Hotels in Rome

johncandt

We go to Rome fairly often and always stay with a small group of B&B's owned by Cristiano De Benedetti. He has three, all in the Prati neighborhood just North of the Vatican. Prices are reasonable and he is a very gracious host. The neighborhood, which is upper middle class, is great with fine shopping, reasonably priced local restaurants and a true Roman atmosphere. You can look up his website at info@domushotel.it. I know you will enjoy Rome wherever you stay. It is a wonderful city.

We go to Rome fairly often and always stay with a small group of B&B's owned by Cristiano De Benedetti. He has three, all in the Prati neighborhood just North of the Vatican. Prices are reasonable and he is a very gracious host. The neighborhood, which is upper middle class, is great with fine shopping, reasonably priced local restaurants and a true Roman atmosphere. You can look up his website at info@domushotel.it. I know you will enjoy Rome wherever you stay. It is a wonderful city.
Thank you very much had a quick look on Trip Advisor and that was good enough for me roomed booked job done !!!! thanks again..... John/Trish

we chose Domus Cavour B/B near the Vatican very central and wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and cheap for a city centre

It may be cheap for a city center because it really isn't in the city center.

While the location isn't terrible, it's not one I generally recommend to someone looking to stay in the center of Rome. It's fine if the Vatican is your primary destination, and some people like the area. But it is a distance to the other Rome sights such as the Colosseum/Forum, Pantheon, Trevi, etc.

It may be cheap for a city center because it really isn't in the city center.

While the location isn't terrible, it's not one I generally recommend to someone looking to stay in the center of Rome. It's fine if the Vatican is your primary destination, and some people like the area. But it is a distance to the other Rome sights such as the Colosseum/Forum, Pantheon, Trevi, etc.

I agree on that its way to far from the central part of the city for my liking. I booked the Albergo Cesari for my stay next September as this is the area i prefer to stay.

The Vatican area really is not convenient IMO. We always stay at the Hotel Smeraldo near Campo di'Fiori. Very convenient to the Largo Argentina transportation hub and about 10 minutes lovely walk in Old Rome to the Pantheon and many excellent restaurants.

It also is very reasonably priced with a small elevator, great a/c and a nice breakfast.

Yep, the Vatican is really off to the side of the center….. Piazza Navonna/Pantheon area is the center. Trevi and Campo di Fiori are close to those. Spanish steps are are the very edge of the center (we stayed there our first trip)

Since then we stay as near to the Pantheon as we can get. Awesome location.

Agree - research is the key and don't jump on the first suggestion you get.

You really need to do more research.

When you start a thread let it go a few days before you jump on the first recommendation.

Just my 2 cents.

Keith

I totally agree with this. Homework and some reading can go a long way. Terse are far better hotels that are more central.

I know nothing about Rome and am looking for recommendations close to the terminus? (train station) as I'd like something handy for both coming from the port and then getting to the airport. I'm only doing one night as I can't get a flight on the day of debarkation. I would really appreciate suggestions. I've tried Trip Advisor but can't get a sense of where the hotels are in relation to the station and I don't want to have to drag luggage too far. I'm hoping to just drop off the luggage and head off on the Metro to explore Rome.

We used the IQ Hotel in Rome last year, for one night pre cruise. We flew in when arriving and caught the train into the city. Also used the train to get to the port for our cruise. It is handy to the Roma Termini rail station - we walked to/from the hotel, with luggage, in about 10 minutes, in very hot temperatures. The hotel was very clean, rooms spacious, staff helpful, vending machines in the hotel with drinks and snacks. We didn't have the breakfast. Free wifi in the room worked well. Not too expensive. We were extremely happy with the IQ Hotel and would use it again. There are plenty of reviews on Trip Advisor - check it out.

Thank you so much for your response.

I'm not very adventurous when it comes to travel and would rarely use public transport when abroad so am apprehensive about this trip. Usually I embark at ports which are closer to airports where I can get taxis at reasonable rates.

It's very reassuring to hear others' positive experiences. I'll certainly check out your recommendation now that I know what to look at on Trip Advisor. I'll be able to get a sense of the area from maps relating to the hotel address which I can now work from.

John/Trish

Just a suggestion of what we did. We are two older ladies with mobility issues, so we also booked a smaller hotel close to the Vatican. Then purchased a Hop On/Hop Off 2 day pass from viator dot com. The first morning we walked to the Vatican (which was a huge mistake) and took the Ho Ho for the Northern Section of Rome. Then day 2, we took a taxi to the Vatican, rode through the Northern Section, and got off at the Colosseum for the Southern Section of Rome.

The Ho Ho gets you close to the sites. There is still a lot of walking, but the bus sure felt good on our feet & backs at the end of the day for the ride back to the Vatican. You can sit up top and get great views of Rome as you sometimes sit in traffic, but we even enjoyed that. Got some great pics of folks parked sideways in a tiny spot, our first sighting of "Smart" cars.

In front of the Vatican, there are the Ho Ho buses and there is also a huge taxi queue. It's not always easy in Rome to find taxis, when you want one, and to have your hotel call one, they start the meter immediately, not when they pick you up.

Have a Plan A, and a Plan B for when Plan A falls apart. Then still be prepared to go with the flow when both plans fall apart. Have a great trip!

Beamafar-

We travel a lot - we have to, to get anywhere and see anything, tucked away down here in New Zealand! But where possible prefer to walk everywhere - you never know what you will see around the next corner! We extremely rarely use taxis, and will avoid using public transport as well, if it is achievable on foot. But of course in bigger cities we will use trains or buses. I do a lot of research before we go on any trip, so I know exactly where to go and what to expect. There are great internet resources for travel research! With the street view on google maps you can even get to follow your planned route before you do it! You will get more confident with practice! Enjoy!

Beamafar-

We travel a lot - we have to, to get anywhere and see anything, tucked away down here in New Zealand! But where possible prefer to walk everywhere - you never know what you will see around the next corner! We extremely rarely use taxis, and will avoid using public transport as well, if it is achievable on foot. But of course in bigger cities we will use trains or buses. I do a lot of research before we go on any trip, so I know exactly where to go and what to expect. There are great internet resources for travel research! With the street view on google maps you can even get to follow your planned route before you do it! You will get more confident with practice! Enjoy!

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I've actually travelled quite a lot, myself. I've averaged 4 trips a year for the last few years including Hong Kong, Singapore, Philippines, Orlando, Las Vegas, Lanzarote, Lake Garda in Italy, not to mention 6 cruises in the last three years so I suppose I'm more adventurous than I give myself credit for. I've always got around in taxis, though, so I really need to push out of the comfort zone. Walking is not an option as my DH had a bad foot injury which prevents him from being on his feet for any length of time or walking any distance.

I've used Street View on Google on many occasions to familiarise myself with places but, since I've started using a MacBook Air, I haven't managed to master it - I just need to get more practice at it as you say.