What has improved on Celebrity recently?

Kevnzworld

Seriously, have people really experienced fare increases of 50 to 100%? We sure haven't seen this over the last few years. Yes they've gone up but not half again or doubled across the board.

The promotions 123 and Pick Your Perk are big improvements

No, not that high. However, I think that fares have increased dramatically within the past year. I would say that once the 123 program became a way of life, prices increased accordingly. Not so much during the first wave of freebies, but since then.

I think we've been really lucky and that's why the 50 to 100% seems over the top to me. I just checked 3 of our Reflection cruises. Here are the prices for the same A1 cabin: 2013-$1,299 2014-$1,279 and upcoming in 2015-$1,399. Our February 2015 cruise also has the bev package and $250 for booking onboard.

As I recall, Kevin is generally talking about suites and all he spends. But, he can fill in his details.

Orville..are these seven days? Which reflections are you looking at? Is the ones withy the two and half ports? I noticed they were very low in sales. Which tempted me!

My pretax first Aqua was 1799pp 13 night 2011, our 2015 is 2600pp 14 nights pretax. In between, the rates were lower.

Just back from Summit and we noted several improvements - a higher degree of attention to ensuring that guests are not placed at hygene risks (more plating of food etc) and much better quiz formats and a lot more variety of activities each evening. But the biggest difference was the visibility of the officers taking an active interest in the welfare of the guests and getting their feedback on the ground

As I recall, Kevin is generally talking about suites and all he spends. But, he can fill in his details.

Orville..are these seven days? Which reflections are you looking at? Is the ones withy the two and half ports? I noticed they were very low in sales. Which tempted me!

My pretax first Aqua was 1799pp 13 night 2011, our 2015 is 2600pp 14 nights pretax. In between, the rates were lower.

They were/are the 7 days. We usually book when sailings become available so maybe that is why the pricing is relatively stable. Our A1 14 day Eclipse in 01/16 is also $2600. Interestingly, our 14 day Connie in a CC cabin in 12/10 was $2360, not much different.

Edited by Oville

No, not that high. However, I think that fares have increased dramatically within the past year. I would say that once the 123 program became a way of life, prices increased accordingly. Not so much during the first wave of freebies, but since then.

Freebies are not free. That could account for a significant portion of an increase.

On a recent RCL cruise we booked with no freebies , and we were soon offered their good? drink package freebie for $269 ea.($ might be a little off)

I thought that he sails in suites? Clearly X has made it clear that they are trying to improve their suite experience. Of course at a higher price.

xxx

Okay, back to Kevin's question. Here are some changes that increase my total Celebrity cruise experience. Your list might be different based on your wants, needs and cruising experience.

1. New Loyaly Levels

2. The creation of the Michael's Club Concierge which has lessened the load on the Captain's Club Host/Hostess

3. Moving the Captain's Club from Future Sales Department to Guest Relations.

4. Free premium Drink package for me

5. 1620 free internet minutes for me.

6. Free Suite Amenities for me.

7. Establishing MC as a dedicated Lounge for Top Suites and lowly cabin me

8. Unlimited free dry cleaning for me

9. Chateaubriand in Murano, Ocean Liners, etc.

10. Additions to Bistro on 5 menu.

11. Creation of Celebrity Cruises as the "official"Celebrity poster. On CC and other Social Media

12. Naming younger, home grown Captains to the Master position. Tasos, Nicholas, George for example.

13. Adding people with onboard Celebrity experience to the Miami Office.

14. Moving Future Dales out of the Captain's Xlub Office

15. Addition of several interactive theme nights.

This iis not an all inclusive list. Intended to show what changes work for me. My total cost has actually been cut significantly when I factor in the perks.

Good for you. You spent the Money stayed loyal and you deserve the perks.

Thank you, it has been fun. Fun is probably the best perk. My list is somewhat tongue in check. While true for me I believe that we look for different things. What works for me, doesn't always work for others.

When we were on the Summit last month, we were surprised at how good the coffee was. I love coffee, but prefer typical American coffee not the espresso based ones. The coffee from room service and in the restaurants was excellent.

The food has improved over the last few years all around. I'm not a fan of buffets but the food last month was very good.

I would have to agree about the buffet food on the Summit, it has improved.

I am asking this question because of all of the recent negative comments and posts regarding Celebrity's supposed cutbacks.

This is especially relevant IMO because Celebrity's fares have risen by 50-100% over the last few years. Most of the changes, upgrades and improvements are the addition of new for pay venues like Gastropub or the Lawn Grill. ( Both good concepts ).

