booked on the Getaway for this March again.

The best Pizza I had on a cruise ship was on the Princess Regal where they do have a specialty Pizza restaurant.