Port maps and local information

Mrs Miggins

Just been browsing the member review section as a little light reading before our upcoming cruise. One very cross reviewer, new to Oceania, said that unlike his previous Princess cruises, no port information was given whilst on the ship. Can this be true? Surely not. We have always had a port information sheet (granted sometimes the info is very basic although a local map always provided) on our previous cruises. On Azamara there is often a local tourist information person who comes on board in the morning. Have also been to some destination lectures which again have varied in quality. They have varied from informative to "which are the best shops". One RCCL to the Canary Islands had a rather strange gentleman whose slide show concentrated on the smiling faces of young girls in various locations with only a few of the actual religious sites of Santiago. Anyway, what information can we expect on our Istanbul to Athens. I will of course do my own research as well.

We did a Med cruise on Oceania last year and at most, if not all, ports a local person came aboard in the morning. Of course, each one differed on their knowledge and communication skills, and the quality of their printed material.

In addition, the "daily" delivered the night before also had information about the port.

I think you should expect the same with your cruise.

We have always gotten the one sheet from O the night before every port. A port representative also boarded when the ship was cleared.

Don't count on any of this information alone if you want to do a port on your own. Do your homework and bring your own maps printed or digital.

I had one Princess cruise (Circumnavigation of Australia) where a woman did port talks the day before. Her talks went way beyond the usual ship's excursions, very useful. But I do not think we had such talks on our Caribbean cruise on the Grand Princess. Those talks were on the history, geography etc. of the area.

Edited by Floridiana

We have just returned from a back to back with Oceania -24 days, and for each port we received a full information sheet the day before and some more info in the Daily Currents sheet. Also every day a representative from the local tourist board was on hand in the reception area to offer advice and maps. Obviously it is good to do research before the cruise and arrange your own excursions (Oceania are extremely expensive). The information provided was every bit as good as that provided by Azamara!

The line up in the morning to see the local rep is long but yes they were there & yes there were maps

The night before the port stop Oceania also provided information sheets

My advice is to do your research BEFORE you leave home even if you just plan to wander about

Be prepared before you travel then no surprises or at least only good ones ;)

JMO

Lyn

The line up in the morning to see the local rep is long but yes they were there & yes there were maps

Always... and also wild-eyed crazies asking the most insane questions. :p

Do your own planning ahead of the cruise. Stop by the table just for any literature they may have.

Always... and also wild-eyed crazies asking the most insane questions. :p

Then complain about how long the line was & it too much time away from their day there :eek:

I download or order tourist info well ahead of time

I already have lots of paper for our May cruise :D

Toss as I go

Edited by LHT28

Yes there is a local destination desk at each port but it only gives you an overview of the local sites and maps...

PLAN & RESEARCH YOUR PORTS!! Print out the details, put them in a folder in a day to day order. Throw away as you go. Include what you need for the day ex: cash, return times, contact numbers etc..How anyone can travel without a plan is beyond me:confused:

We take a tiny laptop loaded with port information and review the night before we disembark. If there are any pertinent details that we need for the day, we write them down on the Oceania port information and away we go the next day. For most ports I have private tour lined up for us, but for some ports, we have done enough research that we just wander around on our own and concentrate on what we want to see and do. Part of the fun of traveling is to do your research prior to leaving, so that you know what you want to do when you get there.:D

Thanks for all your input. As I said in my post I do research before leaving home and have been to all but two of the ports previously. My surprise was that a reviewer said that Oceania provided no information and as there appear to be some first timers on our October cruise. I am glad that there will be some info for them, especially since there seems little information available on one of our ports Kavalla. I have read all the tourist info I can, but it is fairly sparse.

I do my research in advance (half the fun of the vacation I believe) but always stop by the local rep's desk to pick up the newest local map. (You can just grab one without waiting in the Q&A line.) Those maps really are helpful IMO.

Edited by CintiPam

Thanks for all your input. As I said in my post I do research before leaving home and have been to all but two of the ports previously. My surprise was that a reviewer said that Oceania provided no information and as there appear to be some first timers on our October cruise.

Hopefully even 1st timers will do some research before they go

Sometimes people look but just do not see ;)

We met a lady the last day on one cruise ..she somehow found afternoon tea that day

mentioned that it was such a shame to only have it on the last day as it was so nice

we told her it was everyday same time same place always noted in the CURRENTS ;)

Check out the APP: Citymaps2go.

You can download the map for virtually any port. Put it on your Iphone before you depart; and have the staff note your docking location when you hit a port. Put a star on your map( APP function that is very handy) and you will never get lost! A big benefit is that it does not eat any data roaming as the maps are on your phone before you leave; and it will tell you exactly your location as you wonder around a port- again you will not get lost!

The APP also shows many tourist sites, restaurants, attractions, the local; tourist office, etc.

Have used it for 2 years and will not travel without a map(s) on my phone.

Check out the APP: Citymaps2go.

You can download the map for virtually any port. Put it on your Iphone before you depart; and have the staff note your docking location when you hit a port. Put a star on your map( APP function that is very handy) and you will never get lost! A big benefit is that it does not eat any data roaming as the maps are on your phone before you leave; and it will tell you exactly your location as you wonder around a port- again you will not get lost!

The APP also shows many tourist sites, restaurants, attractions, the local; tourist office, etc.

Have used it for 2 years and will not travel without a map(s) on my phone.

That is what my spouse brings his GPS for. He also then knows exactly where he took each picture while we are on the trip as well. We no longer have to keep a book stating where we took each picture. Lucky me.:)

Hey Canuck,

>PLAN & RESEARCH YOUR PORTS!! Print out the details, put them in a folder in a day to day order. Throw away as you go. Include what you need for the day ex: cash, return times, contact numbers etc..How anyone can travel without a plan is beyond me

Absolutely. Now that we have small computers and tablets they can back up the paper.

Ira

Hey Canuck,

>PLAN & RESEARCH YOUR PORTS!! Print out the details, put them in a folder in a day to day order. Throw away as you go. Include what you need for the day ex: cash, return times, contact numbers etc..How anyone can travel without a plan is beyond me

Absolutely. Now that we have small computers and tablets they can back up the paper.

Ira

+1

Altho I have to add- one thing that really bothers me is the tendency for many to use a great tool such as an IPad to take travel photos...people walking around holding up the device, obscuring the real view:confused:

Since retirement, I have been leaving most devices behind to really disconnect from home while on vacation.