I am asking however what has changed for the better in products and services that are INCLUDED in the cruise fare.....

One would expect some , if even modest improvements to help justify the recent steep rise in fares.

Here is one that we have thought of :

The Captains Club changes that give new and additional perks to Elite + members, like free coffee and 90 minutes of free internet.

We board the Silhouette for a one month B2B cruise in little over a week, and I will hopefully be able to post others, if they exist.

In May we sailed from NY to Bermuda on the Summit for a little more than a thousand dollars per person for a balcony cabin and it included the free drink package. I don't see how you think prices have gone up 50 to 100%.

Re: fare increases of 50-100%

This is over a three year period from my POV. I paid $3000 for an AQ cabin for a 14 night South American cruise on Infinity in 2012.

The same cruise is now $9000.

My GF's mother has an AQ room on our upcoming TA. It's $4000, I was in AQ on the same itinerary for $2300.....Last year.

I did a Panama Canal cruise on the Millennium in 2012, a Veranda for $2800

The same cruise next month is $7000

Yes, there are deals, Tuesday specials etc, but overall the fares are significantly higher. The 123 specials are helping to support the higher prices...I noticed that cruise fares increase by about $500 as soon as the promotion is announced.

Orator must be Zenith given the benefits he listed ( he's a gracious and helpful person if you happen to meet him btw )

Again, I don't disparage Celebrity for raising prices, but I'd like to see more improvements vs cutbacks, if for no other reason to make me feel a little better about paying more for the same thing!

I think that the biggest improvement would be new menus. They haven't changed in years.

I'm hoping to report some other improvements from my upcoming cruise next week !

Edited by Kevnzworld

We are leaving on November 4 for a Panama cruise on the Infinity. We booked in June 2013 while on an Alaska cruise. Prices were no where near what you see advertised now but that is because there are very few cabins left. You need to know all the facts before you do a price comparison.

Depends on when you book. The Silhouette TA was $1799 for AQ a year ago. Since it sold really well the prices went up closer to sailing. I will be booking very early again when the new deployments come out while we are on the Equinox this month:D
I book early and my San Juan cruise went up $1,500 from when I booked it in November 2013 for a C2.

Depends on when you book. The Silhouette TA was $1799 for AQ a year ago. Since it sold really well the prices went up closer to sailing. I will be booking very early again when the new deployments come out while we are on the Equinox this month:D

That's per person I believe? The prices I quoted were for the cabin.

If one booked 2014 cruises in 2012-2013 they were a lot cheaper than if you book 2015 cruises now.

That's per person I believe? The prices I quoted were for the cabin.

If one booked 2014 cruises in 2012-2013 they were a lot cheaper than if you book 2015 cruises now.

But isn't it more about supply and demand, the fewer cabins the higher the price? I promise you we have many future cruises and their fares have not increased at the levels you suggest. Again, we book very quickly after a cruise is released.

I'm not doubting your experience at all but I don't think it is typical for most of us.

Edited by Oville

my earliest far out bookings tend to be moved, so my first long time booking experience is this december. One week I could beat the rate, but not the second. It is now 400pp higher and has been for awhile, an s1. Booked last December.

It's AQ I am most concerned about. I am hoping the resturant gets a little touch up and the amenities remain a consideration.

If TA's remain popular, maybe they will put the benefits back for them.

I really appreciate everyone's input as to what works for them as far as bookings and Orville I like your list. Makes me smile.

Edited by hulamoon

Re: fare increases of 50-100%

This is over a three year period from my POV. I paid $3000 for an AQ cabin for a 14 night South American cruise on Infinity in 2012.

The same cruise is now $9000.

My GF's mother has an AQ room on our upcoming TA. It's $4000, I was in AQ on the same itinerary for $2300.....Last year.

I did a Panama Canal cruise on the Millennium in 2012, a Veranda for $2800

The same cruise next month is $7000

Yes, there are deals, Tuesday specials etc, but overall the fares are significantly higher. The 123 specials are helping to support the higher prices...I noticed that cruise fares increase by about $500 as soon as the promotion is announced.

Orator must be Zenith given the benefits he listed ( he's a gracious and helpful person if you happen to meet him btw )

Again, I don't disparage Celebrity for raising prices, but I'd like to see more improvements vs cutbacks, if for no other reason to make me feel a little better about paying more for the same thing!

I think that the biggest improvement would be new menus. They haven't changed in years.

I'm hoping to report some other improvements from my upcoming cruise next week !

