Soot Problem on Royal and Regal

DShock

Ship runs on oil... you can not fully burn the exhaust of carbon particles. ( matter can not be created or destroyed it only changes form. Whether turbines or Diesel/electric

The ship also creates even in calm air a wake of air the tumbles down the ships sides to the stern that is a low pressure or small vacuum that sucks everything in

Look at the rear window of a van or back of a semi-truck.... Race cars draft on each others aft....

The only option is switch to using nuclear reactors which run clean...

The 16 other Princess ships also run on oil but do not have this problem.

I would have to go back and read Dave's "Everything Royal" thread to be 100% sure. But I thought he posted he had heard that when they did wind tunnel testing it was without MUTS. Something that large aft of the funnels could change wind characteristics and might have more of an influence then the builders expected. I do know it was discussed on his thread.

I would have to go back and read Dave's "Everything Royal" thread to be 100% sure. But I thought he posted he had heard that when they did wind tunnel testing it was without MUTS. Something that large aft of the funnels could change wind characteristics and might have more of an influence then the builders expected. I do know it was discussed on his thread.

MUTS is forward of the funnels and it still has an effect on the flow!!!

Lanwood. We decided like you did and changed our booking from an owner's suite to a penthouse suite on the Royal next year. I didn't want to risk that extra money for a problem that may or may not be fixed.

The only problem is the balcony on all the Penthouse Suites is so small as to be unusable all the time. At least the balcony on the Owners Suites maybe usable some of the time.

The only problem is the balcony on all the Penthouse Suites is so small as to be unusable all the time. At least the balcony on the Owners Suites maybe usable some of the time.

Hi RocketMan, the Penthouse suites are not aft suites but more towards the center. Do they get soot? I've only saw 1 comment about mid ship balconies with soot. Please advise.

Hi RocketMan, the Penthouse suites are not aft suites but more towards the center. Do they get soot? I've only saw 1 comment about mid ship balconies with soot. Please advise.

I know the penthouse suites are along the sides of the ship and not on the stern. I don't think they get soot but that is beside the point that I consider the penthouse suite balconies too small to be useful. IMO, you have a choice of a penthouse suite balcony that is so small that it is unusable all the time, or an owners suite which may not be usable some of the time. At least with an owners suite you have a chance for a usable balcony.

I know the penthouse suites are along the sides of the ship and not on the stern. I don't think they get soot but that is beside the point that I consider the penthouse suite balconies too small to be useful. IMO, you have a choice of a penthouse suite balcony that is so small that it is unusable all the time, or an owners suite which may not be usable some of the time. At least with an owners suite you have a chance for a usable balcony.

Ah....I missed your point the first time. Thank you for the clarification.

• 3 months later...
Was on Regal sailing of 8 March and experienced exactly zero soot issues. We were in Owners Suite on Dolphin.

Wow, great to hear!! We'll be in an Aft deluxe on Baja in just 3 days and were a bit worried about the soot. This is our first Aft balcony cabin on ANY ship :eek: Can't wait!!

Wow, great to hear!! We'll be in an Aft deluxe on Baja in just 3 days and were a bit worried about the soot. This is our first Aft balcony cabin on ANY ship :eek: Can't wait!!

I don't believe that anything in particular has been done to address the issue, at least on the Regal. Just because one cabin did not expereince any soot does not mean its been resolved. On the Regal in November there was plenty near the aft dipping pool. :(

I'm surprised the environmentalists have not gotten on Princess for the pollution to the ocean and danger to living in water. Maybe that will be what it takes for Princess to rectify the situation.

I'm surprised the environmentalists have not gotten on Princess for the pollution to the ocean and danger to living in water. Maybe that will be what it takes for Princess to rectify the situation.

All the ships put out the same. Some of the newer ones are better, its just the design that the soot goes behind the ship and into the water. They goofed and it hits the back of the ship.

We were on the March 22, 2015 sailing in R735. We really enjoyed the large, quiet balcony, but there was soot. One day a lot and one day none and just a little on the other days. We put towels on the chairs and flip flops on our feet. Riviera deck is high and totally exposed. I will try to attach a couple of pictures. One is of the table top with the soot on the bad day. It was not so bad that we didn't enjoy our wake views.attachment.php?attachmentid=345112&stc=1&d=1427976952

image.jpg.97d3e787f2026baf2887b10a81beafd1.jpg

Edited by Cruising Judge

We also were on the March 22nd sailing in cabin E729. We had soot everyday in varying degrees. Our cabin steward only cleaned it if we asked. We kept cheap flip flops from Old Navy in front of the slider and slipped them on whenever we went onto the deck and back off again just inside so we wouldn't track any into the cabin. We also put towels on the chairs. We were prepared to have soot so it didn't bother us at all. The view was spectacular.

We also were on the March 22nd sailing in cabin E729. We had soot everyday in varying degrees. Our cabin steward only cleaned it if we asked. We kept cheap flip flops from Old Navy in front of the slider and slipped them on whenever we went onto the deck and back off again just inside so we wouldn't track any into the cabin. We also put towels on the chairs. We were prepared to have soot so it didn't bother us at all. The view was spectacular.

You took it very well; but I think it's outrageous to pay that much for a wonderful stateroom and balcony and then have to deal with that. I did it once--never again.

After experiencing the soot problem first hand on the Royal I will never book an aft cabin again on this class of ship. We learned our lesson. And when we cruised the royal we couldn't even hang out by that aft dipping pool as the smell was absolutely awful.

And we are usually happy-go-lucky cruisers not letting the little things bother us.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just been offered an upgrade. The choices are C514 Deck 10 (Caribe) or B616 Deck 11 (Baja). We have to make a decision ASAP. Pros - Cons anyone? Will we have a problem with soot on either of these? Thanks in advance.