The food was HORRIBLE!!!!

princessh

This! Creating eye catching titles to get attention and then being offended by the feedback is ridiculous. Not to mention you solicited said feedback. Don't be offended when the majority disagree with your sweeping condemnation of every morsel of food onboard. It's the only thing you mentioned in your title. :rolleyes:

Great post.

Since I do most of the cooking at home. Any think on the ship is better then I have at home. But I'm not picky. I'm sure you get what you pay for. I rather eat what I get on Carnival and cruise 4 times a yr then have a better meal every night and only cruise 1 or 2 times a yr.. But I'm retired and have to worry about using all my vacation time

And a side of extra dressing??

I've only sailed on The Freedom, but find their food quite good, and I've sailed on HAL, RCL, Costa, Princess, and MSC. All are good, but not outstanding. The first time on The Freedom I ordered Caesar salad, I was disappointed. The main defining ingredient, anchovy, was nonexistent. The waiter insisted they were in there, but I couldn't taste any nor could any of my tablemates see any. I simply solved the problem by requesting a side dish of anchovies thereafter. It's not too much trouble for me to place them on my salad to be satisfied.

Edited by jimgo140

Sorry if my post of my and my family's opinion seems offend so many. You were not there eating the food. While your experience might have been different than mine, I am entitled to my opinion. I ate many things beside ceaser salad and grilled chicken. However there were nights where the only option was just that. Grilled chicken is not that hard to cook, but twice it was very rough and over cooked. Items on the buffet were not properly marked. When asked if items contained tree nuts the buffet servers went back to ask the chef. Never once did I see or get to speak to the chef. In my personal opinion and the opinion of my husband and in laws the food was over all not good. I simply wanted to know if this was the experience of other cruisers. I did not ask or deserve to be put down for MY opinion. It is after all mine and not yours.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

When you asked the question about tree nuts they should have been more definitive to give you an answer.

My wife has some highly unusual food allergies and they take great care of her in the main DR but we have learned to be very careful of her selections on lido.

You did make sweeping accusations against CCL and invited others to give you opinions and you got them. Sorry if you are in a very small minority.

This! Creating eye catching titles to get attention and then being offended by the feedback is ridiculous. Not to mention you solicited said feedback. Don't be offended when the majority disagree with your sweeping condemnation of every morsel of food onboard. It's the only thing you mentioned in your title. :rolleyes:

I've never been on a cruise where ALL the food was horrible. Some have had food that was worse than others, but I could never state that ALL the food was terrible. Even on the cruise which did have the worst food, there were redeeming dishes and meals. On the Breeze, it was the pizza and the Indian food.

I was on the Breeze a couple of weeks ago and I found the food to be very good. I've sailed NCL, RCCL, Disney and Carnival Dream. To me the food was very close to Disney, them being the best. The worse food was on the breakfast buffet. Limp greasy bacon and the yucky eggs benedict ( or whatever it was). But DH loved the freshly made omelets. I'm gluten intolerant but always found plenty to eat.

Sorry if my post of my and my family's opinion seems offend so many. You were not there eating the food. While your experience might have been different than mine, I am entitled to my opinion. I ate many things beside ceaser salad and grilled chicken. However there were nights where the only option was just that. Grilled chicken is not that hard to cook, but twice it was very rough and over cooked. Items on the buffet were not properly marked. When asked if items contained tree nuts the buffet servers went back to ask the chef. Never once did I see or get to speak to the chef. In my personal opinion and the opinion of my husband and in laws the food was over all not good. I simply wanted to know if this was the experience of other cruisers. I did not ask or deserve to be put down for MY opinion. It is after all mine and not yours.

If the chicken breast that you ordered was "rough and overcooked" why not send it back. And at the buffet, don't ask the servers, they may actually have very limited English Skills. Ask the Maitre 'd of the Buffet, there is one, and there are usually one or two Headwaiters wandering around. They would be the ones with the information that you would need. Most would probably bring a chef out to go down the buffet line with you and give you advice about which items were appropriate for you allergies.

Seems like there were some things that you could have done but didn't.

With a food allergy, there is a certain amount of personal knowledge that you would need to impart to the food services rather than just asking whether it has tree nuts in it.

No. But what a way to get attention for your simple question.

Okay' but you did say MOST nights you ordered the salad and chicken and MOST nights the chicken was bad. How does MOST now equal two? from your first post, you made it sound like practically every night you had salad, chicken and fries. Surely you see why others would wonder why you kept ordering them if you didn't like them?

Having family members with food allergies, IMO it is wise to ask to speak with the chef not just hope someone gives you accurate information.

