Bayside Marketplace - Miami?

Tggrtoes

Considering whether to hang out here for a few hours after cruise before heading to FLL for flight. I know there is a carousel - someone on yelp mentioned a train and pony rides? I can't find any sign elsewhere that these things exist. Obviously, we can spend some time walking around looking at boats, but we're not going to be that interested in shopping itself so just seeing if there are other things of interest for adults and children.

Also - transportation - is the best way to get here via taxi? Or is there a water taxi or easy bus from the port to the marketplace? We may rent a car since we'll want someplace to store bags but just thinking through all options.

I still want to do the everglades tour, but DH is pushing against it given $$.

Considering whether to hang out here for a few hours after cruise before heading to FLL for flight.... We may rent a car since we'll want someplace to store bags but just thinking through all options.

My advice is to rent the car and NOT go to Bayside. ;) If you have a rental car, you have fabulous Miami at your disposal. Bayside Marketplace is not where I would want to spend any time if I had a choice, sorry.

Considering whether to hang out here for a few hours after cruise before heading to FLL for flight. I know there is a carousel - someone on yelp mentioned a train and pony rides? I can't find any sign elsewhere that these things exist. Obviously, we can spend some time walking around looking at boats, but we're not going to be that interested in shopping itself so just seeing if there are other things of interest for adults and children.

Also - transportation - is the best way to get here via taxi? Or is there a water taxi or easy bus from the port to the marketplace? We may rent a car since we'll want someplace to store bags but just thinking through all options.

I still want to do the everglades tour, but DH is pushing against it given $$.

when there is pony rides, it's a small circle set up with temporary fencing and a pony or two. They go around in the circle. It's expensive for what it is.

there is a kiddie train, something you would see at a mall or something.

Funny discussion . . .

When I lived in the San Fran area, all the locals PooPoo'd PIER 39 .... yet, every time I visited PIER 39 it was mobbed.

All tourists? Hmmmmm .... I doubt it. As a local, admitting to going to the local tourist haunt is uncool ... up to a point .....

Do folks who live in Orlando say, "do NOT go to Disney ... it is just a tourist trap."

BAYSIDE is NOT Disney ... nor even PIER 39 ... but I've spent many a pleasant day there ... when I lived in Miami and since. You can take a little boat ride and see the houses of the rich and famous ... and one once owned by Al Capone. You can get some Cuban food and a Mojito and visit the shops. Most times I've been there on a weekend there was free music and a lot of partying people.

IMO, a BETTER recommendation than "go to South Beach" .... WHERE on South Beach? Lumis, Jetty ????

Or go to Lincoln Road . . . no water and still touristy, but still considered COOL by the locals http://lincolnroadmall.com/about-lincoln-road/

Or Coconut Grove, another tourist place the locals still consider cool . . .

http://coconutgrove.com/about/

More time to kill? "THE" Miami mall is "the Falls" .. http://www.simon.com/mall/the-falls/about

the COOLEST thing to do?

The Venetian Pool is an aquatic facility unlike any other in the country. It has been enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world, and is still one of the main tourist attractions for those visiting the City of Coral Gables.

The pool was created in 1923 from a coral rock quarry, where much of the original coral rock was used to border and further accentuate the pool. It also features two large historic lookout towers, with a view to the City Beautiful.

The 820,000 gallon pool is fed with spring water from an underground aquifer. In the spring and summer seasons, the pool is filled and drained daily!

http://coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167

Edited by Capt_BJ

Funny discussion . . .

When I lived in the San Fran area, all the locals PooPoo'd PIER 39 .... yet, every time I visited PIER 39 it was mobbed.

All tourists? Hmmmmm .... I doubt it. As a local, admitting to going to the local tourist haunt is uncool ... up to a point .....

Do folks who live in Orlando say, "do NOT go to Disney ... it is just a tourist trap."

BAYSIDE is NOT Disney ... nor even PIER 39 ... but I've spent many a pleasant day there ... when I lived in Miami and since. You can take a little boat ride and see the houses of the rich and famous ... and one once owned by Al Capone. You can get some Cuban food and a Mojito and visit the shops. Most times I've been there on a weekend there was free music and a lot of partying people.

