Cheese Plate Offerings

JennAngel9

Back in June/July I saw several reports that the elaborate cheese options had been replaced with a rotating selection of 4 pre-set cheeses each night. Can anybody who has sailed recently confirm this is the case?

We're looking at a final decision between Volendam and Noordam and I'm assuming that the cheese offerings will be the same irrespective of ship class, but please let me know if this is not the case!

Well I can't gurarantee what you will find on your ship ...We were on the Ryndam the first couple weeks of Sept.

Dh ordered the plate almost every night. And the cheeses did change every night per the dessert menu. Not your usual mainstream cheeses. He remembers 12-15 different cheeses. Then they started repeating the foursome. They were French, Italian and English.

I am sure if you asked for a particular cheese, you could get it every night. But there wasn't a menu of 15 cheeses, like we have seen in the past, to pick from every night to make it more personalized. I'm sure theis makes serving easier. But as with anything menu ordered you can certainly ask for substitutions.

DH had the asst waiter, who deliverd the cheese platters, point out which was which cheese every night. The first night he had no clue. But from the second night on he knew he would be asked, so he'd come with a little sheet of paper to help him point out the names.

At lunch in the lido they offered more mainstream cheeses at the cut it yourself station. But DH thought they were kept fresh.

The waiter was cute as he explained they even got new serving platters for the cheeses, not just using white dinner plates. He thought the plating looked really nice. ;)

DH thinks HAL does the best job with the cheese choices..at least of the mainstreams.

Edited by eandj

Back in June/July I saw several reports that the elaborate cheese options had been replaced with a rotating selection of 4 pre-set cheeses each night. Can anybody who has sailed recently confirm this is the case?

We're looking at a final decision between Volendam and Noordam and I'm assuming that the cheese offerings will be the same irrespective of ship class, but please let me know if this is not the case!

Come on - You mean the choice between 2 ships is the cheese plates. I don't believe it!

Are you able to ask for the cheese plate at the start of the meal as opposed to the dessert?, Thanks, :) John

I would think so, since it's just a course. We never tried it, and you may have to explain it to your server by telling him that you want cheese as an appetizer.

Well I can't gurarantee what you will find on your ship ...We were on the Ryndam the first couple weeks of Sept.

Dh ordered the plate almost every night. And the cheeses did change every night per the dessert menu. Not your usual mainstream cheeses. He remembers 12-15 different cheeses. Then they started repeating the foursome. They were French, Italian and English.

I am sure if you asked for a particular cheese, you could get it every night. But there wasn't a menu of 15 cheeses, like we have seen in the past, to pick from every night to make it more personalized. I'm sure theis makes serving easier. But as with anything menu ordered you can certainly ask for substitutions.

DH had the asst waiter, who deliverd the cheese platters, point out which was which cheese every night. The first night he had no clue. But from the second night on he knew he would be asked, so he'd come with a little sheet of paper to help him point out the names.

At lunch in the lido they offered more mainstream cheeses at the cut it yourself station. But DH thought they were kept fresh.

The waiter was cute as he explained they even got new serving platters for the cheeses, not just using white dinner plates. He thought the plating looked really nice. ;)

DH thinks HAL does the best job with the cheese choices..at least of the mainstreams.

Cheese glorious cheese. I never tire of cheese. Can't wait to sail on the Ryndam in four weeks and order my first of many cheese plates. Pile on the blue stuff too.

Edited by Sue from Canada

wayzer, I have been known to stake greater decisions on less! I actually haven't sailed HAL since I initiated my love affair with cheese, but many of my favorite memories on Celebrity and Seabourn involve the cheese carts. I would always trade a Lobster tail for a runny cheese with some nuts and dried fruit, and once when we stopped in Normandy (in a tiny balcony cabin on Azamara) I brought back a giant wedge of pont l'eveque for the mini-fridge and refused to finish it until the whole stateroom and everything in it reeked of cheese. ;) If you've got an hour to spare I can chat your ear off about the restaurant in Vienna with 50+ cheeses on their (double-decker) cart!

I actually hadn't intended to suggest that I was basing my final decision on cheese availability-- I'm also heavily weighing competing hydro/thermal pool set-ups and may end up back over at Celebrity because I'm addicted to their M-class thalassopools.

Sue, I didn't see your comment before I started composing my ode to cheese, but I can see you understand me.

Strangely, for a cheese aficionado, I've never been able to stand blue cheese, even a gorgonzola or roquefort melted into a sauce or sandwich... my secret cheese snob shame. ;)

Are you able to ask for the cheese plate at the start of the meal as opposed to the dessert?, Thanks, :) John

Absolutely - all you have to do is ask. Was on a cruise where friends ordered the cheese plate the 1st 2 nights before appetizers and by day 3, it was just there when they sat down each evening. The very attentive waiter would note which cheeses they did not seem as fond of and they were never to be seen again. Have to love HAL service!