I hate buffets. And I'm not really fond of banquet style preparations in the MDR, but I know going in that this is the reality when you sail the seven seas on a mass market cruise line. There are many different cooked to order options on the Breeze that you can have any time of the day. At breakfast, there is the omelet station or the Blue Iguana Cantina. For lunch, there is the Mongolian Wok, the pasta at the Cucina del Capitano, the deli, the pizza pirate, the Blue Iguana Cantina, Guy's Burgers. If need be, I believe all of these places are open for dinner as well, with the exception of the pasta bar at the Cucina.

Letting Carnival know ahead of time about the allergies, combined with enjoying many of the cooked to order options that are available on the Breeze would have made your cruise a more enjoyable experience.

We can choose a cruise vacation, or a great food vacation. There's no way to get both at the same time, at least not on the lines we would choose to sail these days.

Ever look into Celebrity and possibly staying in one of their Aqua Class cabins? With it you get to eat in Blu, which is open for breakfast and dinner daily and everything is cooked to order. And with the programs that they have been promoting such as Pick Your Perk, it offers real value in a upper tier mass market cruise line.

The wok is very dangerous for those with allergies.

The woks are swished clean between servings, the lids aren't cleaned til after service. The 'choose what you want' line is a battlefield for allergy sufferers.

OP, I also have a tree nut allergy (pretty severely allergic to almonds, mild allergy to others), and on our last sailing, my mom couldn't eat gluten, onion, garlic, and a couple of other things. We had ZERO issues finding something to eat.

For tree nut allergies, at least on a 2.0 ship, I have found most of the buffet to be safe. I stay away from anything that appears to have pesto in it - which are a few dishes. I should probably mention that I haven't eaten the regular buffet/taste of nations in quite some time. I usually stick to the burrito bar, mongolian wok, deli, guy's, or pizza (plus salad) - all of which are nut free zones in my experience. We have only sailed once with the pasta bar, but all I did was ask that they use a "pesto free" pan on the Dream for my pasta, which they happily accommodated. The dessert station can be VERY tricky, and I often avoid it as fellow passengers often cross contaminate items. That's okay with me though, as I don't care too much for the desserts on Lido.

For brunch and the dining room, they can accommodate just about any request. I was only told no on one dish, and I think it might have been one of the lasagnas? It had pesto layered inside. But I was able to eat everything else I wanted, they just modified the dish (same for Mom - they modified soups, etc for her to suit her needs).

It seems as though you maybe didn't have the best staff communicating with you, but if you have questions on the buffet, I have found it's better to find the Lido buffet host/manager vs asking someone serving on the line. You could even ask the maitre d' who to speak to up there. I've done that as well. :)

Hope you have better luck on your next sailing!

We have also cruised Disney, from a food standpoint we didnt find that the food tasted any better on either line, we did find that it was presented nicer on Disney, and enjoyed the theme restaurants and changing restaurants every night, but the taste was no better or worse than Carnival in our opinion. Also had 2 nights on Disney where every single appetizer had either mushrooms or seafood in them, both of which I detest, but I just skipped that and ordered what I liked. Both lines had a pretty good selection, we were always able to find something out of the many many choices that we liked :)

Edited by kelly11

Seems that OP's poor choice of a Topic Title created many replies that upset OP.

Soooo OP, please choose a tile next time that will match your actual question , instead of a bold statement such as you posted.

But in OP's defense , OP did respond after getting beat up here , Bravo !

Edited by MCC retired

My son also has a severe allergy to nuts and tree nuts and he was able to eat most everything on the buffet (this was on RCL) and most entrees and apps in the MDR. There's just so much to choose from I can't imagine anyone eating a rubbery piece of chicken every night. :eek:

Maybe the OP needs to do some research on her allergy so that she's better prepared to make proper food choices.

Seems that OP's poor choice of a Topic Title created many replies that upset OP.

Soooo OP, please choose a tile next time that will match your actual question , instead of a bold statement such as you posted.

But in OP's defense , OP did respond after getting beat up here , Bravo !

She did respond but have to say after about 25 cruises on about 12 different Carival ships find it hard to believe the food was so bad she had to go to great lengths to find anything at all edible.

My children and I were on the Breeze this past spring (April 2014) - and while I thought the menu choices weren't to my liking, I did find a happy medium with those I ordered. I loved the chilled soups (hoping and looking forward to them on the Freedom). If there was just nothing in the menu that appealed to me, I ordered the vegetarian (Indian) dish -- it always hits the spot. I hope the food description didn't stop you from trying the foods -- you can always ask for another dish if the first isn't to your liking.

Oddly enough, my kids and I all agree, Disney rated worst in food category amongst the ships we've been on - not many but 3 sailings for them and 4 for me. They thought Carnival Dream was the best. They hit the pasta and sushi bars mercilessly.:D