prestige drink packages

Threechicks

4 better wines or spirits per day (including gratuity) equals $60

Don't want to be a buzzkill, but that's twice the maximum recommended for a male, and four times the max for a woman. Not a problem on a short cruise I suspect, but for a long cruise, this consumption level might not be sustainable, let alone healthy.

Don't want to be a buzzkill, but that's twice the maximum recommended for a male, and four times the max for a woman. Not a problem on a short cruise I suspect, but for a long cruise, this consumption level might not be sustainable, let alone healthy.

I am surprised Hawaiidan has not yet chimed in but that is his complaint.

The requirement to purchases for the duration of the cruise on longer cruises is not just tough on one's wallet.

I believe he said he had to purchase for both legs of a B2B, though others have reported differently but it could have to do with how they bought (was it two bookings or priced as a package of two legs or ...).

A seven day cruise is one thing, and O is strongly marketing those now, but 2x10 or more is another a different kettle of fish, or is it a bathtub of gin?

We never get the alcohol packages. We do not care for their wine selections by the glass. Instead, we bring our own wine from shore and/or buy discounted bottles we like at the beginning of the cruise, <snip>

I have read here that O is no longer having the 'wine bazaar' nor the discounted packages so you might want to confirm that before making plans.

I'd be disappointed if that is true. We've enjoyed helping them empty out the cellar of a few bottles they were long on or removing from the wine list.

We always purchased new-to-us wines, much like we do in a port. I like to think that the change in the wine sales is not as a push to buy the drinks package (which I do think for shorter cruises is a good deal and a fun,relaxing, vacation-mode thing to do). If they also add restrictions to bringing ones favourite beverage on board or stop allowing wine to be carried on ports of call it would be <fill in superlative here>. Yes, a pre-emptive, outright, bold faced, wonder out loud, no basis in fact, but real concern.

I'm completely flummoxed by the general acceptance that one must drink enough to make the Beverage Package "worth it".

Do you walk into a Buffet Restaurant with a similar goal?

I haven't met anybody yet, on or off an Oceania Cruise, who is going to get out of here alive, so you might as well have a laugh and make the most of it

None of us is promised tomorrow...

I do agree with Jim/Stan that you don't have to get "your money's worth" to justify the package although basically that's one reason why we personally do NOT get it! Many people just prefer the convenience.

A second reason we don't get it is because we prefer wine by the bottle rather than by the glass, and a somewhat limited glass at that (if you are limited to the by the glass choices).

For us, since we don't drink all that much on a cruise (and are happy to have a glass or two in our room rather than in a bar), the package really doesn't make much sense.

But I wanted to comment about the "weak drinks" in the bars. We don't often go to the bars because DH rarely drinks at all, but we do occasionally go there for happy hour or to meet friends.

I haven't found the drinks in Horizon (which is pretty much where we have gone on all the ships although Riviera not yet) to be weak. And one might say that I prefer "ladies drinks" but I don't. (When Howard and I were first dating he would order an apricot sour and I'd order Tanqueray on the rocks, and guess which drink I was given.)

When I make a drink I put in a couple of ice cubes and add booze. I've been known to order gin or bourbon on the rocks and when it arrived with too many rocks I have left some ice in the ash tray. So I do think it is safe to say that if I haven't noticed weak drinks, they really haven't been ...

Now, if people are ordering mixed drinks ... that could well be another story!

I do sympathize with the people who complain about undersized drinks. When you're paying O's prices for a drink, you DO want a decent pour. Is that enough for US to get the package? No, not really, since we tend not to get enough cocktails to justify, don't do after dinner drinks (except rarely), and prefer to choose our own wine.

But as Lyn always says, to each his own. There is no right or wrong here.

Mura

You may want to steer clear of Northern California in general and wine country in particular.

On a somewhat related topic, one of the benefits of the prestige package is convenience, which needs no price computation. Nonetheless, anyone concerned about weak drinks or small pours should remember that you can always ask for a double. They'll just swipe your card twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 better wines or spirits a day costs $60. That is a fact. The statement that is twice the recommended for males. Where did that come from?

