Fun Ways to Surpise Hubbie

capecruzer

Hello Fellow Cruisers:)

I'm surprising my husband with a cruise in January...its a long story but he didn't enjoy the one and only cruise he did about ten years ago and I love to cruise so it's time to get him back on that horse!

I did tell him I've booked a vacation for us and he's on board, no pun intended :D The deal was that I'd tell him where on Christmas Day, as its our present to each other. The other part of the deal was that we'd only spend $100 on each other and try to get three gifts.

So, any ideas for cruise-related inexpensive items he will need? He already found the bag of tanning gel spray and after-sun lotion I bought so I'm back to square one lol.

I was thinking wrinkle-release spray? He's a fanatic about ironing and yea, I know the rules.

Anyone?

I think it's important to know WHY he didn't like his first cruise.

Did he get seasick? Some medication, ginger, or my old-fashioned go-to, the wristbands.

Did he not like sitting with other people? Request a table for two.

Was he claustrophobic in his cabin? Get a balcony.

Did he not like the cattle-herding of the shore excursions? Book independent ones.

It would help to know where you're going and for how long. I agree with the previous poster that we can be more helpful if you share some info as to why the 1st cruise didn't work for him. Was it the type of cabin, destinations, crowds, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe load a new ringtone or alert to his phone? The bing when you get on and off the ship, and a ship horn?

Or give him a playlist with cruise music, (like that old one 'won't you let me take you on a sea cruise). Or a dvd of The Love Boat?

Edit to add: my DH hated his first cruise, but it was because of the company ;)

Edited by JanineM

How about a white robe with a tray (even though trays are no longer available on most cruise ships)? And add a note that might say something like, "where is the one place these items are frowned on"?

Edited by lady_cruiser

Reading this topic with interest... Think you have some great suggestions so far

I would add that I too have "this Hubbie"

Mine had a horrible experience on his first cruise with Vertigo / Motion Sickness

But it was determined that it was a freak occurance as we ran into gale force winds (100 kph) off of Florida

Even tho he was not feeling well for 2 Days straight he was a zillion times better once we got to the Caribbean Sea

And he surprised me by saying he would book again, because despite of it all he had a really good time

After Cruise # 2 sailing the Southern Caribbean he was hooked...

So it can turn around on the right Itinerary, Ship... And with great company :D

Cheers!

Ps... For our first cruise I bought Mr Sloop a new pro model mask & snorkel. We don't mind renting flippers, but prefer having our own mask & snorkel... Especially snorkel... It really grosses me out when I think about reusing a mouthpiece :eek: ick !! We now make a point of Snorkelling at least once on every Caribbean Cruise we take. Nice memories.