Changes in the last ten years?

Vict0riann

How do these posters in the know find out?

Beats me. I do remember one time when a tablemate, also solo with the same category cabin, asked me how much I had paid. I didn't answer the question.

I was brought up that discussions of private financial matters is just not done.

Is there a reliable source to back that up? I think on a single cruise there are likely a whole different range of what passengers paid for the same cabin. But I have never thought that those who got a screaming deal do most of the complaining.

With over 800 days on the same cruise line..........

You get to learn certain things from 'here and there'.

You certainly don't expect names, do you? :D

Is there a reliable source to back that up? I think on a single cruise there are likely a whole different range of what passengers paid for the same cabin. But I have never thought that those who got a screaming deal do most of the complaining.

From experience: the fact is that people who like to talk about what a great deal they got on their fare are often the same people who like to talk about a lot of other things of little interest to their shipmates. Very often they also do complain about things. Again - some, not all; but the propensity to complain loudly does not seem to be related to anything other than a sense of entitlement --- which also leads some people to think their shrewd bargaining ability is of interest to shipmates.

We will be five star next spring. Does that mean we will know these things then? Is there a magic number of days after which we will learn certain things?

I feel very uncomfortable that there would appear to be a breach of confidentiality on the part of an officer or crew member. These days pretty much all employees sign a Confidentiality agreement. So yes, I would expect names. Sorry OP for the thread drift.

The irony is sometimes (certainly not all), the folks who pay $399 complain more than those paying $3,999. :D One cannot expect to pay for a burger and be served filet mignon.

If a poster is not prepared to back up their personal speculations and assertions, especially those that are particularly insensitive/unkind, it is probably better that the poster not post those speculations and assertions.

Anyone could assert pretty much anything, alluding to personal sources, then refuse to divulge the "sources" (whether or not there were actually any "sources").

As for complaints, I hear lots of complaints on this board about $399 fares, and I wonder if the ones complaining about those fares continue to complain onboard, feeling that perhaps they have overpaid?

We will be five star next spring. Does that mean we will know these things then? Is there a magic number of days after which we will learn certain things?

We too are approaching 5*, but I don't have inside information either, so no worries. I don't know if I want it either ;)

Actually the loudest complainers I have heard are in the Neptune Suites and I doubt that they have $399 cruises:D:p

Anyhoo, :D, I was just wondering about the last ten years, as we have only been cruising on HAL for about 5 years, and before that, mainly (pardon the pun) sailed Cunard. This latest change, to only half as many formal nights, has been a surprise. It will save some money for HAL, the "special" dinners will be fewer, and they'll save on the laundry, too, not having to wash so many chair covers! I imagine they will say it's in response to requests from passengers, perhaps the next step will be to change from "formal" to "festive" nights, where you can wear whatever you want.

To assuage my sorrow at not being able to dress up as often as I expected, I went out and bought a new travel purse!

Actually the loudest complainers I have heard are in the Neptune Suites and I doubt that they have $399 cruises:D:p

While I believe this to be very true, to be fair, what I see the most on this board is the complaining about people that wait out the fare reductions and then get a good deal because of it. Some people have flexibility, some don't.

While I believe this to be very true, to be fair, what I see the most on this board is the complaining about people that wait out the fare reductions and then get a good deal because of it. Some people have flexibility, some don't.

very true as well. (I was speaking of those complaining on the ships of course that I have noticed - and how could you not sometimes;)) Those that wait for the right cruises can get a sweet deal.

On the other hand, other cruises or the cabin categories can be sold out. (not talking about Caribbean cruises here)

Pros and cons to both.

If HAL would just get 'with it' and give an EBS booking like other cruise lines it would solve some of those issues without a doubt.

Anyhoo, :D, I was just wondering about the last ten years, as we have only been cruising on HAL for about 5 years, and before that, mainly (pardon the pun) sailed Cunard. This latest change, to only half as many formal nights, has been a surprise. It will save some money for HAL, the "special" dinners will be fewer, and they'll save on the laundry, too, not having to wash so many chair covers! I imagine they will say it's in response to requests from passengers, perhaps the next step will be to change from "formal" to "festive" nights, where you can wear whatever you want.

To assuage my sorrow at not being able to dress up as often as I expected, I went out and bought a new travel purse!

We still have 7 on our cruise Vict0riann (31 days) and on a port intensive cruise it gets difficult sometimes. We enjoy dressing up as you do as long as it is not squeezed in so to speak.

Here is the nice thing - you can dress very nicely if you are so inclined, especially if you are dining at the Pinnacle or elsewhere. It does not have to be a formal night.

I feel very uncomfortable that there would appear to be a breach of confidentiality on the part of an officer or crew member. These days pretty much all employees sign a Confidentiality agreement. So yes, I would expect names. Sorry OP for the thread drift.