Guidelines for moderate alcohol use

From the Mayo Clinic (one of many sites with this information):

If you choose to drink alcohol, do so only in moderation. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger.

Examples of one drink include:

Beer: 12 fluid ounces (355 milliliters)

Wine: 5 fluid ounces (148 milliliters)

Distilled spirits (80 proof): 1.5 fluid ounces (44 milliliters)

Moderate alcohol use may be of most benefit if you're an older adult or if you have existing risk factors for heart disease. If you're a middle-aged or younger adult, some evidence shows that even moderate alcohol use may cause more harm than good. You can take other steps to benefit your cardiovascular health besides drinking — eating a healthy diet and exercising, for example.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/alcohol/art-20044551

I recognize that for some folks the liquor is art of their vacation pleasure and for others it is the entertainment! Just answering where the guidelines come from.

I am surprised Hawaiidan has not yet chimed in but that is his complaint.

The requirement to purchases for the duration of the cruise on longer cruises is not just tough on one's wallet.

I believe he said he had to purchase for both legs of a B2B, though others have reported differently but it could have to do with how they bought (was it two bookings or priced as a package of two legs or ...).

Let's not open that can again

I believe he booked a Grand Voyage which is 1 cruise in the eyes of Oceania

Obviously the double post was a glitch and not intentional.

1. Message to the alcohol police: Drinking (and eating!) on vacation is not the same as general consumption. That being said, the guidelines are an average recommended amount.

2. If you like Oceania's offered wines by the glass, by all means get the package. We do not care for them.

3. On another thread, a recent cruiser posted that the discounted bottles offer is back.

4 better wines or spirits a day costs $60. That is a fact. The statement that is twice the recommended for males. Where did that come from?

According to my doctor's health guidelines, that's the case. I don't want to bother all of you citing chapter and verse, since someone seems to have done that already. And it's worse than I thought, according to the Mayo Clinic--for men over 65, the recommendation is one drink a day!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

And it's worse than I thought, according to the Mayo Clinic--for men over 65, the recommendation is one drink a day!

My wife has an aunt who's now pushing 90 who still tells people who have the audacity to ask that she's 30 years old. I am legitimately 64, and I can see I'm going to be that age for a long time!:rolleyes:

For many of us, doctor guidelines go out the window on a cruise. Who really eats three meals a day -- multiple courses for dinner followed sometimes by either cheese or dessert (and some people indulge at tea time as well)? If we ate that way at home, we'd weight 500 pounds:)

Not sure where some people get the idea that Regent passengers drink a lot. The one area where Regent passengers may drink more than they realize is at dinner since wine is topped up all the time. Over the course of 2 1/2 hours, it is easy (too easy actually) to have 4 glasses of wine. One thing that Regent guests do appreciate is not signing for anything. It seems that Regent and Oceania passengers do enjoy socializing in lounges before dinner. On Oceania, it seems that the majority of passengers are having their before dinner drink during Happy Hour - even if they are not dining until 8:00 p.m. Lounges on Regent tend to be most crowded between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.

Agree that no one should feel compelled to drink $60 worth of alcohol a day. We are social drinkers - only drink at home if we have guests. That is why we purchased the prestige alcohol package on our upcoming cruise despite the fact that we get 6 bottles of wine/alcohol in our suite (we'll share the wine at dinner with friends). When I discuss the size of Oceania drinks I am comparing that to what we receive in restaurants and lounges in the U.S. It is very different in Canada and the U.K. I only drink one martini per day (on ships only - one per week is more than enough at home). In order to get the size martini that we are accustomed to, we have to order a double -- $21.00 plus 18% gratuity.

For whatever reason someone decides to purchase the prestige package or not, they are doing what works for them.

1. Message to the alcohol police: Drinking (and eating!) on vacation is not the same as general consumption. That being said, the guidelines are an average recommended amount.

No one is policing. Another poster (Oceanbill) asked where these guidelines came from, I cited a respected web site which echoed the same previously mentioned guidelines. No one is attacking people who want to drink a lot, a little, or none at all. Was just responding to a request.

