Will we make our flight

stoneman56

We are cruising back into Venice next July. I am at the booking flights stage, will we be able to make a flight out to London at 10:35am from Marco Polo. We are booked in a suite, I am looking at getting to the airport no later than 9am if possible

I wouldn't take that flight on a bet!! It's an international flight, you have customs & immigration as fer10 stated, there's a chance you won't get off the ship at the right time, and 1 1/2 hours is way to short of time to arrive at the airport. Long lines at check-in, long lines at security could easily eat up any extra time you may have. Go for a flight at least 12:30, or later, would be my advice. Why add extra stress at the end of your vacation?

What time do you dock? Being in a suite you have priority disembarkation, however you have to consider what time you dock, as well as time for customs and immigration

No idea what time we dock, we are on the Gem, but I assumed with every other NCL cruise we have been on it will be about 8am.

I wouldn't take that flight on a bet!! It's an international flight, you have customs & immigration as fer10 stated, there's a chance you won't get off the ship at the right time, and 1 1/2 hours is way to short of time to arrive at the airport. Long lines at check-in, long lines at security could easily eat up any extra time you may have. Go for a flight at least 12:30, or later, would be my advice. Why add extra stress at the end of your vacation?

I know its cutting it short but we will have checked in online and only have to go to bag drop (which I know can be as long as check-in). Trouble is it's the only flight of the day, so we would have to spend the night in a hotel and go the next morning.

I think you're looking a bit too far out to book the flights. I've just had a look, for example. on http://www.easyjet.com - they do 3 flights a day from Marco Polo to Gatwick - and you can only book up until the end of May.

If London is your final destination, it's worth waiting for more of the airlines to open up their flights.

What time do you dock? Being in a suite you have priority disembarkation, however you have to consider what time you dock, as well as time for customs and immigration

Unless the previous port was outside of the EU Schengen area there will be no customs or immigration to worry about. Straight off, and straight out of the terminal.

I agree with the other posters. It is too early. Venice airport is tiny and chaotic. Lines are horrendous. Unlikely to get a smooth, fast passage through airport check-in/bag drop and security.

We are cruising back into Venice next July. I am at the booking flights stage, will we be able to make a flight out to London at 10:35am from Marco Polo. We are booked in a suite, I am looking at getting to the airport no later than 9am if possible

The Jade arrives at 8am. Personally, I think 10.35 is a bit too early. Disembarkation starts for us at 8am next year, and we will go for a 11.35 flight, and that's about as close as I'd like to go. We're on the Spirit which actually arrives the previous day so there is no chance of delayed arrival.

You will probably make it, but you need to consider the implications if you don't, for any reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the Jade this past spring and though disembarkation was supposed to begin at 8 AM it was closer to 8:30 before they started letting people get off. So you never know, a slight delay could throw a wrench in the works. We wanted a direct flight to Miami that left early so we waited until the next morning to fly.

We cruised out of Venice on the Costa Fascinosa in September, 2012. The ship was scheduled to dock in Venice at 9AM. Our flight was 12:55PM. As we were sailing back to Venice on the last afternoon of the cruise, the captain announced that a passenger had a medical emergency (an elderly woman at the pool had slipped and dislocated her shoulder) and that the ship would be making arrangements to evacuate her on the way back to Venice. He added, that because of this, the scheduled docking the following morning would be pushed back from 9AM to 9:30AM. It turned out disembarkation was delayed even longer than that, and it was not until 10:45AM that we were off the ship with luggage in hand. So this left two hours and ten minutes until our flight.

Our original plan to get to Marco Polo was to take the People Mover from the cruise terminal to P. Roma and from there the ATVO bus to the airport. I anticipated we would be encountering lines for the People Mover (which really doesn't hold very many people). In addition, the ATVO bus to the airport only runs every 20 minutes so it was conceivable that we could also end up chewing up time at P. Roma just waiting for the bus to leave. Facing the prospect of two waits of uncertain lengths, we quickly scrapped that idea.

But there are taxis waiting right outside the cruise terminal. We took one of these: 45 euros and we were dropped off at the airport exactly 20 minutes after getting in the cab. I felt even better about this option on the way out of the terminal area when the cab drove past the huge throng of people waiting at the People Mover stop.

