Rotterdam drydock

calteacher

Please give us some details.

That's about all I know, the design will mimic a little of Koningdam apparently. I'm not sure if they are touching cabins or if it's more public space, I know the MDR is getting an update.

I didn't pry for details.

• 6 months later...

MS Rotterdam is going into drydock in Hamburg from April 7th till April 21th. I just read the info on a Dutch website. So it will take 2 weeks. Does ayone know if this is a routine drydock like fresh paint etc. Or will they also change carpets and furniture, create new cabins or whatever?

Edited by harola

MS Rotterdam is going into drydock in Hamburg from April 7th till April 21th. I just read the info on a Dutch website. So it will take 2 weeks. Does ayone know if this is a routine drydock like fresh paint etc. Or will they also change carpets and furniture, create new cabins or whatever?

Carpet renewal and re-upholstering is part of a "routine" drydock. It's usually not done wholesale, but on a cost to benefit basis.

Great news. We will be on her May 16 and I had been hearing talk about how she is a bit worn. So looking forward to hearing any details about the dry docking.

Does anyone know whether the April dry dock will be the aforementioned "fairly extensive internal public room facelift" or just a carpet and upholstery refresh?

We're sailing on her in June, and hope it is the former...

There will be a BB Kings group after her refurb.

Sweet! Wonder if the "retreat" 2 inch deep pool will be replaced by something a bit more practical for the many Northern European cruises she sails...but that's probably hoping for too much.

Sweet! Wonder if the "retreat" 2 inch deep pool will be replaced by something a bit more practical for the many Northern European cruises she sails...but that's probably hoping for too much.

Donot count on that (unfortunately). After replacing the real aft pool with that knee deep funny thing, new cabins were put underneath incl. some aft cabins.

We just disembarked (April 6th) - dry dock going ahead in next two weeks and activity already apparent; carpets and lounges being replaced; the ship is already completely lovely; we had a wonderful fantastic cruise!!!

P.

prior experience; 200 cruise days with HAL (different ships) and around 250 with others.

No I do not. It was at the other social media site I read about it. I asked HAL and will let you know when they respond.

Thanks. Right now I can't imagine where they are going to go. There's no place, without taking over a place currently providing a different atmosphere.

We just disembarked (April 6th) - dry dock going ahead in next two weeks and activity already apparent; carpets and lounges being replaced; the ship is already completely lovely; we had a wonderful fantastic cruise!!!

P.

prior experience; 200 cruise days with HAL (different ships) and around 250 with others.

I'm glad you had a good cruise. Are you saying that they started pulling up carpets while you were still on your cruise when you said that activity already apparent? If so, I hope it didn't get in the way of your own personal enjoyment. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Right now I can't imagine where they are going to go. There's no place, without taking over a place currently providing a different atmosphere.

I read on the internet that the band will play in the Crows nest on a newly redesigned stage.

I'm glad you had a good cruise. Are you saying that they started pulling up carpets while you were still on your cruise when you said that activity already apparent? If so, I hope it didn't get in the way of your own personal enjoyment. Thanks for sharing.

They had started loading the new carpets at various ports before disembarkation and members of staff were all preparing for dry dock in Hamburg (they seemed pretty excited about it). Around 450 contractors board the ship; they stay on board (eating/sleeping) for the two weeks. They are replacing a lounge completely (think it is the Explorers lounge). Didn't hear anything about changes to the floating chair pool; seems carpets/lounges in the main.

I read on the internet that the band will play in the Crows nest on a newly redesigned stage.

HAL answered me and said that it will be in the Queens lounge. Is there a queens lounge on The ship?

Is there a queens lounge on The ship?

I just checked the deck plans and don't see one. Is this going to be an addition during dry dock? If so, where on earth will they put it?

There is a (poor) webcam at the Hamburg shipyards. Rotterdam isn't appearing in any of the shots yet. Perhaps she hasn't gotten there yet. Anyway, you may want to check periodically to see if the camera shows the ship while there.

http://www.hafen-hamburg.de/webcam-neuhof

Edited by jhannah

HAL answered me and said that it will be in the Queens lounge. Is there a queens lounge on The ship?

Not that I know of (and I've spent well over 100 days on that ship). :rolleyes:

But we all know how reliable the info out of Seattle is.

I think your first answer of Crow's Nest is probably the best guess. There isn't a lot of popular entertainment up there at night; we're constantly begged to head up there! Plus, the BB King schedule is such that the room can still be used as a disco for the staff later on.

• 2 weeks later...

We will sail the Rotterdam in June to the Baltics. It is our first cruise with Hall and we are really looking forward to this cruise. It is an hour drive to the port so no flying for us. I know most people will be a bit older and there will be lots of Dutch people on board so it will be a different experience for us.

In May we will visit the ship with our ta. Maybe I can take pictures of the new lounges.