M class new A1 balcony doors - bungee cord length?

ghstudio

I understand that the balcony doors on the new A1's on deck 11 of the M class ships slide a bit too easily and they can slam open or shut. The suggestion is to take a bungee cord to stop this....but I haven't been able to find anyone suggesting how long that bungee cord should be.....they come in all sizes.

Edited by ghstudio

Ours was so difficult to open we had to have maintenance come and loosen it up, but yes it did slam from side to side so we just kept it closed (we were on a colder itin anyway). We have had problems in the past with M-class balcony doors locking people out on their decks (happened to our neighbors and we rescued them), but the new ones did not seem to have that same problem.

Ours was so difficult to open we had to have maintenance come and loosen it up, but yes it did slam from side to side so we just kept it closed (we were on a colder itin anyway). We have had problems in the past with M-class balcony doors locking people out on their decks (happened to our neighbors and we rescued them), but the new ones did not seem to have that same problem.

i'm not so worried about getting locked out (we're in one of the aft cabins so we could just yell down to the bar :) I'm worried about my DW being hit by the door if it should close suddenly. The bungee cord solution sounds great...but I can't guess how long a cord to buy....thus this thread.

Edited by ghstudio

What do you attach the bungee cord to on the other end from the door handle?

courtesy of a previous post by MrJulius>>>>

bungee.jpg

Bring a bungee cord. There is a strange object on the sliding door. It's like a knob but doesn't do anything that I could find. A half turn will bring the end of the knob out and you can affix your bungee cord to it and wrap it around the outside handle and back.

Works great. No more sliding door and no more loud bang. I wish others could have figured something out

Edited by hasentreelake

courtesy of a previous post by MrJulius>>>>

bungee.jpg

Bring a bungee cord. There is a strange object on the sliding door. It's like a knob but doesn't do anything that I could find. A half turn will bring the end of the knob out and you can affix your bungee cord to it and wrap it around the outside handle and back.

Works great. No more sliding door and no more loud bang. I wish others could have figured something out

On the Infinity last month the knob is the lock for the door. It did work. Had no problem with the balcony door.

Our room steward fixed us one up from a robe tie. It worked perfectly by using the round knob shown in photo then the other end on the slider door handle! They must be used to these requests, as all I said was I had forgotten my bungee cord for the door. Magically appeared the makeshift one that worked beautifully.

Our room steward fixed us one up from a robe tie. It worked perfectly by using the round knob shown in photo then the other end on the slider door handle! They must be used to these requests, as all I said was I had forgotten my bungee cord for the door. Magically appeared the makeshift one that worked beautifully.

Must remember this!

It's interesting that these photos clearly show the sign asking people to keep the doors closed.

The problem with those particular cabins is that if you don't lock the door, they keep sliding back and forth. When you're out on the balcony, locking isn't a great idea. When you're trying to take a few things out to the balcony before you sit down, you run the risk of getting hit by a door. Thus, the bungee cords.

Hi Folks,

I am on the Millennium in an A-1, Aqua-class cabin on the 11th floor. I assume this thread applies to our cabin. Have all the Millennium-class 11th floor Aqua cabins gone through this retrofit?

While I have your attention, and if you please: How did you like these cabins compared to Solstice-class Aqua cabins.

Many thanks!

Hi Folks,

I am on the Millennium in an A-1, Aqua-class cabin on the 11th floor. I assume this thread applies to our cabin. Have all the Millennium-class 11th floor Aqua cabins gone through this retrofit?

While I have your attention, and if you please: How did you like these cabins compared to Solstice-class Aqua cabins.

Many thanks!

Not quite sure I understand your Question regarding the retrofit.

These are NEW cabins that were added to the 11th Deck on the M-Class Ships during Solsticization

Prior to this, there were NO Cabins whatsoever on Deck 11

Cheers!

It's interesting that these photos clearly show the sign asking people to keep the doors closed.

