Reminiscing About The Mercury

curtdesilets

We travelled on the Mercury on two Alaska Inside Passage Cruises back in 2006 and 2007. We booked the exact same 2007 cruise because 2006 was so good.

What I liked about the Mercury was the smaller size, dedication to service and THE FOOD!

I recall that Mercury beat out all ships (even the luxury lines) for the Food Category on Conde Naste's annual survey back then. In particular, their desserts were out of this world. The food quality was superior to Crystal in the early to mid 2000's, not just for Mercury, but for all Celebrity ships. I would rank it similar to what you would get at a 5 star hotel like the Ritz Carlton. It was that good! :)

I also remember their Thalassotherapy Pool was the best on any ship ever. Century later made the mistake, IMO, of ripping that thing out.

Anyone here have any thoughts about their Mercury experiences that you would like to share? :confused:

We had great trips on all the C class ships. Galaxy, unfortunately, got a little long of tooth at the end, and Century's updates were kind of hit and miss, but Mercury never disappointed in food, service and accommodation.

Time does march on, though, and although we were impressed with both M class and S class on introduction, IMHO they simply cannot come close to the experience on Mercury. But then, we even were very happy on Horizon and Zenith, which I am afraid 90% of new cruisers would never even consider :)

But, as Churchill said, "to improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often."

We had great trips on all the C class ships. Galaxy, unfortunately, got a little long of tooth at the end, and Century's updates were kind of hit and miss, but Mercury never disappointed in food, service and accommodation.

Time does march on, though, and although we were impressed with both M class and S class on introduction, IMHO they simply cannot come close to the experience on Mercury. But then, we even were very happy on Horizon and Zenith, which I am afraid 90% of new cruisers would never even consider :)

But, as Churchill said, "to improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often."

We recently sailed the Century (twice), and it is Celebrity's closest rendition to what they used to provide. Century is leaving the fleet next year however. Change is inevitable, but we sort of like tradition more.

I sailed Mercury 7 times:)........the last time was also to Alaska in Sept 2009. She was terrific and so was her staff/crew.:)

Here she is.......

3934355299_3efc5ca043_b.jpg

We were fortunate to sail Mercury in her final season on a terrific 11 night cruise out of Charleston. Met our cruising buddies we have been on several trips with since. She will always hold a special place in our hearts. We thought the size was wonderful: intimate and easy to navigate. We were lucky to get one of the huge, forward-facing ocean view rooms. Man, that was a great stateroom! We were sure sorry to see Mercury leave.

Our very first cruise ever was on Mercury in 1999. We were upgraded at check in from an oceanview porthole to an oceanview panoramic...we were thrilled!

The t pool was outstanding and one of the highlights for us. We also spent a lot of time on the wooden chaise lounges on the promenade deck, where they had shuffleboard.

The MDR food and service was phenomenal...everything was delicious, service was impeccable, and I would compare it to a 4 or 5 star restaurant on land.

Two of our very favorite cruises were onboard Mercury - one to Alaska and one Pacific coastal from Vancouver southbound. We loved the size of that ship, her wonderful food and caring staff. Last year my daughter and I viewed her in Norway with her new re-branding as Mein Schiff 2. Just as lovely.... would sail her again in a heartbeat.

Yes those class of ship were great along with the food and service. There was just first and second sitting. I remember the waiter would bring over the covered try of display deserts and Make a show uncovering it so you could pick. Than as we had coffee he would ask how the day was and talk about the next days port or sea day things. Plenty of staff then, now they hardly have time to talk. Then one night they would redo the dinning room after dinner for the galy midnight grand buffet.

Mercury was our first Celeb ship and still our favorite....perfect size, great layout and looked like a ship. Perfect decor. Loved all the spaces.. Great crew and mix of passengers.

We liked the cabins one deck down from the pool...so convenient.

The T pool was a real T pool with therapeutic minerals and salts and great hydrotherapy.

Cruised on her to the Carib but fav was inside passage out of Seattle.

So sad when they sold Mercury but kept Century!

Galaxy,Horizon, Century, Mercury,Summit, Millenium, Constellation and now EqIinox and Eclipse. Celebrity ships are the mass market upscale ships. i wish they would send one of the smaller ships back to Tampa. I have not been on Solstice or Silhouette yet. Loved them all.

Used to solely do Regent.

I remember we did Mercury "just because" it was convenient to our location and after our 1st 2 days we were like WOW! We wasted time and money on Regent because Mercury - staff, food, whatever - was awesome. Did "2" 12 nighters and then Mercury was gone.

Have stuck with X - but the rest of X feels like NCL compared to what those 2 Mercury cruises were like.