A Day In Cabo San Lucas

richwmn

As originally scheduled, Zuiderdam did stop in Cabo San Lucas today. We arrived on time and were cleared quickly. However, rough seas and wind slowed the tender process. Open tendering started about 1:30 and I headed in.

The tender ride in was a little bumpy, but we got there in short order. The pier had the typical setup of people dressed in traditional garb for pictures. Music was playing and some vendors had tables set up.

Once off the pier, you could start to see damage but several businesses were open. As usual, there were several people selling tours of the area. I picked one and settled on a price. A couple of minutes later we were in his van and headed away from the dock.

As we got away from the dock the damage was more apparent. Many buildings had windows and awnings missing. Several buildings had major damage to the outside and major work is needed. Cabo is trying to return to normal, but it will take some time.

Aside from the damage, the area is beautiful. I had a very nice tour and saw a great deal of the area. Many areas are ready, or nearly ready, to greet tourists again. Work will continue, and the return of the ships will help.

The tender ride back to the ship was very bumpy.

All in all, a very nice day, and I hope to see Cabo San Lucas again after they have a chance to recover some more.

Edited by richwmn

richwmn-

Saw what I think was a H.A. ship on a webcam in Cabo area today.(10/3) I think your ship was the first to call on Cabo since Hurricane O?

Tomorrow is suppose to be Star Princess(10/4) and next Monday & Tuesday is Carnival Miracle.

Good to know that Cabo marina is accepting cruise passengers.

Edited by arizonaperson

richwmn-

Saw what I think was a H.A. ship on a webcam in Cabo area today.(10/3) I think your ship was the first to call on Cabo since Hurricane O?

Tomorrow is suppose to be Star Princess(10/4) and next Monday & Tuesday is Carnival Miracle.

Good to know that Cabo marina is accepting cruise passengers.

Yes, we are in Cabo today. Getting ready to leave in a few minutes. My driver confirmed that we were the first ship to return.

Thanks for sharing. We will be in Cabo for two weeks the first of Nov. I am monitoring the situation and earlier today one of our resorts posted a video of your ship arriving in Cabo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for sharing. We will be in Cabo for two weeks the first of Nov. I am monitoring the situation and earlier today one of our resorts posted a video of your ship arriving in Cabo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If possible, could you post a link to the video? I would love to see it. If you can't post email would work.

Rich

Thanks for the report. The tendering is almost always rough. The last time I was there it was frightening to get off the tender and back on the ship.

Tell me about it. The sea got rough for my return to the ship. The crew member on the tender made me get off before I was ready and the dork on the ship docking platform did not catch me. :( Subsequently I fell. :mad: I was embarrassed but didn't hurt myself or wreck my slacks. Next time I will wait until there is a nice big passenger on the ship platform that I will ask to catch me.

As originally scheduled, Zuiderdam did stop in Cabo San Lucas today. We arrived on time and were cleared quickly. However, rough seas and wind slowed the tender process. Open tendering started about 1:30 and I headed in.

The tender ride in was a little bumpy, but we got there in short order. The pier had the typical setup of people dressed in traditional garb for pictures. Music was playing and some vendors had tables set up.

Once off the pier, you could start to see damage but several businesses were open. As usual, there were several people selling tours of the area. I picked one and settled on a price. A couple of minutes later we were in his van and headed away from the dock.

As we got away from the dock the damage was more apparent. Many buildings had windows and awnings missing. Several buildings had major damage to the outside and major work is needed. Cabo is trying to return to normal, but it will take some time.

Aside from the damage, the area is beautiful. I had a very nice tour and saw a great deal of the area. Many areas are ready, or nearly ready, to greet tourists again. Work will continue, and the return of the ships will help.

The tender ride back to the ship was very bumpy.

All in all, a very nice day, and I hope to see Cabo San Lucas again after they have a chance to recover some more.

This is great news!! Thanks for the update.

I was looking forward to Cabo on my upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

I haven't been there in 30 years!! :)

If anyone knows about Medano Beach and specifically Tobasco's, there, please let me know. That's where I am heading when I get there! :D

Thanks.

Don

I'm glad cruises didn't cancel. Cabo needs our tourist dollars more than ever now.

Thanks nana51 - the port stop was great, we had so much fun and yes they need more tourist dollars.

As an aside, when I suggested this a couple of weeks ago I was hammered and heavily accused of being a 'gawker' by some well known members of this forum - the 'in' crowd pulled phrases out of context , edited and then happily agreed with each other! Kind of makes me not want to bother posting, but I know that some forum members have open minds and want information.:rolleyes:

Edited by Lotsasmiles

@Lotsasmiles.

I have experienced the same thing on these forums, both TA and CC. If you don't have 10000 posts and a billion sailed flags, your posts go, at best, ignored, or more often, flamed. It is curious to me as you would expect more from people that obviously have a shared interest. Somewhat perplexing.

@Lotsasmiles,

I found that thread you referenced. Absolutely amazing. Even after you clarified your initial post, which was very clear and didn't need clarifying, the flame throwers were unchastened and still very self righteous. Unbelievable. The first flame thrower, Don, ought to be taken to the "less cranky institute" for a refresher course. Dan

Thanks nana51 - the port stop was great, we had so much fun and yes they need more tourist dollars.

As an aside, when I suggested this a couple of weeks ago I was hammered and heavily accused of being a 'gawker' by some well known members of this forum - the 'in' crowd pulled phrases out of context , edited and then happily agreed with each other! Kind of makes me not want to bother posting, but I know that some forum members have open minds and want information.:rolleyes:

Lotsasmiles - I was one of those rather critical - but I hope not rude - about the suggestion of going to Cabo so soon. We had thought it would take much longer for them to recover - a friend of mine was there at the time, and he is astounded at how they have bounced back. Anyway, my apologies for criticising you back then.

This is great news!! Thanks for the update.

I was looking forward to Cabo on my upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

I haven't been there in 30 years!! :)

If anyone knows about Medano Beach and specifically Tobasco's, there, please let me know. That's where I am heading when I get there! :D

Thanks.

Don

This link provides a current status of many businesses in Cabo. It is updated pretty regularly. Tobasco's is not currently listed but that does not necessarily mean that it's not in business (just not listed). Hardest hit areas were up on the tourist corridor between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. That area took the heaviest hit as the eye swept up into the Sea of Cortez. Some of the Medano Beach bars/restaurants are open and back in business as are some of the marina restaurants.

We've been going to Cabo every year for the last 12 years (to visit our timeshare).

http://www.loscabosguide.com/blog/2014/09/updates-on-los-cabos-businesses/