Dinner reso and kids bailing

Kkross

What happens if we make dinner reservations and our kids decide they don't want to go? Are we still charged?

Actually, the OP didn't ask how anyone handles their kids being flakes or the rules families have on spending time together.

OP - you may be charged. If you're ok with losing some money than include them on the reservation. If you're not ok with losing some money myabe make the reservation for just 2 and see if they can be added last minute.

While the words may not have been there, they were asking "what should I do". If they truly did not want this to become what it has (and anyone who has been on CC for any amount of time should realize it would) they should have simply asked "What happens if we make dinner reservations and one of our party doesn't make it? Are we still charged?"

Of course, then they would have gotten the why are sailing with people who can't make up their mind line, but better than including the kids in the question.

to the OP, was formulating my response as you posted. It does take a thick skin around here if you are willing to post.

Edited by akcruz

OK, just noticed the username, and I just have to ask...

Is that name taken from Kris Kross, the rappers who's primary claim to fame was wearing their clothes backwards? :cool:

I'm not sure who Kris Kross is, I'm showing my age! so I'm Going to go with a no to this question. Ironically, when getting dressed this morning, I did put my shirt on backwards at first :o

I think pcur's answer was better than the backhand way I did it.

Make a reservation for 2. If the kids want to hang with friends and have something more casual that night rather than a 2 hour meal with mom and dad you don't have to worry. If they decide to feel sorry for old mom and pop and want to tag along for big eats - then show up with 4 and ask for a larger table.

Either way - no extra fee, no sweat on who eats where. Who knows, maybe husband and wife might enjoy a little candle light and alone time. :D

Edited by temple1

Cause one is 12 and the other 19??

And just why is a 12 year year old making the decisions for the family? when my kids were that age I gave them the opportunity for input on vacations, but i did not give them the final say decision making. My wife and I did that because its called being a parent, we did have a child run household.

time to be a parent.

And just why is a 12 year year old making the decisions for the family? when my kids were that age I gave them the opportunity for input on vacations, but i did not give them the final say decision making. My wife and I did that because its called being a parent, we did have a child run household.

time to be a parent.

Please, please...PLEASE show where exactly it's says I was letting any one of kids make any choice when and if I eat?!? I ASKED if I'd be charged in the event one of them didn't show up.

I did however add you to my list experts. THANK YOU!!!

Hmmm, which would I prefer?

A. A nice quiet dinner for 2.

B. A dinner shared with a sulky 12 y/o and a 19 y/o who would rather be anywhere at that time than sharing a table that cost me over $140 and know that I won because the family is together?

:rolleyes:

It is one week out of their lives, lighten up. The OP can return to being the the whip snapping parent of the neighborhood.

Make the reservation for 2, if your kids decide go. Just show up to the restaurant and the staff will probably add them. Everytime I've eaten at a speciality restaurant there's been plenty of empty tables and extra room.

AZmike480

I disagree with you on this Mike!

The manager of the CHOPS on the Vision recently explained to me that she had two chefs and that they could cook meals for 20 people every 30 minutes. She explained that that was why they accepted reservation for only 20 people every 30 minutes. as more people came in at 30 minute intervals, the restaurant filled up.

I had asked her "Where is everyone?" when we were seated at 6 pm and the place was almost empty.

This made sense to me once it was explained.

So even though there may be empty seats, adding more people could easily overwhelm the kitchen staff and, in turn, screw up things for people with later reservations.

Make the reservation for 2, if your kids decide go. Just show up to the restaurant and the staff will probably add them. Everytime I've eaten at a speciality restaurant there's been plenty of empty tables and extra room.

AZmike480

OP - this is risky - could go either way.

Remember as well, any res made on line prior to cruise your cc will be immediately charged.

If I were you - Id discuss with kids - if they are leaning towards not wanting to go - Id make the res for 2 and let them know they were on their own to eat elsewhere that night. If they think they want to go - let them know there will be no turning back as you will be charged for their meal. Hopefully they will be mature enough to understand the fact that they shouldn't cause you to pay for something they dont' want to do and won't enjoy

Simple. Make reservations for four on the evening you like and tell everyone we are eating at this certain dining venue at this time with no exceptions. If it was me I’d also inform the 2 kids I’m paying for this vacation and I’m allowing you to join me!