I beileve these cruises opened at prices that were more than the prices you saw in 2012 and 2013, but not nearly as much more as you're seeing now. They sold well, and prices rose quickly. You snooze, you looze as they say.

It's not a fair comparison really when you purchased say, 12 months out in 2011 for a 2012 cruise to now purchasing a 2015 sailing in 2014 9 months out, not so much beause prices have risen for no reason but supply and deman. The market has changed, bookings are strong, and they have been able to sell cabins at a faster pace, and then raise prices on the remainng inventory. You're also looking at what I'll label "specialty sailings" which are more rare than the typical Caribbean, Bermuda, Alaska and even Med sailings. Yes, these "special sailings" are in demand due to both limited inventory AND desirable itineraries, hence prices have gone up (significantly).

If you want to do a true comparison, go look at the opening prices of said cruises on the fishy site that will give you the history, come back and post the differences. I can do this, but I need to know more info to get the opening prices of the cruises you've mentioned (like sailing dates AND itineraries to make it easy).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have only taken 2 cruises on Celebrity, a transatlantic in 2009 on the Century and a transpacific last month on the Millennium.

I thought the food on this recent sailing was markedly improved over the food on the Century. The sushi on the Century was as good or better, but aside from that I think the food much better on the Millennium.

The coffee on the Century was consistently horrible. From the MDR to the cova caffe, unbearable. On this recent sailing I was so pleasantly surprised! I had brought a boatload of instant coffee just in case. Because there is nothing like being at sea for an extended time with no decent coffee to be had.

The coffee in the MDR was good, even in the Oceanview cafe it was fine. Only coffee I thought was pretty bad was the room service coffee, but I just ordered hot water & used instant. You know it's bad coffee when instant folgers is a vast improvement. I frequented the coffee shop very often, often for the friendly service from Maria & the other baristas & for the pastries as for the coffee. Glad I got the beverage package I did but mainly for the bottled water - the coffee on board this ship is perfectly fine most anywhere you can pour yourself a cup.

Lastly, I have to say that Captain Kostas (not his full name, but he was frequently referred to as such by the CD) is the most personable and friendly cruise ship Captain I have ever encountered. On the Century I don't think I saw the Captain once aside from the bridge tour & maybe a welcome on board show in the lounge. This Captain said hello to me as I walked into the theater one night, I was stunned when he came on stage & I saw the handsome friendly guy who had greeted me was in the fact the master of the ship.

I sat down at the table next to him when he had lunch in the Oceanview Cafe, he was visible everywhere on the ship and always friendly. The only greeting I ever got from the Captain on a Carnival ship was a mean glare & nearly a snarl for daring to cross his path when I was in the atrium one night.

I appreciated Captain Kostas' morning reports at 10AM and how far off course / north he took us to secure us smoother waters & avoiding a bad storm. 3 Cheers for Captain Kostas!

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

I am asking this question because of all of the recent negative comments and posts regarding Celebrity's supposed cutbacks.

This is especially relevant IMO because Celebrity's fares have risen by 50-100% over the last few years. Most of the changes, upgrades and improvements are the addition of new for pay venues like Gastropub or the Lawn Grill. ( Both good concepts ).

I am asking however what has changed for the better in products and services that are INCLUDED in the cruise fare.....

One would expect some , if even modest improvements to help justify the recent steep rise in fares.

Here is one that we have thought of :

The Captains Club changes that give new and additional perks to Elite + members, like free coffee and 90 minutes of free internet.

We board the Silhouette for a one month B2B cruise in little over a week, and I will hopefully be able to post others, if they exist.

We have been sailing on Celebrity for the last 10 years or more and have noticed cut backs in certain areas. Still we think Celebrity is an excellent value in the premium cruise market. Last year we did a Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale (fabulous) and half the ship was Elite. They were / are entitled to complimentary cocktails during cocktail hour as one of their perks. I guess my point is, each category gets certain perks and as you climb from one category to another the perks become more generous. These perks are going to be paid for one way or another. Prices will go up, or certain things will be cut out or back on to compensate for them. Obviously its not only perks that have to be paid for. New ships are brought on line, from time to time; ships have to maintained, employees and vendors have to be paid. The list goes on and on and in the meantime Celebrity is in business to make a profit. We are on the Constellation in a little over three weeks for our annual Trans Atlantic. We could sail with a luxury line but we would be doubling the price and we certainly would not be getting double the bang for our buck. As I said Celebrity offers an excellent product and a reasonable price point. works for us. Here is wishing everyone a happy cruise!

Edited by Chicago Boy