Best option from Vancouver to Seattle ?

uvasag

Our cruise sails from Seward and returns back to Vancouver. I'm trying to price options. Return flights from YVR are costlier as opposed to Seattle. So I'm thinking of flying home from Seattle. We are a family of 4. What would be our best option for VYR to Seattle ? I'll take the flight out of SEA the next day so also have to consider spending the night in Seattle and doing some touristy stuff in Seattle. Would one way car rental be our best option ? Any idea how much it would be ?

Our cruise sails from Seward and returns back to Vancouver. I'm trying to price options. Return flights from YVR are costlier as opposed to Seattle. So I'm thinking of flying home from Seattle. We are a family of 4. What would be our best option for VYR to Seattle ? I'll take the flight out of SEA the next day so also have to consider spending the night in Seattle and doing some touristy stuff in Seattle. Would one way car rental be our best option ? Any idea how much it would be ?

I would look into bringing the train down to Seattle. It runs several times a day from downtown Vancouver to downtown Seattle.

We are taking the same cruise next year and we are going to be taking the train.

For the train - there are two options 6:30 am or 6:30 pm. We are taking the train on Tuesday morning so that we can enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Enjoy planning.

The train is surprisingly inexpensive and a pleasant trip. Probably costs less than one way rental fee plus gas from Vancouver. In Seattle you could take the Metro light rail to SEATAC and rent a car locally if you want to drive around for a while, maybe stay out near airport for less than downtown if staying overnight.

Train will give the best scenery but there is also a bus service that runs a regular schedule and drops off at a couple places in Seattle as well as the airport if you were going directly there and not staying overnight. Light rail is great to get from downtown to the airport but just be mindful of where your hotel would be and the closest station as you may have to hike some hills. Also, at the airport it is a fairly decent walk from the train to terminal.

Train will give the best scenery but there is also a bus service that runs a regular schedule and drops off at a couple places in Seattle as well as the airport if you were going directly there and not staying overnight. Light rail is great to get from downtown to the airport but just be mindful of where your hotel would be and the closest station as you may have to hike some hills. Also, at the airport it is a fairly decent walk from the train to terminal.

Thank you. Train doesn't seem the option to me. I just priced the tix for the 4 of us and it is coming to around $120. I think a one way car rental would be the same. I haven't gotten around to pricing that yet. Will check the bus option.

There are chartered motor coaches - purchase a transfer from NCL

for travel from the ship to the SEA airport. Most of the time you catch a

witting informative driver and the trip takes about 3-4 hours depending

on Customs and Border Inspection.

That is if you just want to get on an airplane and head on home.

Another Option - Quick Shuttle operates several time daily from either

YVR or SEA some non stop and some with multiple city stops LINK:

http://www.quickcoach.com

Amtrak as mentioned previously is one of the best relaxing; best viewing

and overall travel experiences with a cavet - - -

Leaving the ship need a vehicle to get to the train station and at the other

end a vehicle to get from the train station to the airport.

Check out what hotels can offer in free or chartered transportation from/to

hotel and airport/train station that is if spending the night before air travel.

Do no recommend renting a car hassles of boarder crossing with the rental !

And you are absolutely right the airfares going into and leaving Canada are

atrociously out of sight - Best option ground transport to SEA airport also

check on a commuter flight from YVR to SEA (sometimes the fare can be

the same as the chartered bus or train without all the intermediate transportation.

Beware travel can be next to impossible at the last moment when several

cruise ships are making port call - everything is booked - plan ahead !

We did this in September 2012 after our DCL Alaskan cruise. We did a one-way car rental from Vancouver to Seattle. I think it was $130ish with Avis. I made the reservation pretty far in advance and then just rebooked it every time the price dropped. We had a 3pm or 5pm flight out of SEA so we ended up with plenty of time in Seattle before the flight. We mostly just drove around and hung out in West Seattle. Best of luck!

Oh, and there weren't any hassles regarding crossing the border with a rental. It was about an hour wait, a look at passports, a question to each person in the car, and we were off.

Edited by jenf22