Beds on Royal Princess - are they really so bad?

ellie1145

Reading reviews of Royal Princess some people say the beds are narrow, short and uncomfortable.

Is this really the case?:eek:

I regularly participate in the Princess forum's discussions but have never read such comments about the Royal's pillow-top mattresses. :eek:

I've only read positive comments from those who have sailed on the Royal & Regal and having slept 17 nights on the Royal the mattresses are the same width & length and to me easily the most comfortable mattress on any Princess ship.

There are pros & cons about the new Princess ships but have never read any negative comments about their mattresses & don't think you need to worry about them. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Its a fairly new ship! Where are you reading that?

IIRC there was a previous ship called "Royal Princess" - the 1984 ship that moved to P&O as Artemis in 2005.

Could the reviews of poor beds be referring to that ship?

Edited by lake5298

IIRC there were two previous ships called "Royal Princess" - first the ship that moved to P&O as Artemis, and subsequently one of the ex-Renaissance ships.

Could the reviews of poor beds be referring to one of those?

That was quite awhile ago, I suppose its possible but can anyone even pull up reviews under the old names? I have not seen any.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I regularly participate in the Princess forum's discussions but have never read such comments about the Royal's pillow-top mattresses. :eek:

I've only read positive comments from those who have sailed on the Royal & Regal and having slept 17 nights on the Royal the mattresses are the same width & length and to me easily the most comfortable mattress on any Princess ship.

There are pros & cons about the new Princess ships but have never read any negative comments about their mattresses & don't think you need to worry about them. :)

Completely agree. I'm no fan of Royal/Regal but haven't heard a bad word about the beds.

The beds wee WONDERFUL on the Royal. They are the same queen size as all Queen size beds. I slept like a baby on the Royal. Please do not take one review and think it is the way it is. I also have never seen any complaints about the beds and wonder where you saw that.

Its a fairly new ship! Where are you reading that?

On some of the reviews of the ship on Cruise Critic. I did take it with a pinch of salt as having sailed on Diamond last October we never had a problem with the bed, but just wanted to confirm that this was nonsense. ;) This gentleman seemed unhappy with most aspects of his 2 night (!!!!) cruise.

Thanks everyone!

We were in Deck 9 Dolphin 709, a standard balcony room. This is the first big issue I have with the Royal. The room was minute, and this coming from someone who usually prefers inside cabins. The beds were stupidly short. Im 6ft 3" and my legs went well over the end of the bed, not to mention the narrowness, which bing a big bloke was very much an issue. It was rock hard as well. I thanked my foresight in only booking the 2 nighter. Much more in this bed would have crippled me.

Edited by ellie1145

On some of the reviews of the ship on Cruise Critic. I did take it with a pinch of salt as having sailed on Diamond last October we never had a problem with the bed, but just wanted to confirm that this was nonsense. ;) This gentleman seemed unhappy with most aspects of his 2 night (!!!!) cruise.

Thanks everyone!

We were in Deck 9 Dolphin 709, a standard balcony room. This is the first big issue I have with the Royal. The room was minute, and this coming from someone who usually prefers inside cabins. The beds were stupidly short. Im 6ft 3" and my legs went well over the end of the bed, not to mention the narrowness, which bing a big bloke was very much an issue. It was rock hard as well. I thanked my foresight in only booking the 2 nighter. Much more in this bed would have crippled me.

Things like this said in CC passenger reviews are too often one sided editorial comments & thus useless to me. The reviews I read on the forums where it's possible to ask questions about opinions which are not always factual are much more helpful to me. Princess is gradually replacing mattresses on all ships with the type in the new ships. On the older ships they also have a pillow-top mattress pad cover available which to me was far superior to the old eggcrate mattress pads. :)

WOW...bed comfort is subjective but to me that "opinion" is not factual & the only one I've read that had that "opinion". :eek: I have spinal problems & the mattress was very comfortable for me. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I too thought the beds on the Royal were great. I'm 6'2" and the bed was plenty long for me. Very comfortable - no issues. Also, I've been on the 'old' Royal (small ship) and never thought once about complaining about the bed - so, that can't be it. Anyway, enjoy your cruise and New Years on-board celebrations! Go to bed as late or as early as you desire and don’t think twice about sleeping well.

I've read for awhile about the complaints of Princess' beds. Before I even knew about the complaints I have always remarked on each cruise how much I love the Princess beds. I don't know if it's because I'm so relaxed on vacation that I sleep like a baby or their beds are just my type but I distinctly remember saying to my husband on the Grand, Ruby, Golden, Coral and Island how much I love the Princess beds.

I guess it really is a matter of opinion.