IMO, a BETTER recommendation than "go to South Beach" .... WHERE on South Beach? Lumis, Jetty ????

Or go to Lincoln Road . . . no water and still touristy, but still considered COOL by the locals http://lincolnroadmall.com/about-lincoln-road/

Or Coconut Grove, another tourist place the locals still consider cool . . .

http://coconutgrove.com/about/

More time to kill? "THE" Miami mall is "the Falls" .. http://www.simon.com/mall/the-falls/about

the COOLEST thing to do?

The Venetian Pool is an aquatic facility unlike any other in the country. It has been enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world, and is still one of the main tourist attractions for those visiting the City of Coral Gables.

The pool was created in 1923 from a coral rock quarry, where much of the original coral rock was used to border and further accentuate the pool. It also features two large historic lookout towers, with a view to the City Beautiful.

The 820,000 gallon pool is fed with spring water from an underground aquifer. In the spring and summer seasons, the pool is filled and drained daily!

http://coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167

NO one said Bayside was Disney nor have I ever heard any Orlando resident say not to go to Disney. Bayside in July? Have fun.

The Falls? If they want to get robbed in broad daylight.

What tourists hang out in the grove?

NO one said Bayside was Disney nor have I ever heard any Orlando resident say not to go to Disney. Bayside in July? Have fun.

The Falls? If they want to get robbed in broad daylight.

What tourists hang out in the grove?

Actually, The Falls mall is in one of the wealthiest areas in South Miami, and has very upscale stores. Not to say one cannot get robbed there, but it can happen, even in the nicest areas.

Just my opinion, but when I am a tourist, I like to hang out where the locals live and go out. Of course, one should visit the must-see sights of a city, but I get a better flavor for the city in the local areas. Coconut Grove has some great restaurants, shopping, boating, water sports, etc.

Actually, The Falls mall is in one of the wealthiest areas in South Miami, and has very upscale stores. Not to say one cannot get robbed there, but it can happen, even in the nicest areas.

Just my opinion, but when I am a tourist, I like to hang out where the locals live and go out. Of course, one should visit the must-see sights of a city, but I get a better flavor for the city in the local areas. Coconut Grove has some great restaurants, shopping, boating, water sports, etc.

Yes, my brother in law's uncle is a Mayor (not in that area and no, he isn't one of the felons) and was telling me about the rash of muggings at The Falls. It is being targeted because of the wealth there.

Yes, my brother in law's uncle is a Mayor (not in that area and no, he isn't one of the felons) and was telling me about the rash of muggings at The Falls. It is being targeted because of the wealth there.

the only place I mentioned that you didn't poopoo was Venetian Pool .... still composing that one? Dirty water? Too cold?

I lived about a mile from the Falls for several years ... we walked over for lunch and walked back .... never mugged. My daily exercise walk was to the Falls and thru surrounding neighborhoods .... never mugged . . . .

OH, only people with money go to the Falls so the crooks are there? As compared to South Beach .... Lincoln Mall .....

my brother in law's uncle's second cousin stayed in a Holiday Inn last night . . .

I was at the Falls just a few weeks ago and survived!

:rolleyes::p;)

Edited by Capt_BJ

the only place I mentioned that you didn't poopoo was Venetian Pool .... still composing that one? Dirty water? Too cold?

I lived about a mile from the Falls for several years ... we walked over for lunch and walked back .... never mugged. My daily exercise walk was to the Falls and thru surrounding neighborhoods .... never mugged . . . .

OH, only people with money go to the Falls so the crooks are there? As compared to South Beach .... Lincoln Mall .....

my brother in law's uncle's second cousin stayed in a Holiday Inn last night . . .

I was at the Falls just a few weeks ago and survived!

:rolleyes::p;)

Plenty of crooks in South Beach. I never said there weren't.

If you reread my post, there have been a rash of muggings at The Falls. I never "poo poo'd" Bayside. I just wouldn't go there during the day in the heat of the summer.