Oceania Free Air

Lorna Doone

Once a deposit is given does anyone know how long it is before you are given your flight schedule if using Oceania free air?

Unless you pay the Air Deviation Fee, in which case you have some input into what your Air Schedule will be, you won't know what your Flights will be until Oceania sends the tickets, just after Final Payment is due at 90 days out.

And the air is not free since you can get money off for not using it.
Of course, you get an air credit if you don't use the O's air fare. You can get a quote with or without air. That's how people determine if they want to use O's air or get their own!! We did it many times until we got free air deviation!! Arlene

Of course, you get an air credit if you don't use the O's air fare. You can get a quote with or without air. That's how people determine if they want to use O's air or get their own!! We did it many times until we got free air deviation!! Arlene

That it the point, it is not free but included in the price you pay, or can get the cruise price reduced.

When I suggest to someone that they look at O for a possible cruise I always, somewhat embarrassed, tell them to overlook that bit of their pitch. I want to bring it up before they start wondering.

I'll add I that I very much DO like their included air and is one of the reasons we often consider O but dislike this marketing. Cheapens them IMHO

Keep in mind you fly in on the day of embarkation & fly out on the day of disembarkation with the included air

If you want to spend time before or after the cruise you can pay the deviation fee & choose the flights you want

Some may or may not incur an upcharge but you will know your flight times etc well in advance

Lyn

We got our packet this week for our Nov 11 cruise.

Didn't like the air arrangements, so called and had the charge removed. It cost me $70 per person (less than the air deviation fee) above the amount I was credited to get good non-stop flights.

Just out of curiosity (and since I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a cruise shortly), what is the approximate amount of the air credit if you elect not to use Oceania Air? I do realize that different itineraries have different amounts but for CA to AK, it probably isn't that much. Also, do they refund only one segment or does it have to be all or nothing?

Just out of curiosity (and since I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a cruise shortly), what is the approximate amount of the air credit if you elect not to use Oceania Air? I do realize that different itineraries have different amounts but for CA to AK, it probably isn't that much. Also, do they refund only one segment or does it have to be all or nothing?

I am not sure I think it is about $200 pp but you could do a test booking with air & without that should tell you

Lyn

And a dummy booking is one easy way to find out. The other is to call reservations.

It's not a "refund", it's a credit on your invoice.

Andee points out something very interesting. No penalty for canceling the air after it's ticketed, Andee?

Edited by May B

According to the Oceania employee I spoke to, our flights hadn't been ticketed yet, although the flight details were listed in our packet.

The main reason we were willing to drive 90 minutes to O'Hare was to fly non-stop. If we had wanted to change planes, we could have flown from MKE, 20 minutes from our house.

I recently took an Oceania Alaska cruise.

I was able to get flights from Phoenix to Vancouver/Seattle to Phoenix for less than the air credit -- amazing. I think it was around 600. I took the credit.

Your TA can tell you how much the air credit will be.

Edited by pacheco18

We got our packet this week for our Nov 11 cruise.

Didn't like the air arrangements, so called and had the charge removed. It cost me $70 per person (less than the air deviation fee) above the amount I was credited to get good non-stop flights.

I've just had the same experience with a booking for a January 4th cruise. Oceania was quoting huge amounts on a deviation and then wouldn't go with the non-stops. We wound up using points and paid tickets. That way we are able to get direct flights rather than the circuitous "see America's airports tour." The amount they give you as a credit is laughable--something like 300. How on earth could one book Miami to the coast airfares in January for that amount. It just isn't possible. So they either give you the most circuitous routes you have ever had or charge y ou enormous fees. I would pass on the airfare included.

According to the Oceania employee I spoke to, our flights hadn't been ticketed yet, although the flight details were listed in our packet.

The main reason we were willing to drive 90 minutes to O'Hare was to fly non-stop. If we had wanted to change planes, we could have flown from MKE, 20 minutes from our house.

But had you chosen to fly out of MKE, I don't believe its a Gateway City, so you would have added the additional Gateway City fee... THink its 100$ 150$ ???

You could have paid the deviation fee, (not much more) and chosen your flights from ORD.

We live in Memphis, the fare ( if I were to purchase it myself) to go to Italy next year for our cruise is 2005$ (yup thats in economy).

I am letting O do it...

It's all about the math.

Edited by kimanjo

I was quite pleased with the air deviation and total cost through O. Just one stop to Beijing and one stop coming back from Tokyo. Both flights had reasonable layovers and total flight times. Most of the alternatives I had looked at were much more expensive and much longer total flight times.

Since our home airport (IND) is not usually a gateway city, we have to pay $199/pp extra as well as a deviation fee - now $175? to choose our flights. We are on the same cruise with ANDEE and IND was added as a Gateway for that particular cruise. We still took the $300/pp credit, booked our own flights and paid for them with points - couldn't do that if the flights were bundled into the cruise fare.

I was quite pleased with the air deviation and total cost through O. Just one stop to Beijing and one stop coming back from Tokyo. Both flights had reasonable layovers and total flight times. Most of the alternatives I had looked at were much more expensive and much longer total flight times.

This demonstrates that there is no one answer as to whether the included airfare is a good deal. Depends on the route, your departure city, the amount of the credit, whether you have miles or points you can use, whether you want to deviate and pay a fee.

The only time I ever took included airfare was for a Caribbean cruise where the the airfare credit was a laughable $99 Phx to Miami. No way I could get airfare for close to that and I don't waste miles for domestic flights . I did not care about arriving early or staying later.

This demonstrates that there is no one answer as to whether the included airfare is a good deal. Depends on the route, your departure city, the amount of the credit, whether you have miles or points you can use, whether you want to deviate and pay a fee.

The only time I ever took included airfare was for a Caribbean cruise where the the airfare credit was a laughable $99 Phx to Miami. No way I could get airfare for close to that and I don't waste miles for domestic flights . I did not care about arriving early or staying later.

For our Bermuda cruise out of Miami, we got back $300 pp for air. I was thrilled. $99 pp is a joke - a very bad joke at that.