prestige drink packages

Threechicks

I am taking my first Oceania cruise and would like some info about the prestige drinks package. Since i don't know the prices of drinks on board i don't know if $60 per person per day is reasonable or if i would be better buying as i go. There are two of us but it is my understanding that a package cannot be shared. I like a drink or two before dinner and wine with dinner. A glass of wine on the balcony during the afternoon is nice too. How does the package relate yo that?

Would someone who has purchased the package tell me what they bought each day. Don't worry, i don't intend to comment on your consumption.

Am i correct that you cannot use the pkg to purchase bottles of wine for your suite, only by the glass from room service.

Never did it ourselves but there have been a number of discussions and I am sure you will get responses here.

In the meantime, you might look over this recent thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2082672&highlight=prestige+drinks

You can also search on "Drinks package" by using the "search this forum" feature at the top right of this display grid.

Have a super time!

Donna

We purchased the prestige package on our first cruise and have done so again for our November cruise. It sounds as if we drink a similar amount to what you do. The cocktails are measured using a shot glass so they tend to be a little weaker than what we receive in our local restaurants and lounges. I like a martini and found the ones in most bars to be extremely small (Martini's lounge reportedly has larger ones -- not sure if they cost more $$). In any case, in order to have a typical size martini, I need to order a double. This would cost $20 plus 18% gratuity.

Also, at dinner, we enjoy wine and do not want to think about it if we would like another glass or half a glass. I really do not recall the wine price -- think it is around $8/glass plus 18% tip. I'm not sure if we save that much money by purchasing the prestige package but the convenience is worth every penny - at least for us.

Note: The prestige package includes tip and cannot be shared.

Edited by Travelcat2

We never get the alcohol packages. We do not care for their wine selections by the glass. Instead, we bring our own wine from shore and/or buy discounted bottles we like at the beginning of the cruise, or just order a favored bottle off of the wine list. We pay about the same or a bit less or more, but we get exactly what we want to drink.

For cocktails, we take advantage of the daily special martinis/cocktails and complimentary events, and in any case never have more than one or two each per day. You mileage may vary...

I am taking my first Oceania cruise and would like some info about the prestige drinks package. Since i don't know the prices of drinks on board i don't know if $60 per person per day is reasonable or if i would be better buying as i go. There are two of us but it is my understanding that a package cannot be shared. I like a drink or two before dinner and wine with dinner. A glass of wine on the balcony during the afternoon is nice too. How does the package relate yo that?

Would someone who has purchased the package tell me what they bought each day. Don't worry, i don't intend to comment on your consumption.

Am i correct that you cannot use the pkg to purchase bottles of wine for your suite, only by the glass from room service.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but does the $60/pp/day include gratuity?

We never get the alcohol packages. We do not care for their wine selections by the glass. Instead, we bring our own wine from shore and/or buy discounted bottles we like at the beginning of the cruise, or just order a favored bottle off of the wine list. We pay about the same or a bit less or more, but we get exactly what we want to drink.

For cocktails, we take advantage of the daily special martinis/cocktails and complimentary events, and in any case never have more than one or two each per day. Your mileage may vary...

Edited by JPR

For cocktails, we take advantage of the daily special martinis/cocktails and complimentary events, and in any case never have more than one or two each per day. Your mileage may vary...

I guess your opinion was worth repeating :cool:

We never drink in the suite. We do go to Martinis or to Horizons at Happy Hour time and that is a larger drink. If you don't go there then, it is TINY, believe me. But we buy the package and it doesn't matter. MAYBE we drink one glass of wine at dinner sometimes. We do not have to worry what we are drinking...just add it to the price of the cruise.

IMO, purchasing wine ashore means that you either will be drinking in your cabin or paying the corkage fee. Also, Happy Hour on the ships is so crowded that you are lucky to get one of their weak drinks for $5. Those of us that purchase the prestige package avoid Happy Hour - there are masses of people with slower service and few places to sit (at least in Martinis -- the place that has the best martinis). If you are paying to cruise on Oceania, add the cost of the prestige package to the fare -- it is far better than waiting for free drinks during the Captain's Reception or cheap, weak drinks during Happy Hour.

Admittedly, we are Regent cruisers that have only sailed on Oceania once (on the Riviera) and are used to included drinks. We thought that Oceania passengers were probably not into drinking. What a surprise to see hoards of people at Happy Hour, the Captain's Reception (free drinks) and the event for repeat cruisers (also free drinks). We do enjoy the Riviera (don't think we would want to sail on the smaller ships) but would not sail with them without purchasing the premium alcohol package.

Wow we do go to HH it may be a bit busier because some people just find it the time to socialize after a busy day

My drinks were never watered down but I suppose it could happen

Of course if you are use to drinking more at home then they may seem to be smaller

We rarely drink at home unless we have guests & do not drink much on the cruise so we do use the "pay as you go method"

The only time I have seen Horizons or the bars crowded have been on Captains night & the lounge for the reunion party but then again if you have 50% + of the guests that are repeat cruisers the lounge will be busy

YMMV

Reading some of these posts one wonders if all Regent passengers are big drinkers, do not socialize before dinner or just sit at the bar all day so no need to go to the lounge before dinner to share the events of the day with new /old friends

Edited by LHT28

Thanks Lyn. We are Happy hour fans and enjoy mingling with fellow cruisers, too. And we agree with you about drink quality.

Not long ago a poster referred to HH as "the pig trough". Apparently it looks different to different observers/participants!

Thanks Lyn. We are Happy hour fans and enjoy mingling with fellow cruisers, too. And we agree with you about drink quality.

Not long ago a poster referred to HH as "the pig trough". Apparently it looks different to different observers/participants!

I guess they do not like to share the trough with others that may be the problem :rolleyes:

IMO, purchasing wine ashore means that you either will be drinking in your cabin or paying the corkage fee. Also, Happy Hour on the ships is so crowded that you are lucky to get one of their weak drinks for $5. Those of us that purchase the prestige package avoid Happy Hour - there are masses of people with slower service and few places to sit (at least in Martinis -- the place that has the best martinis). If you are paying to cruise on Oceania, add the cost of the prestige package to the fare -- it is far better than waiting for free drinks during the Captain's Reception or cheap, weak drinks during Happy Hour.

Admittedly, we are Regent cruisers that have only sailed on Oceania once (on the Riviera) and are used to included drinks. We thought that Oceania passengers were probably not into drinking. What a surprise to see hoards of people at Happy Hour, the Captain's Reception (free drinks) and the event for repeat cruisers (also free drinks). We do enjoy the Riviera (don't think we would want to sail on the smaller ships) but would not sail with them without purchasing the premium alcohol package.

I have to say my Happy Hour experiences have certainly differed from yours. I've had no weak drinks, actually the opposite, and while at times it's been busy, on our last cruise on Riviera(full ship) the Happy Hour was hardly attended. Maybe a dozen people or so in there each night.