St Martin

lance32

Hello,

Has anybody done the Americas cup excursion on St Martin and if so can you provide contact information or link. Must this be booked only through Celebrity?

Thanks Jon P

Like many shore excursions can be booked either way thru the Ship or DIY

Google - America's Cup St Martin - to find them.

I suggest that you check in with your Roll Call to see what others have planned as well (good way to save money on Shore Excursions / share expenses)

You can find your Roll Call by going to the top of this page and looking for the link NEW ! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Also check out the Ports of Call Board here on CC... Lots of great info when planning Shore Excursions

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Although we were on a cruise, we booked this separately. My husband and I are both sailors and never thought that we would be at the helm of an America's Cup yacht. But when the "races" were over, the captain asked me if I'd like to take the helm. He didn't have to ask twice. What an amazing experience.

We had a great time. People were able to do as much or as little as they wanted to. One person who was just along for the ride was given the job of looking out for icebergs. ;)

We did this in St. Thomas. I had a blast but my daughter was leaning over the side. I spoke with the crew. I can't believe how far they sail these things during the off season. They're not Sunfish but they are not that large to sail in the open seas. Maybe he was fibbing.

What if you're just the tiniest bit shaky and use a cane to stay steady? Is this doable?

Yes, it is doable. Will you enjoy it? Perhaps not.

This is a quote from their web site:

Guests with Special Needs:

Every effort is made to accommodate “Guests with special needs”. However the nature of the St. Maarten “America’s Cup” 12 Metre Regatta is very participatory and the motion of the boats may cause problems for some. We therefore request that a guest with special needs be accompanied by a companion who has the capability of assisting the guest onto and off the boats. If the companion feels at the point of departure that the experience will prove to be too much for the guest, we will be happy to refund both tickets.

It's an amazing excursion, one of our favorites. When we did it years ago I served as bar wench and then took the helm to sail around the Q E II! At the time we did it we could not book directly. The price differential for landlubbers was about the same price we paid. I don't have a clue what it costs now but it's a "working" excursion...and we still have the t-shirt.

I'm afraid I have to express a different viewpoint. I had heard such wonderful things about this excursion that when my husband wanted to book it for our family group, I thought it was a great idea. I had heard the stories about being assigned tasks like "beer babe" or iceberg watcher" and read that you could choose to be as active as you liked (or not at all). In our family group of six, three are very active 20-somethings. The rest of us are significantly older but all have regular workout schedules and are reasonably fit.

The best my sister and I could do for the entire trip (not just the race, although it was worse during the race), was hang on for dear life. A significantly older lady fell on the boat because she could not get a proper handhold. There was another woman with a walker and I really don't understand why she was allowed on the excursion. The problem is that they made it sound like you could just sit back and enjoy the race if that was what you wanted to do. There was no sitting anywhere. You could perch on the side of the boat but, as I said, you really needed to hang on.

We LOVED it last January. There were 3 yachts. We were on the Stars and Stripes. So cool to be on the actual America's Cup ships. We lined up and were asked if we wanted to be very active, moderately active, or not active. We said active - any active - as we didn't know. We were both put on as main grinders which was so much fun. We had no time to just gaze - we were working with out heads down in our work a lot (as we pulled up and adjusted the main sail). I'm not sure I agree with someone on a walker going along. It's pretty tight with about 18 on that ship! But I'd have no problem with anyone merely riding for the ride and holding on. After we were done the crew took photos with our cameras, and it was a lot of fun posing. We actually framed our photo.

There were 3 or 4 people who sat on the edge (not the very edge of the boat but on the side) with plenty of hang-on places. They went along for the ride and were supposed to dole out beverages but honestly there wasn't a spare hand to drink a beverage! It was a fun fun race and we were active the entire time. Afterwards we went to their little "shop". There was a rum punch to drink if we wanted it. We took one to go and then made the longish nice walk back to the ship, along the scenic sidewalk. I hate that water taxi! The walk does us all good.

Next time we're in St. Maarten we plan to sign up again. Wish we'd have bought the tee because there is a big discount if you wear it.

We did this several years ago and my husband loved it. For some reason I was sea sick the whole time and could not wait to get off the boat and get some Dramamine. I never or very seldom get sea sick. Love water activities and have been on many cruises without ever getting sick including the Twister boat in Cozumel. I don't know if I was having an unusually weak stomach day or if it was the excursion. Just be prepared in case this happens to you. Take sea sick medicine with you. I had to find the first place selling some as soon as we got off the boat. Have had it in the medicine cabinet several years ever since, never had to use it again and like most I buy will expire long before I ever need it.