We had a standing order with our dining steward for either a plate of avocados or cheese plate on the table with our bread. We could nibble while we looked at the menu or skip apps if they did not look good. There were 3 of us and we had late seating, so we were usually hungry by then. We did have to ask him to cut it back to 1 avocado since the normal plate was two of them. Some days they did not have avocados ripe or available so we would have a cheese plate.

You can also get a nice cheese plate from the room service menu.

A few years ago we ordered a cheese plate from room service.

4 tiny pieces of cheese -- none of them were really special -- and no crackers.

Now we just stop by the Lido and make a plate of cheese and crackers to have later in the afternoon with a drink out on the verandah.

A few years ago we ordered a cheese plate from room service.

4 tiny pieces of cheese -- none of them were really special -- and no crackers.

Now we just stop by the Lido and make a plate of cheese and crackers to have later in the afternoon with a drink out on the verandah.

I like to take some cheese from Lido at lunch time to put in our cabin frig for a nibble late afternoon but during Code Orange, the Vista/Signature ships don't put out the cheese like they do after the Code Orange. When I ask someone to get some cheese, I have never yet been successful. I get a blank look, a denial they ever have it in Lido or whatever but I don't get the cheese. :D

I like to take some cheese from Lido at lunch time to put in our cabin frig for a nibble late afternoon but during Code Orange, the Vista/Signature ships don't put out the cheese like they do after the Code Orange. When I ask someone to get some cheese, I have never yet been successful. I get a blank look, a denial they ever have it in Lido or whatever but I don't get the cheese. :D

We're stealing your cheese plate idea. ;) In the past, we always ordered cheese plates from room service, but I like the idea of FYOC (Fetch Your Own Cheese) better. The room service cheeses are perfectly fine, but unless they've changes things up, there's a distinct lack of blues on the room service cheese plate.

When we sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we'll definitely see if we specify some cheese selections. We're kind of partial to Stilton and Humboldt Fog. In all honesty though, we will try just about anything. That's how you learn. :)

We're stealing your cheese plate idea. ;) In the past, we always ordered cheese plates from room service, but I like the idea of FYOC (Fetch Your Own Cheese) better. The room service cheeses are perfectly fine, but unless they've changes things up, there's a distinct lack of blues on the room service cheese plate.

When we sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we'll definitely see if we specify some cheese selections. We're kind of partial to Stilton and Humboldt Fog. In all honesty though, we will try just about anything. That's how you learn. :)

I love Stilton. Neptune Lounge offered Stilton with cranberries a few times and it was wonderful. :)

I bring a few ziplocs and when I return to the cabin with our cheese plate from Lido, I put the perishable cheese in the frig for later and we enjoy a nice selection of crackers and definitely some 'blue''. :)

I have to remember...... FYOC :cool: :)

During Code Orange, we are able to get cheese from the "dome" on all the ships except that Westerdam cruise in 2013.

Absolutely - all you have to do is ask. Was on a cruise where friends ordered the cheese plate the 1st 2 nights before appetizers and by day 3, it was just there when they sat down each evening. The very attentive waiter would note which cheeses they did not seem as fond of and they were never to be seen again. Have to love HAL service!

And here's an example of a waiter who'd get that little envelope on the last night....above and beyond.:D

I love Stilton. Neptune Lounge offered Stilton with cranberries a few times and it was wonderful. :)

I bring a few ziplocs and when I return to the cabin with our cheese plate from Lido, I put the perishable cheese in the frig for later and we enjoy a nice selection of crackers and definitely some 'blue''. :)

I have to remember...... FYOC :cool: :)

Instead of Ziploc bags I go to the dollar store and buy a package of 12 clear shower caps. They fit nicely over a plate from the Lido:)

Instead of Ziploc bags I go to the dollar store and buy a package of 12 clear shower caps. They fit nicely over a plate from the Lido:)

I've seen this idea before....we like to get a selection of cheese from the Lido and take it to our stateroom to enjoy with cocktails. The P-dam has a lovely selection of cheeses in the Lido. :D:D

During Code Orange, we are able to get cheese from the "dome" on all the ships except that Westerdam cruise in 2013.

I was speaking of Lido; not Neptune. :)

Neptune usually only has one cheese at a time. I like a little assortment

such as is usually offered in Lido at lunch...... except for during Code

Orange.

Yes, Yes, Yes..... I totally agree. :)

I've mentioned a number of times here on CC to use the shower caps to cover the plates. If we have a cookie or a muffin, I put the shower cap over the plate on the counter as I never leave food out uncovered. The Ziploc fits in the small frig more easily than a covered plate.

Edited by sail7seas