One thing you obviously know you can count on- if officers and crew members are gossiping to you about other pax, they are also gossiping about you to other pax. It makes everyone involved feel important.

Beats me. I do remember one time when a tablemate, also solo with the same category cabin, asked me how much I had paid. I didn't answer the question.

I was brought up that discussions of private financial matters is just not done.

Agreed! People want to feel good about the deal they made. We sure learned to leave well enough alone.

We enjoy formal night, too, and getting all gussied up. I think the problem with reducing them to a minimum is that passengers are going to think it's not worth the bother for one night a week - bringing a suit, etc. I mean.

Interesting... I hadn't really thought about it from a cost savings perspective. I just assumed that it was in response to the changing demands of the market. (Hint to the market: Measure your neck. Add one half inch. Buy that size collar. You can now wear a tie for hours without risk of asphyxiation. :) Of course, if you really to have your Adam's apple run free, I guess that won't help.)

Half Moon Cay

Someone else's turn to add things they like that have been added to HAL ships. :)

Wait, are you saying that they added Half Moon Cay... or have there been significant changes there over the past 10 years? I was definitely there in June 2001, over 10 years ago.

I was wondering if they still did the chocolate extravaganza, and I think it was in here somebody said they did away with it?

That cruise in 2001 was the last one I had taken prior to our cruise last month. I noticed they no longer do the whole Baked Alaska thing on the stairs and they don't have Dutch Night anymore. (I don't know how long ago this left though, many of you probably do know :)) I was really looking forward to my husband, who is of Dutch descent, being in a Dutch hat. :p

No officer or crew would need to be involved and I didn't see that mentioned. Just sit and "people watch" for awhile on your next several cruises. I can say with 100% certainty I have observed in "SOME" instances that Sail is very correct in her statement. I couldn't name names ... I wouldn't know them. But if you are observant it doesn't take long to peg them.

From Sail: "The irony is sometimes (certainly not all), the folks who pay $399 complain more than those paying $3,999. One cannot expect to pay for a burger and be served filet mignon."

Wait, are you saying that they added Half Moon Cay... or have there been significant changes there over the past 10 years? I was definitely there in June 2001, over 10 years ago.

I was wondering if they still did the chocolate extravaganza, and I think it was in here somebody said they did away with it?

That cruise in 2001 was the last one I had taken prior to our cruise last month. I noticed they no longer do the whole Baked Alaska thing on the stairs and they don't have Dutch Night anymore. (I don't know how long ago this left though, many of you probably do know :)) I was really looking forward to my husband, who is of Dutch descent, being in a Dutch hat. :p

Yes, Half Moon Cay is more than 10 years old (but I was chagrined to realize that). HMC opened, I believe, in January 1998; we visited in early February 1998 on Statendam ... and have been back more than a dozen times. Things do change, some incrementally so that you don't notice, until one day you realize they have really ugly two story cabanas and an out-sized and out-of-scale pirate ship bar on the previously-bucolic castaway island.

Yes, we remember when...

- when we had to wait in a cavernous hall until 2 p.m. or so, with our boarding number (about 1137 as I remember :D), until we had the opportunity to wait in a huge line to get our photo taken with the Dutch girl before we could even board. After the first cruise, we never bought the photo. Later, we just walked by.

- when the photographers would hold up hundreds of people trying to get off the ship in a port to take somebody's picture. Now, they have backed off and only take your shot if you want it (so they don't have to take a hip-block from a former tight end ...:rolleyes:) Nor do they insist on formal nights in the MDR (including the one dressed in pirate costume who almost suffered a broken arm and nose when he snuck up behind me and placed a plastic sword against my neck for the photographer pestering us across the table before the split-second when I realized he was harmless.)

- when the MDR served dishes that people actually liked and ate, like pot roast (hutspet mit klapstuks) or mac and cheese, or whatever. I have to admit, with the celebrity chefs, some of the dishes now really step up to the near gourmet level. But, dammit, I liked pot roast.

- when leftovers from the main dishes and desserts from dinner would be available in the Lido for lunch the next day. No doubt, they have algorithms and computer programs to predict what people order (from a meeting once with the captain, the number one dish ordered is shrimp cocktail; can't really argue with that), so that there is less leftovers and waste. But, again dammit, I liked the snickers pie or crab legs the second time around.

- when "specialty coffee" meant with cream.

- when you could walk a mile and get a stamp; 12 stamps got you a T-shirt.

- when we could get smoked fish on the Lido line.

- when one of us had to attend the disembarkation talk, and listen to those horrible jokes for the umpteenth time.

Etc., etc., etc. In short, some things are better, some (in my opinion) are worse. But, you know what? I would rather be on a HAL ship going somewhere than hang around home.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang