Sunglasses! Any recs for tough ones that won't cost a lot?

alligeek

Hello everyone! We're leaving for our cruise next week and I'm trying to find sunglasses that will a) survive being thrown from a 6 foot drop and b) don't cost a lot, just in case they end up in the ocean. :)

My DH loves giving our 4 year old son piggyback rides, and DS loves taking DH's sunglasses off--which has resulted in more than a few replacement pairs. I'd prefer to spend somewhere between $20-50, knowing that they don't need to be heirloom quality.

Thanks so much.

We bought Floats in St Thomas (in Havenhurst) in March. They're great, polarized, stylish & $30. It's a Miami based company. I don't know if you have enough time to get them sent before you leave. Web site is floats.com. Many styles. Good luck & have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For from between $20 and $80 there are OverRX glasses. They slip over your RX glasses and have a recessed area that lets them fit up close and comfortable. I often find at my eye doctors and cheaper at the drugstore or target etc and I have had good luck with the ones from LensCrafter. Come in small, medium and large. I usually need a medium or large to go over my ladies wire rims (medium) plastic temples (large). Some of these glasses are downright ugly --think cataract surgery specs but I have a fairly nice collection now of colored large (red/blue some jeweled)/tortoise shell and a small pair that fits in my purse really well. These really protect your eyes (I have super sensitive eyes), wrap around enough to keep glare down and are easy on and off and feel comfortable. I much prefer these coverups to the RX sunglasses I had for years. Much less cost if you wear glasses.

UVA/UVB/UVC AND POLARIZED please. You're going to be on the water, and the beach - both places that heavily reflect the sun.

Check the Oakley Vault website - it's Oakley's outlet. Sometimes they will have a good deal on some sunglasses.

Maybe instead of new glasses, you could get one of those "headbands" that holds your glasses securely to your head -- you know what I mean: Athletes and white water rafters use them to keep their sunglasses in place. Croakies? They're cheap. I've even seen them as give-aways from various companies.

Second suggestion: Check your insurance to see if they'll pay for new glasses every year or every two years. If you don't need your benefits for RX glasses, you can get a pair of plain sunglasses -- nice ones -- paid mostly by your insurance.

Mine are RX, but I LOVE my RayBans; they're nicer and more comfortable than cheap-o drugstore sunglasses. They're my second pair of RX sunglasses, both paid by insurance. My eyes are bad enough now that I feel 100% safer wearing glasses while I drive, and I don't like choosing between safety and sun-comfort.

I know this sounds crazy, but the best sunglasses I ever had are the $7.50 ones I get at Ross Dress for Less. I wear smaller sized glasses fulltime, so I get a bigger pair of the cheapies, and wear them over my regular. I had two pair, left one at a restaurant that someone snatched up, and still wear the other pair. If they get broken or lost, I'm out $7.50, and go get another pair.

They are very attactive, and I get/got compliments on them all the time.

Edited by pcur

My best are all designer brands that usually aren't cheap. My favorites are my Kate Spade and RayBan's (non prescription as I don't wear glasses). The best place I've found to get designer glasses cheaper is at Nordstrom's Rack. They have a lot. I got my goto pair of "cheap" Coach sunglasses there for $65. I've taken them on every cruise for 5 years and they have held up great. Nordstrom's Rack always has a lot of different ones and they are much cheaper but much better made than the $10 cheapies from Target, etc.

We bought Floats in St Thomas (in Havenhurst) in March. They're great, polarized, stylish & $30. It's a Miami based company. I don't know if you have enough time to get them sent before you leave. Web site is floats.com. Many styles. Good luck & have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just checked your link (as I'm also in the market for sunglasses) and it brought me to the A&W Root Beer site. Correct link is floatsinc.com. :D

Edited by TrishOB