Which Panama Canal Cruise?

sabrefan

Oceania Regatta has two Panama Canal cruise transits in January 2016. One goes from Los Angeles to Miami for 16 days and the other is Miami to Lima for 18 days. Both cruises have interesting stops. Just wondering about what others on to forum who may have taken these cruises think?

Oceania Regatta has two Panama Canal cruise transits in January 2016. One goes from Los Angeles to Miami for 16 days and the other is Miami to Lima for 18 days. Both cruises have interesting stops. Just wondering about what others on to forum who may have taken these cruises think?

The Miami to Lima...its way more interesting to take that route....actualy the Lima to NY on the Marina is even better...

First it is a larger ship,with way more venues and way more options and second, You can start your cruise with a 3 day pre cruise at Machu-Picchu and you end your cruise in a US port and don't have to deal with foreign customs, language and dangers

The LA-MIAMI route is tired and the Mexican ports are either scary or devoid of interest.... unless you like to get ripped on cheap booze and have your heart set on a stuffed iguana. ( I am not a Mexican port fan to me there are 2 things to do in mexico and one is leave so the less mexico the better)

My TA years ago, told me to go from east to west through the Panama Canal. This way you got the best hours for taking photos and more often than not when you are going through the western locks, it is raining.

And by that did your TA mean that you should go from the Caribbean to the Pacific? The canal, I believe, actually is oriented the other way, so to go east to west, you start in the Pacific and go through to the Caribbean.

And by that did your TA mean that you should go from the Caribbean to the Pacific? The canal, I believe, actually is oriented the other way, so to go east to west, you start in the Pacific and go through to the Caribbean.

Or maybe Northwest to Southeast or Southeast to Northwest :confused::confused::confused:

We have gone from Miami to LA

LA to Miami

SFO to Miami

All good ..just depends on what ports you want to see ;)

Edited by LHT28

panama-canal-5a.gif

The Canal is a two way thoroughfare from the Caribbean to the Pacific and vice versa, but a westbound passage is usually preferred because the ship will typically enter the Canal at the crack of dawn, and with the majority of the locks nearest the western terminus, a transit in that direction will enable most Passengers to see a significant portion of the workings of the Canal.

00000908.jpg

Edited by StanandJim

I have done both. I saw no difference in rainfall, sun exposure and ability to take pictures. It's much more about the rest of the itinerary. Personally, I've appreciated all the ports.

Do you want to fly back from Lima or add an excursion to Cuzco and Machu Pichu? January and February are the rainy season up in the Andes, sometimes the railroad and even roads are blocked. Those months are better for Central American ports. An excursion to Antigua in Guatemala is really special, Huatulco in Mexico is a lovely port.

The Miami to Lima...its way more interesting to take that route....actualy the Lima to NY on the Marina is even better...

First it is a larger ship,with way more venues and way more options and second, You can start your cruise with a 3 day pre cruise at Machu-Picchu and you end your cruise in a US port and don't have to deal with foreign customs, language and dangers

The LA-MIAMI route is tired and the Mexican ports are either scary or devoid of interest.... unless you like to get ripped on cheap booze and have your heart set on a stuffed iguana. ( I am not a Mexican port fan to me there are 2 things to do in mexico and one is leave so the less mexico the better)

You frequently gift me with a hearty laugh ~ as you have done once again! Thanks.