Edited by davekathy

That's great in theory. But...do t want to be a fun hater if they are hanging out with friends.

Yup, nothing worse than sitting across the table from a kid that doesn't want to be there.

I think what I would do is ask them now if they want to sit down for a fancy meal with mom & dad or grab some food elsewhere with friends. With that choice they will take the latter and you can cancel their reservations now and save the up charge. :p

If you want to eat dinner together some of the nights do it in a free venue. :)

When we are on a family vacation, and we are paying for the kid's expenses, one of the very few rules we have is that we all eat dinner together each night. There's plenty of time outside of dinnertime for them to do other things.

Yup...100%. We cruised with our 4 sons, starting at ages 5-10. They are now 24-29, still love cruising, and still great guys. In the old days of tighter dress codes, and long dinners, they actually looked forward to dinner together!

In 1995.... No game boys either on board- find something to do. And they really learned to love that rule too!

I'm not sure who Kris Kross is, I'm showing my age! so I'm Going to go with a no to this question. Ironically, when getting dressed this morning, I did put my shirt on backwards at first :o

I may well be of a similar age to you! I'm sure I couldn't recognize a single song of theirs (nor would I really want to!), definitely not a fan of rap at all! The only reason I remember them was that backward clothes thing. And I don't mean inside out, but truly backwards - they'd wear shirts buttoned up in the back, and pants with the zipper in the back... About as stupid as their music, IMHO! :D

While the words may not have been there, they were asking "what should I do". If they truly did not want this to become what it has (and anyone who has been on CC for any amount of time should realize it would) they should have simply asked "What happens if we make dinner reservations and one of our party doesn't make it? Are we still charged?"

Of course, then they would have gotten the why are sailing with people who can't make up their mind line, but better than including the kids in the question.

to the OP, was formulating my response as you posted. It does take a thick skin around here if you are willing to post.

No, the OP was asking if he/she would be charged not what should he/she do. Offer up unsolicited advice all you want but don't make it to be anything other than that.

I disagree with you on this Mike!

The manager of the CHOPS on the Vision recently explained to me that she had two chefs and that they could cook meals for 20 people every 30 minutes. She explained that that was why they accepted reservation for only 20 people every 30 minutes. as more people came in at 30 minute intervals, the restaurant filled up.

I had asked her "Where is everyone?" when we were seated at 6 pm and the place was almost empty.

This made sense to me once it was explained.

So even though there may be empty seats, adding more people could easily overwhelm the kitchen staff and, in turn, screw up things for people with later reservations.

Today was not a complete waste, as I sit here waiting for our "friends" to show so we can go to dinner. I did not realize they were that limited on how many meals they could prepare at a time. Good to know.

Best bet for op is to make the reservation on board when he has a better idea of what's what.

It's dinner ONE night, correct? They can't go to dinner with you for a nice family meal? Sorry, but my two boys would have been told we are doing dinner as a family on this night at this time and when we're done, you can go find your new "friends" who you will probably never see again after this cruise. I just don't think it's that hard to expect them to eat with you for that one meal.

The other option is to give them the choice now and stick with it. If they say no, now, they are out of luck and can find dinner elsewhere, if they say yes, then they have to show up. Hold them to their word.

It's dinner ONE night, correct? They can't go to dinner with you for a nice family meal? Sorry, but my two boys would have been told we are doing dinner as a family on this night at this time and when we're done, you can go find your new "friends" who you will probably never see again after this cruise. I just don't think it's that hard to expect them to eat with you for that one meal.

The other option is to give them the choice now and stick with it. If they say no, now, they are out of luck and can find dinner elsewhere, if they say yes, then they have to show up. Hold them to their word.

It was a general question. But, we did book multiple dinners. All I was wondering since soooo many ppl have cruised on RCI multiple times what the policy may or may not be. Now that I know we will be charged, i know how I will enforce or not enforce their presences.

Btw...on what days do they offer the gifted parenting classes on the cruise?

Edited by Kkross