But there is no way to get back in if the door closes when you are on the balcony!!!:eek:

It happened to our next door neighbours. Fortunately, they had their room key with them, which they gave to me, to let them into their room.

and......the sign requesting that you completely extinguish all cigarettes and cigars:eek::eek:.

We will be in A1 deck 11 Constellation next week and I will report back - assuming I am not still stuck on the balcony:)

Not quite sure I understand your Question regarding the retrofit.

These are NEW cabins that were added to the 11th Deck on the M-Class Ships during Solsticization

Prior to this, there were NO Cabins whatsoever on Deck 11

Cheers!

Retrofit was probably a poor word choice on my part. Yes, I realize that these were newly-placed cabins on the Millennium. I was not aware all of the ships of this class were so configured on the 11th floor. Thanks.

Edited by notjaded

Retrofit was probably a poor word choice on my part. Yes, I realize that these were newly-placed cabins on the Millennium. I was not aware all of the ships of this class were so configured on the 11th floor. Thanks.

No problemo. Makes sense now.

Hopefully someone who has sailed Aqua Class on both M & S Class Ships can answer your remaining Question.

Know that the Cabins on the S-Class Ships are lovely. And regular cabins on the M-Class Ships are also nice. We were Concierge on both. Looking forward to seeing / being in these new Aquas on our upcoming December Cruise on the Constellation.

Cheers!

But there is no way to get back in if the door closes when you are on the balcony!!!:eek:

It happened to our next door neighbours. Fortunately, they had their room key with them, which they gave to me, to let them into their room.

I wonder if maybe they just don't know how the door works. These are new cabins and I've never heard of doors that you can't open from the outside if you have the handle in the open position.

Ok, here's my experience to some of these questions.

We've been in regular M-class afts, and when you were out on the balcony, sometimes the handle would slip down into the locked position, and yes you were then stuck out there. We used to stick a magazine in the door, and that worked both to keep it shut and prevent it from locking.

Recently on the new 11th floor AQ balconies, the door was newer and it did not slip down into this locked position. (since the doors did seem identical to the old CC doors, I would think over time they will loosen up and have this droopy handle problem). However, it would not stay shut and unlocked, when you were out on your balcony the door did slide and slam from side to side depending on the movement of the ship. Using a bungee cord or the magazine would stop this from happening.

Since I've been in both CC M-afts and now an M-AQ aft, I can say that the cabins we've had have been virtually identical in both layout and size. The difference has been in the size of the balconies. The AQ balconies, aft, on 11, are smaller than those in the M class afts on decks 7 and 8. Much has been written about which aft cabins are the "best", and we loved our choice of 1138. Even though it was smaller than our usual 7208, we realized that you really did not need the huge, deep 7208 balcony to be happy :). We realized that the 7208 balcony really gave a "tunnel-vision" view, and that you didn't need 4 loungers, 2 chairs and 2 tables for two people.

We also liked the overhang better in 1138 - it was solid, so you didn't have that "gap in the canvas" problem that caused much of 7208 to get wet from the rain.

This is ONLY in reference to the aft cabins, I have never been in one on the side either in CC or AQ.

Edited by warmwinds

Lay a towel along the threshold to help keep it open. We always get a few extra towels from the pool area to soak up the water from the leaky shower doors. Get a extra for the door.

Happy cruisng🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Lay a towel along the threshold to help keep it open. We always get a few extra towels from the pool area to soak up the water from the leaky shower doors. Get a extra for the door.

Happy cruisng🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thank you for this information. I am still a little confused. Can anyone clarify whether there are similar problems with the balcony doors sliding shut and locking you out on Deck 9 of Connie. A2 cabin not A1. 9054 to be exact. I will be sailing in three weeks.

I do not want to get stuck outside alone!!!:eek:

If you look at the posted pic...

The label on the door clearly states:

For Your Comfort

Please keep the veranda door closed.

This also conserves energy.

seems more a suggestion than a rule :rolleyes:

But what if MY comfort was increased whenever the door was open? Perhaps "for my comfort.." assumptions may not always be correct--especially when it saves the parent company money--

not that saving energy is bad or anything; just sayin