Have you ever attended "On Stage Alaska?"

JimAOk1945

My wife and I are considering a 14 day Alaska cruise in 2016. I have read a lot of wonderful reviews and comments about it. We have cruised Alaska twice on two different lines and enjoyed both cruises very much, but are now looking at the HAL cruise for a more extensive experience. We are not interested in a cruise-tour, just a cruise.

In talking to our TA about our future plans, she mentioned something calledand we reserved our places to attend the program.

I'm just wondering whether any of you experience HAL cruisers have attended such a program.

Edited by JimAOk1945

I have never heard of "On Stage Alaska".

Is it offered by your travel agency? Our travel agency had never had anything like that.

We have done the 14 day Alaskan cruise round trip out of Seattle that includes Kodiak, Homer and Anchorage. Is that the one you are looking at? Or you looking at the Collectors Cruise that leaves out of Vancouver and goes to Seward and then returns to Vancouver -- it repeats a couple of ports?

Over many years we have attended several of HAL's Alaska shows aimed at convincing folks to travel with them to the Great Land. Most were informational and some were down right great shows.

We would attend another if it showed up in our area and were able to attend.

I have approx. 10 cruises to Alaska with Holland America. Never heard of

"On Stage Alaska". Perhaps you TA is thinking of another cruise line. The 3 most popular cruise lines going to Alaska are Holland America, Princess and Norwegian.

On Stage Alaska is a HAL and AAA sales presentation for travel to Alaska.

I went to it once, several years ago. It is far enough in the past that I don't recall the specifics of the show, but recent enough that I remember finding it interesting.

Oh, and they did give small boxes of a Seattle chocolate candy. :D

Go. You have nothing to lose.

Yes. It's fun and very informative. They have been through AAA and focus on the Alaska ports and what HAL has to offer. They usually have some give aways (not cruises) but a gift basket or book. You will probably get the HAL cruise atlas (which is reason enough for me to attend). If you have been to Alaska before this will bring back wonderful memories!

Yes, I have attended a couple of these presentations and have enjoyed both that I attended. Always enjoyable to see video views of The Great Land. Both of the presenters were HAL employees: one was a tour bus driver/guide during the Alaska season (and he drove one of the HAL tour buses to the presentation so that people could see what the interior was like). The other person, a woman, worked in Shore Excursions on one of the ships, if my memory is correct about that.

Just as a sidelight to my post: when I entered the meeting room of the hotel where the program was going to be, the Manager of a travel agency with whom I have booked Alaska cruises in the past saw me and said: "What are you doing here?" Jokingly, of course. Speaking with a few of the people sitting around me, I was able to answer some questions and expand on some of the points the speakers made once they knew I had been to Alaska. I may have helped spur a booking or two.

Speaking with a few of the people sitting around me, I was able to answer some questions and expand on some of the points the speakers made once they knew I had been to Alaska. I may have helped spur a booking or two.

They should pay you a commission in on board credit! :D

They should pay you a commission in on board credit! :D

That thought has crossed my mind!

I no longer use that agency, however. I have found one that offers nice perks and better pricing than I could receive from the other firm. Truly regret that because the people with whom I worked were really knowledgable and competent folks. The agency just would not or could not match the offers of my current travel agency. To change agencies was a business decision on my part.

A big thank you to everyone who responded to my question in post #1. I am delighted to know it will be an informative and entertaining program. I neglected to mention that it is being offered by AAA.

We are thinking about booking the 14 day round trip Alaska cruise that begins and ends in Seattle. From everything I've read about it here on CC, it sounds like a fantastic experience and itinerary. I think this will be a great way to celebrate our anniversary in 2016. I'm looking forward to booking a cruise as soon as the 2016 calendar opens. :D

Be sure to do some shopping for pricing JimAOK1945. There will be an attempt at the end of the program for people to make a booking.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm planning to book a cruise in the summer of 2016. The program we are planning to attend is next week. Do you think they might have cruises available this far out?

