Singapore to Toronto - flights with O

Tansy Mews

We are flying next year from Toronto (YYZ) to Barcelona and from Singapore to Toronto, Canada.

We are interested in hearing from anyone on this forum who has taken Oceania's flights (without deviation) from Singapore to Toronto. If you did, what route did you take? Which airline did you fly? Was your flight out early in the day?

Any info most welcome. The deviation window opens soonish and we are trying to decide whether we take O's flights or a deviation.

Thanks!

I do not have an answer

but are you flying in the same day as the cruise???

If we take O's flights, we would fly into Barcelona, arriving on the cruise departure date. And of course, we would take whatever flight out from Singapore they book us on.

All that being said, there are problems! We could book their pre- and post- hotels and that would automatically get us in a day early and out a day later without a deviation fee. But those hotels are pricey - much pricier and fancier than our usual hotels.

Several options for us, but first we need data!

Frances

Edited by Tansy Mews

Last time we did a Capetown to Singapore cruise we heard that that without a deviation -- it would be via London SIN-LHR-YYZ, as flights are cheaper and more convenient for a later departure. I think those leaving were on BA. But it is always pot lot as "O" books in advance via various carriers and not everyone will be on same routing - as these super discount seats are limited.

Edited by PaulMCO

If we take O's flights, we would fly into Barcelona, arriving on the cruise departure date. And of course, we would take whatever flight out from Singapore they book us on.

All that being said, there are problems! We could book their pre- and post- hotels and that would automatically get us in a day early and out a day later without a deviation fee. But those hotels are pricey - much pricier and fancier than our usual hotels.

Several options for us, but first we need data!

Frances

That is why I asked if you were going early

I would not take the hotel package YMMV

We usually take the air deviation fly in at least 1 day prior book our own hotel ...that way we can choose the flight routing we want

It costs nothing but time to submit flights you prefer to Oceania & see if they can get them without further upcharges or an upcharge you can live with

Then you know for sure what your flights are

It is just me but I would never fly overseas on the day of departure too many things can go wrong ...plus the jet lag problem

JMO

Lyn

We have done a deviation on most of our cruises. We have never paid extra. Just keep requesting flights. 3 times is most we have done to get something we were happy with. Once we got a flight for no charge that was previously quoted as $300 pp extra.

On our first cruise we didn't know about deviations and our next one in Nov is a short Caribbean and we are taking our chances with O Air.

I live in Ontario and I would never fly that far without a deviation. The one time we did it, not knowing any other options, we basically missed the first day of the cruise.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

IMO, you should take the deviation and pay to control your own destiny, unless you truly don't care how you get there as long as you get there.

On our last cruise, we sailed from Istanbul on an O ship. The flights O assigned were connections through LHR even though both Air Canada and Turkish Airlines had non-stop flights from YYZ, which is our gateway airport. Some cruisers were assigned these flights, but it seemed that no one with YYZ as their gateway got assigned one of these non-stops. It seems that these flights were allocated to those flying from non-gateway airports so that their connection was YYZ instead of somewhere in Europe, so I guess they treat YYZ like JFK, and reason that those from YYZ can handle connections as well even though it is avoidable.

My suggested factors to consider:

1. Is the destination airport a popular arrival destination for that day? This includes what is the size of ship (R or O class) and if there are other ships sailing that day as well from that port and if there is a special event in that city (this brings into account the supply of favourable seats that are able to be assigned)
  2. Is where you are flying to serviced by a non-stop flight from your gateway airport? If it is, based on my experience above I would strongly consider a deviation to lock in the non-stop flight if that's what you desire.

For your cruise, it does not appear that there are any non-stop flights to BCN or from SIN, so Factor #2 isn't really a factor at all.

Just a guess, but I think the assigned seats would be OK for what is available for your flight itinerary, so the deviation is more to lock in an itinerary you are comfortable with and also to build in insurance in case of flight delay/interruption to BCN by arriving a day or two early.

Singapore Air DOES have non-stops between Singapore and Barcelona. They are not daily flights.

If this is directed at me, what I intended to convey was that are no non-stops for the OP's desired flight segments, being YYZ-BCN ("to BCN") and SIN-YYZ ("from SIN").

Air Canada or maybe Air Transat might have seasonal non-stop service from YYZ to BCN so Factor #2 might come into play.

Singapore Air DOES have non-stops between Singapore and Barcelona. They are not daily flights.

It doesn't sound like this itinerary is in play here.

BTW, I find it hilarious (in a bad way), that Oceania would use Toronto as a hub for folks from the States and fly them direct from YYZ to, say, BCN, but then fly Toronto folks through Heathrow or Frankfurt. And to avoid this you need a deviation! Give me a break!

Surely there's got to be *some* advantage to living in an air hub?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

BTW, I find it hilarious (in a bad way), that Oceania would use Toronto as a hub for folks from the States and fly them direct from YYZ to, say, BCN, but then fly Toronto folks through Heathrow or Frankfurt. And to avoid this you need a deviation! Give me a break!

Surely there's got to be *some* advantage to living in an air hub?

+1

(although it isn't just the States; it's other Canadian airports as well)

I don't know much about air routines but I do know this:

Direct nonstop flights cost more. If I book a flight from Toronto to Paris it usually costs more than the same flight booked Detroit-Toronto-Paris. Cause it's no longer nonstop. At least that's the explanation I was given and it seems to hold true a lot of the time.

Mo

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't know much about air routines but I do know this:

Direct nonstop flights cost more. If I book a flight from Toronto to Paris it usually costs more than the same flight booked Detroit-Toronto-Paris. Cause it's no longer nonstop. At least that's the explanation I was given and it seems to hold true a lot of the time.

Mo

I can see this at the individual consumer level, but would this be the case at the consolidator level as well?:confused:

I thought O just buys a set of seats at a price it contracts for, and given the seats that the airlines allocate under the contract, O assigns them as it wishes.

I can see this at the individual consumer level, but would this be the case at the consolidator level as well?

Consolidators know that the direct flights are more desirable, just as the Airlines do.

When they make a volume sale, the number of direct flights which will be included is one of the chief bargaining points, right up there with price and schedule.