There are many stories on the internet and some of the comments here have mentioned what a zoo the Venice airport can be. This was absolutely not the case for us. Just a tiny line and a short wait at the Lufthansa ticket counter and soon after we breezed through security. Time from exiting the cab until sitting at that gate: approximately 10 minutes.

Any snafu (traffic, lines at the ticket counter, lines at security) would have messed things up for us big time. And the stress level was high. In the end it all worked out for us; it may or may not for you. But, again, we were sitting at the gate at the Marco Polo airport 30 minutes after exiting the cruise terminal building in Venice. It might boil down to your risk tolerance.

I think you're looking a bit too far out to book the flights. I've just had a look, for example. on http://www.easyjet.com - they do 3 flights a day from Marco Polo to Gatwick - and you can only book up until the end of May.

If London is your final destination, it's worth waiting for more of the airlines to open up their flights.

I am just getting a bit nervous, Ryanair are already showing as full around our dates, as well as Monarch, I know EJ haven't brought out their prices yet, so I was looking at the only airlines at the moment with availability, and the one that came up has the 10:30 flight

Thanks for all the replies. I'll wait till EJ flights come out.

This is why it's always best to ask questions before making rash decisions:D

For what I am assuming are your days based on the information you've given, Skyscanner is showing loads of availability. Obviously I can't be sure but have you checked that site? It's always a problem when you're looking at the individual airlines sites as they do allocate seats to other online sites, plus if you are looking at going out on a budget airline and coming back on a normal airline, it won't come up.

Just remember, worst case scenario is that you'll have to have an extra day in Venice...

For what I am assuming are your days based on the information you've given, Skyscanner is showing loads of availability. Obviously I can't be sure but have you checked that site? It's always a problem when you're looking at the individual airlines sites as they do allocate seats to other online sites, plus if you are looking at going out on a budget airline and coming back on a normal airline, it won't come up.

Just remember, worst case scenario is that you'll have to have an extra day in Venice...

Sky scanner was my first port of call, nothing available for the dates we wanted, (importantly not getting into Venice at 10pm and leaving at 11pm or some such unearthly hours) and I was being pretty open, allowing a day or 2 either way.

Edited by stoneman56

The only other thing I'd suggest is to go to a bricks and mortar travel agent - they will be able to tell if you these flights are really all booked out or if it's something else. Unless there's a big event ending the day you leave Venice, it's pretty unlikely that all the flights except one in the morning or absurdly late out of Venice to any of the airports in London are booked solid. Hopefully they'll be able to shed some light!

We flew EasyJet to Venice earlier this year and if you do go with them, be very mindful of their carry on rules. I had to shove my small handbag in to my carry on and then they still checked it as it was an inch too long. My own stupidity for not double-checking! It was fine on the way out from LGW and no one questioned the size of the bag but on the way back, it suddenly was an issue (even though I knew the bag fit). Like I said though, I should have measured my bag and not just assumed.

Edited by callmehalia

The only other thing I'd suggest is to go to a bricks and mortar travel agent - they will be able to tell if you these flights are really all booked out or if it's something else. Unless there's a big event ending the day you leave Venice, it's pretty unlikely that all the flights except one in the morning or absurdly late out of Venice to any of the airports in London are booked solid. Hopefully they'll be able to shed some light!

We flew EasyJet to Venice earlier this year and if you do go with them, be very mindful of their carry on rules. I had to shove my small handbag in to my carry on and then they still checked it as it was an inch too long. My own stupidity for not double-checking! It was fine on the way out from LGW and no one questioned the size of the bag but on the way back, it suddenly was an issue (even though I knew the bag fit). Like I said though, I should have measured my bag and not just assumed.

When measuring the carry on case, make sure to include the wheels! :eek::eek:

I've seen people being so p'ed off ....

We were on the Spirit a few months ago. We got off the ship in Venice. We carried off our own luggage. We got up early and were one of the first off the ship. We had arranged a car to drive us to the Marco Polo airport to pick up a rental car. We were at the airport at 8:30 am. I can't help you with security at the airport as we just got a rental car. I can't imagine you could get to the airport any earlier than we did unless maybe you were in a suite.