I attended this in 2009 With friends. We had dinner later and made an evening of it.

For attending we all got a bag with a cruise atlas and brochures and in addition, we all received a voucher for a nominal amount of OBC (I think it was $50) on a future cruise booked with the sponsoring agency.

None of us ever used that OBC. I chose to book with an agent who was able to provide a better deal and who was willing to utilize my air perks for the flights.

Our AAA doesn't have any presentations like that.

But they do a talk show on our one of our local radio stations every Saturday. And yesterday we just happened to be doing some errands while the show was on. Usually the woman who does the AAA talk promotes RCI. But yesterday she talked about HAL and their Explore4 program. Boy she gave out a lot of wrong information -- she didn't do her homework. Examples -- Pinnacle Grill -- $25, any drink you want is covered in the Explore4 package -- she mentioned about all the different wines you could get for dinner.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm planning to book a cruise in the summer of 2016. The program we are planning to attend is next week. Do you think they might have cruises available this far out?

No. The 2016 schedule is but a distant vision.

A big thank you to everyone who responded to my question in post #1. I am delighted to know it will be an informative and entertaining program. I neglected to mention that it is being offered by AAA.

We are thinking about booking the 14 day round trip Alaska cruise that begins and ends in Seattle. From everything I've read about it here on CC, it sounds like a fantastic experience and itinerary. I think this will be a great way to celebrate our anniversary in 2016. I'm looking forward to booking a cruise as soon as the 2016 calendar opens. :D

We did that cruise on the Amsterdam the first year it was offered. It was my favorite of all Alaska cruises. For 2015 it is on the Statendam which is being transferred to Australia so I'm hoping they will bring back that 14 day itinerary in 2016 and wondering which ship will be sailing it.....hopefully the Amsterdam again.

As RuthC said, 2016 is too far out. But attending the program now is an excellent idea. You will gain some information that you probably don't have and it will give you time to formulate questions about the various options that an Alaska Cruise or Cruisetour offers. And, believe me, there are many options!

Happy planning!

:) We attended one of these presentations about 3 years ago at a local hotel. It was very nice with free hors dourves wine and a goody bag for each couple. Also had door prizes and I won a beautiful hard covered book spotlighting all the art aboard HAL ships

We did that cruise on the Amsterdam the first year it was offered. It was my favorite of all Alaska cruises. For 2015 it is on the Statendam which is being transferred to Australia so I'm hoping they will bring back that 14 day itinerary in 2016 and wondering which ship will be sailing it.....hopefully the Amsterdam again.

It will be interesting to see which ship will be doing the 14 day itinerary in 2016. What are the chances it would be the newest ship, the Koningsdam?

Edited by JimAOk1945

As RuthC said, 2016 is too far out. But attending the program now is an excellent idea. You will gain some information that you probably don't have and it will give you time to formulate questions about the various options that an Alaska Cruise or Cruisetour offers. And, believe me, there are many options!

Happy planning!

Yes, we are looking forward to attending the program. We haven't cruised on HAL so it will be a great opportunity to learn and ask questions. Planning a cruise is part of the fun and I enjoy it immensely.

It will be interesting to see which ship will be doing the 14 day itinerary in 2016. What are the chances it would be the newest ship, the Koningsdam?

If the port information for 2016 that others have posted is correct, the probability that the new ship will be in Alaska is zero at that time.

However, plans can change and do change. No one really knows on a public message board such as ours as to what the future positioning of the newbuild will be.

Edited by rkacruiser

Based on posts in another thread, zero to none. The posts report the Koningsdam is scheduled to dock in various European ports during the 2016 summer season.

We were on the Amsterdam in May 2014 for her first of those cruises. Wonderful experience, especially since we accepted an upsell to a balcony cabin.

Be sure you read lots of posts in the Alaska forum. Those people are knowledgeable and experienced. I got lots of help there before our cruise, especially from BudgetQueen.