Carnival Cruise Lines Intros Steakhouse Dishes in Main Dining Room

LauraS

They had this last week on the Liberty. It was a nice option for some in our group who just didn't like anything on the new menus certain night. The only draw back is it did take a little longer for those entrees to arrive at the table than those from the main galley.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think this is a great idea. I won't eat in the steakhouse because it's $30 per person, which is reasonable, but DW is not overly fond of steak and she'd order chicken. I am not going to pay $30 for chicken;). Now I can have my steak (or lobster I notice:)) and she can have something that doesn't cost me extra. Win win.

Edited by sparks1093

I feel like they tried this a couple of years ago. I may be crazy, but I thought they did it on ships that didn't have the steakhouse.

Yeah. They tried it on 4 ships. It failed. People were ordering the selections, which obviously were the best choices on the menu, and then were told there was a fee.

I'm curious how they are shouting about that fee now, but how disappointing from a PR standpoint that the included food is the lesser appealing meals on the menu.

But $20 for an upgrade on a grade of meat is a bit steep.

I think this is a great idea. I won't eat in the steakhouse because it's $30 per person, which is reasonable, but DW is not overly fond of steak and she'd order chicken. I am not going to pay $30 for chicken;). Now I can have my steak (or lobster I notice:)) and she can have something that doesn't cost me extra. Win win.

It's actually $35, but I don't foresee too many lobster orders on formal night, when for $20 you get a large tail, or for nothing you can have 25 or more.

I'm thrilled about this. DH & I always eat at the steakhouse at least twice; but on one of our upcoming cruises it will just be us and our young children (3 and 1.5). We will not bring them to the steakhouse, so thought we would have to miss out. Delighted to see that we will not.

I wonder if they will offer any of the Steakhouse appetizers or salads.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really don't love this idea. My DW and I are not bug steak eaters, however, a night in the steakhouse is always on the plans. It's a whole different experience from the main dining room. We love it, even though on land we would never visit this type of steakhouse. The way I look at it, you get a Ruth's Chris experience for 70% off.

There goes Carnival

Trying to compete, with RCCL, in MDR extra dining fees:p

Personally, I wouldn't pay any extra, in the MDR

I would prefer to pay a few more dollars and get the whole steakhouse dining experience

It's actually $35, but I don't foresee too many lobster orders on formal night, when for $20 you get a large tail, or for nothing you can have 25 or more.

If the price has increased then this is an even better deal (spend $20 instead of $70? Heck yeah!) There are plenty of other nights to order lobster other than formal night, but there is a difference between a 1.5 pound Maine lobster and a rock lobster tail (and a 1.5 Maine lobster for $20? Heck yeah!).

This is an option in the MDR on ships that do not have a steak house on board-like the Fantasy class ships. If there is a steak house on board, then it wont be offered. At least that is what I understood. I hope this isn't a way to make the regular food worse, in order for you to pay more for something edible., but I will give it a try on my next cruise.

This is an option in the MDR on ships that do not have a steak house on board-like the Fantasy class ships. If there is a steak house on board, then it wont be offered. At least that is what I understood. I hope this isn't a way to make the regular food worse, in order for you to pay more for something edible., but I will give it a try on my next cruise.

I asked and it will be fleet wide on all ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimbo5544

I don't believe in encouraging them to add cost to something that normally is included in the price of the cruise. I always find plenty to eat on the menu from the MDR. If everyone keeps paying what they ask for then the prices will only get higher, but that's up to you, enjoy.

This option was available on the Imagination however we did not try any of the offerings. The food (keep in mind my opinion) in the dining room was not that great and I could not imagine the same chefs cooking something worth $20 more. Of course since I did not try anything on the extra cost menu so I could absolutely be wrong and missed out a good meal.