The lawn grill...

curiouscat

The Porch was a $5 charge whenever it was open. I don't know if that followed the lead of Bistro on 5 and became $7. At any rate I think it would be worth it. I really liked The Porch, but then again I love sandwiches/paninis. When I was there, the Lawn Club didn't have any free lunch. There is still the grill w/ really excellent burgers etc that is no extra fee.

Is the lawn grill free for lunch? I know there is a charge for dinner... and the Porch is their an surcharge for that too?

TIA

Gracias

CC

Not free ever. Both the Lawn Grill or the Porch. The porch rate for lunch is $7. and well worth the charge. The lawn grill is a wonderful choice. IMO the best speciality restaurant on the Reflection or Silhouette. Typically once during a cruise they offer a lunch-by reservation. It is the exact same menu as dinner and well worth it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

Not free ever. Both the Lawn Grill or the Porch. The porch rate for lunch is $7. and well worth the charge. The lawn grill is a wonderful choice. IMO the best specialty restaurant on the Reflection or Silhouette. Typically once during a cruise they offer a lunch-by reservation. It is the exact same menu as dinner and well worth it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Agree - ate dinner at Lawn club Grill 3 x last April.

The lawn grill is a wonderful choice. IMO the best speciality restaurant on the Reflection or Silhouette. Typically once during a cruise they offer a lunch-by reservation. It is the exact same menu as dinner and well worth it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Agree - ate dinner at Lawn club Grill 3 x last April.

I'll be on the Silhouette TA in a month, first time on that ship. I know that food is subjective, but would certainly love to know what dishes you thought were particularly special.

Thanks!

If you like lots of bread with your sandwich, then the Porch is for you. I didn't care for it and liked it less than the Bistro, which I don't like either. You can get paninis in the buffet area, and if you like craps, just go to Paris. :rolleyes:

The Lawn Club Grill for dinner is nice, but not $40-45pp nice in my opinion. If they offer specials for 1/2 price, then I would go for it.

I'll be on the Silhouette TA in a month, first time on that ship. I know that food is subjective, but would certainly love to know what dishes you thought were particularly special.

Thanks!

First, At the lawn grill we love for an appetizer, a made to order flat pizza, you can also assist in preparing it yourself! We enjoy an assortment of veggies, cheese (on my side only) and sauce.

I enjoy the skewers of shrimp/beef/scallops. My DH enjoys a freshly barbecued Filet Mignon. The ribeye was also very good. Best sides, IMO include mac and cheese, spinach. You also can make your own salad from a nice salad bar- For dessert- nothing beats the hot chocolate chip cookie, served with vanilla ice cream. Yummy!

At the Porch, we enjoy a variety of Pannins and salad. Many choices. They also have salads and nice pastries.

Enjoy!!

Edited by Cruise a holic

Are children allowed at either?

Yes- at both. At the Lawn Grill, my nieces under 7, each helped make their pizza's (with great assistance) They were given nice cooks aprons as great souvenirs-no additional charge! Great pictures also! This restaurant and Qsine are the best speciality restaurants for children IMO.

The Porch, is a very information restaurant also on the Lawn deck- no problem with kids at all!

Edited by Cruise a holic

I guess I just don't get it. If I wanted to cook my own meal I'd stay home.

To cook or not to cook is a choice, it is an interactive experience, or sit back and enjoy. The appetizer, salad, fresh made to order pizza, salmon, scallops, shrimp, ribeye or filet were some of the best we have had in 20 years. Oh, and the hot chocolate chip cookie swimming in vanilla ice cream was outstanding.

All the while the sound of the waves splashing from the sides of the ship gliding thru the ocean is in the background, with the stars above twinkling ever so bright. A perfect evening at sea.

I guess I just don't get comments like that. :rolleyes:

You don't have to cook your own meal; you can remain seated the entire time and the staff will do everything. But some people actually enjoy the chance to cook part of their meal. Maybe they don't have a big professional grill at home, or maybe they like having full control of when their steak comes off the grill, or their steak never turns out that good at home and they want to pick up a few grilling tips, or maybe they don't have a pizza toppings bar with 15 different sliced and diced items at the ready, or.......

I guess I just don't get comments like that. :rolleyes:

You don't have to cook your own meal; you can remain seated the entire time and the staff will do everything. But some people actually enjoy the chance to cook part of their meal. Maybe they don't have a big professional grill at home, or maybe they like having full control of when their steak comes off the grill, or their steak never turns out that good at home and they want to pick up a few grilling tips, or maybe they don't have a pizza toppings bar with 15 different sliced and diced items at the ready, or.......

I just assume that if you haven't experienced the fun of dining at the lawn grill- you don't get it. As you said- cooking is optional- especially fun to do if you are with kids or watching those who enjoy it! For those who prefer the typical excellent service, it is also an option! The grill master does an excellent job.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Would you say that most people get involved in the cooking? I have stayed away because, although I love to cook at home, I personally have no desire to do it on a cruise ship. But if there really is no pressure to participate, like you sometimes see poolside from the activities staff ("Come on up! You'll love it!), then I might try the grill on my January Reflection cruise.

Would you say that most people get involved in the cooking? I have stayed away because, although I love to cook at home, I personally have no desire to do it on a cruise ship. But if there really is no pressure to participate, like you sometimes see poolside from the activities staff ("Come on up! You'll love it!), then I might try the grill on my January Reflection cruise.

The evening we went last Nov while on the Reflection, we were there for almost 2 hours, it was full. Only 1 person wanted to 'toss' their own pizza dough. Everyone went and selected their own toppings. I talked to the grill master while he grilled for tips, but did not don the apron. No one actually did their own cooking that service.

image.jpg.623fa688bd835b51a4e952f095aab4be.jpg

On our last March cruise on the Silhouette, if you didn't ask the waiter, he didn't suggest it . No pressure at all! Sometimes you have to ask if you are interested.

One night when we were at LCG, a group of 4 couples can in. The 'bosses' had their husbands cook for them, poking fun as their 4 hubbies struggled to master kneading, tossing flat-bread dough. They seemed to be having a good time ribbing their husbands efforts. Others had fun taking pics of their spouses in chef outfits at the food prep area.

We enjoyed selecting which, how much of each topping for our flat bread before handing it off to chef.

On our third visit to LCG, out of curiosity, wanting to experiment (if it didn't work out I could get a do-over steak) asked for a filet mignon Pittsburgh-style (aka black-n-blue?). The manager said the cooking flame wasn't too variable but the chef said he could manage it - worked out pretty well. Kabob skewers were great too, especially followed by f-mignon.:D Mix in open air, summery breeze, ocean backdrop, blue sky - a fine experience.

Don't overdo the flat bread appetizer or salad to limit dampening your appetite. ENJOY - you're on vacation.

Edited by greydog

I assume bad weather would be an issue - ? If you have reservations and it is stormy, are you stuck going to the buffet for dinner?

Thanks.

They have drop downs to keep the elements out, but if it is a nasty storm just the walk across the deck would soak you.

I assume bad weather would be an issue - ? If you have reservations and it is stormy, are you stuck going to the buffet for dinner?

Thanks.

Not a big deal as the restaurant does have sides that come down and it is has AC. Of course if you were in a hurricane that would be different and I "assume" you would be warned of pending bad weather and dine in the dining room or another venue.