For many of us, doctor guidelines go out the window on a cruise. Who really eats three meals a day -- multiple courses for dinner followed sometimes by either cheese or dessert (and some people indulge at tea time as well)? If we ate that way at home, we'd weight 500 pounds:)

Not sure where some people get the idea that Regent passengers drink a lot. The one area where Regent passengers may drink more than they realize is at dinner since wine is topped up all the time. Over the course of 2 1/2 hours, it is easy (too easy actually) to have 4 glasses of wine. One thing that Regent guests do appreciate is not signing for anything. It seems that Regent and Oceania passengers do enjoy socializing in lounges before dinner. On Oceania, it seems that the majority of passengers are having their before dinner drink during Happy Hour - even if they are not dining until 8:00 p.m. Lounges on Regent tend to be most crowded between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.

Agree that no one should feel compelled to drink $60 worth of alcohol a day. We are social drinkers - only drink at home if we have guests. That is why we purchased the prestige alcohol package on our upcoming cruise despite the fact that we get 6 bottles of wine/alcohol in our suite (we'll share the wine at dinner with friends). When I discuss the size of Oceania drinks I am comparing that to what we receive in restaurants and lounges in the U.S. It is very different in Canada and the U.K. I only drink one martini per day (on ships only - one per week is more than enough at home). In order to get the size martini that we are accustomed to, we have to order a double -- $21.00 plus 18% gratuity.

For whatever reason someone decides to purchase the prestige package or not, they are doing what works for them.

Really? Is someone obsessing about Regent passengers and their habits around here? (Outside of the "O vs. Regent" threads.)

Based on experiences at "all-inclusive" resorts, when unlimited booze is available, folks often seem to strive to "get their money's worth." For some that is overindulging. Not for all. I suspect your preferred Regent clientele has some of these same folks. Or I could be wrong. Don't much care.

Yeah, we all behave differently on vacation. And that is everyone's prerogative. But as several of us noted on the diet thread, watching consumption is not optional for many of us for health reasons. And that is where the horrid guidelines and restrictions have to be respected to some extent. Not by everyone else. Just by those of us with health issues.

God bless those who have no restrictions. I enjoy watching you all enjoy!

Really? Is someone obsessing about Regent passengers and their habits around here? (Outside of the "O vs. Regent" threads.)

Based on experiences at "all-inclusive" resorts, when unlimited booze is available, folks often seem to strive to "get their money's worth." For some that is overindulging. Not for all. I suspect your preferred Regent clientele has some of these same folks. Or I could be wrong. Don't much care.

Yeah, we all behave differently on vacation. And that is everyone's prerogative. But as several of us noted on the diet thread, watching consumption is not optional for many of us for health reasons. And that is where the horrid guidelines and restrictions have to be respected to some extent. Not by everyone else. Just by those of us with health issues.

God bless those who have no restrictions. I enjoy watching you all enjoy!

I was responding specifically to LHT28's post in which she suggested that Regent passengers drink more than Oceania passengers. IMO, people that want to or need to get drunk will do so, whatever the cost. I have not seen bad behavior on either Oceania or Regent (probably because we aren't up late in the lounges while people drink the night away).

I certainly respect people that have food or beverage restrictions based on health issues. It must be challenging when faced with as much food as there is available on a cruise ship. Again, I was responding to the posting of alcohol limits that most of us adhere to in our every day lives.

We are leaving for a cruise next week that I will be self-imposing diet restrictions so that I can have more leeway when we board the Riviera in November. It will be a challenge.

I hope Flatbush Flyer, Nc&Ky, and Chucktown Steve are on my next Oceania cruise.

WOOOOHOOOOOO. Oceanbill is buying.

Oh wait, I'll already have the prestige drink package. :p

I enjoy the flavor of top shelf so a double (regular elsewhere) will run $21+%. That's less than three. While slightly more than the average daily balance allowable by the drink police, that's why my designated driver is the Captain. ;)

Edited by ChucktownSteve

ChuckTown Steve. I get the package too. I am almost 77, in good health, and often exceed guidelines on just about everything. As to Barista, I go for the Aspen coffee.

Good for you!!!!! I just don't want to get to the pearly gates and say, gee I wish I had that extra drink or that lobster back.......

And if it's the other place, at least I'll be with the rest of my friends and have enjoyed myself along the way. rofl