Live from infinity TA - October 13-27

ghstudio

captain's club hostess is Claudia

Thank you. I am guessing she can't be that great as she hasn't made much of an impression on you? Our experience is that the CC hostess can make or break a cruise. In fact I am kind of surprised you haven't taken your concerns about the Elite cocktail hour to her as it is her function and her job to keep CC members happy.

Interesting to get two different perspectives on the same cruise. I guess it just goes to show you that people view things differently.

Ohio State game was a bit more interesting than we thought it would be, eh, GO BUCKS? It turned out OK in the end though.

O-H-I-O

Ohiodoglover

captain's club hostess is Claudia

Thank you. I am guessing she can't be that great as she hasn't made much of an impression on you? Our experience is that the CC hostess can make or break a cruise.

Claudia Del Castillo on Infinity is one of our all time favorite Captain Club's hostess. :)

Thank you. I am guessing she can't be that great as she hasn't made much of an impression on you? Our experience is that the CC hostess can make or break a cruise. In fact I am kind of surprised you haven't taken your concerns about the Elite cocktail hour to her as it is her function and her job to keep CC members happy.

Interesting perspective. We're of the mind that "we" make or break a cruise ... or any trip for that matter ... that we happen to be on mind. It's nice to know the Elite hostess and others are there should we need to take concerns to them, but how we deal with such concerns in our own minds is what really makes the difference to our experience.

Interesting perspective. We're of the mind that "we" make or break a cruise ... or any trip for that matter ... that we happen to be on mind. It's nice to know the Elite hostess and others are there should we need to take concerns to them, but how we deal with such concerns in our own minds is what really makes the difference to our experience.

I didn't mean make or break the entire cruise. But they can definitely make it better. I meant in how things go with the Elite program. The OP has pretty much complained for the entire cruise about the Elite cocktail hour. If that is what makes a difference for you, then the CC host/hostess should definitely be able to help.

What they can do is make a cruise a lot more special. We have had some great ones over the years and they have made every cruise so much more special for us. We sailed three times with Carina from Nova Scotia on Century and she became a good friend.

Not my job…

It’s a beautiful day in Nassau….we walked around a bit and then went to Senor Frog for our favorite guacamole dip and conch salad (both outstanding made at your table). While they claimed to have wifi, it wasn’t working (not a surprise….it didn’t work last year either). Starbucks doesn’t take starbuck cards and charges $3 an hour for internet??? I wonder if they are a real starbucks?

Back to “not my job”….we got off the boat midship deck 1…ramp was quite steep with an even steeper part at the bottom. No one helping folks get off (and we clearly had folks who needed help)??? But the real problem was that someone was washing deck 11 directly over the gangway….and as you can expect it rained on and near the gangway. The security guard though it was funny and refused to do anything about it other than try to scream at the guy to get his attention…. even though he had a radio…..”not my job”. After a while the guy on 11 moved further forward or aft and the shower stopped or moved away from the gangway.. The only celebrity folks outside the ship were security staff. Not well done Celebrity….a little planning would have helped…a little concern by security would have been helpful….doing nothing was clearly not helpful.

As far as Claudia…she’s doing a great job as captain’s club hostess. I don’t focus on names, but if I have a complement or non complement, I try to find the appropriate officer. That doesn’t always work..the only officer on shore when we returned were the environmental officer, I did tell him about the problem leaving the ship…no idea if it will ever reach the right ears.

This has not been our best cruise…nor our worst, but the weather has really put a damper on the experience. Of course there’s nothing Celebrity can do about that. Generally they handled things quite well…we spent far more time on our balcony on this cruise than on 10/11 around the pool…at least when it was nice and that was a pleasure.

Obviously from my first posts, choosing a rear A1 will remain a question in my mind. When the seas are smooth, it’s wonderful…if the seas are rough, no so much. I think with the bungee cord and tape, I’d book it again. Since they no longer allow smoking on deck 10, smoke is not an issue on the rear balconies….but be prepared for the smell of garlic….I presume from the pasta station on 10.

David (maître d’) in blu did a wonderful job even though everyone seemed to want to eat at the same time. I’ve mentioned the outstanding somellier in Blu before. Claudia did a very good job of herding 500+ elites…there were some slips at the elite breakfast and cocktail hour, but I think in both cases they may have been caused by staff cuts. Mixing drinks terribly is some backroom problem….perhaps a waiter is pouring his own drinks…not sure, but my wife has been unable to get a decent kir royale, which is on the menu, for four nights. She’s given up. We’re not talking just a little off here…we’re either talking pure cassis or champagne with no bubbles at all.

As I said earlier, bloody mary’s really are not on the evening cocktail hour menu. I suggest you order spicy tomato juice (on the menu) and some vodka (on the menu) and mix it yourself Sounds pretty stupid to me, but the rules are the rules..

ghstudio -

We are on Infinity soon to South America. I have found your comments so useful. Simple and honest as-you-see-things. Thank you.

I, and am sure you, understand that others may have a different viewpoint. That's fine. I have a blender! I hope I can also tell the CC member who wants to offer a balanced view from the one who for whom the glass is always half empty.

As we have around 60 days booked on Celebrity in the next two years (but only 14 on Infinity) and have only sailed once with this cruise line previously, I hope for the positive and will watch-out for the negative.

Edited by Balloon Man

Is there any more info about assignment of disembarkation times?

we will sail on Reflection RT from Miami in Nov. (counting down) We are hoping for Luggage Valet acceptance, but either way need to walk off as early as we can to catch a cab and flight out of FLL at 12:15..,just curious how this is being handled on your cruise, if you know anymore about it...Thank You,

GHSTUDIO,

Many thanks for your informative blog. Though your rough weather experience was a challenge in your aft facing Aqua stateroom, I'm still looking forward to my upcoming experience in the Southern Caribbean in 1140. Bye the way, is it feasible to have a basket attached to a line to bring up drinks from the Sunset Lounge?

sorry...can't say more about disembarkation. My wife identified our friends by name and cabin number and they got a different group number. Apparently any info you give them is ignored. I'm sure if you have to be off early, they can make it happen...but it will involve you proactively asking and following up on your request.

GHSTUDIO,

Many thanks for your informative blog. Though your rough weather experience was a challenge in your aft facing Aqua stateroom, I'm still looking forward to my upcoming experience in the Southern Caribbean in 1140. Bye the way, is it feasible to have a basket attached to a line to bring up drinks from the Sunset Lounge?

cute idea, but there is an awning in the way. You'll just have to walk down on flight of stairs directly to the bar.

Interesting to get two different perspectives on the same cruise. I guess it just goes to show you that people view things differently.

Ohio State game was a bit more interesting than we thought it would be, eh, GO BUCKS? It turned out OK in the end though.

O-H-I-O

Ohiodoglover

Sadly, at 8pm they turned off football and put on golf and soccer! :mad: Today on Cabbage beach we talked to some people from Akron, Ohio who told me about the game. Too bad we missed it, but glad we won.

We had a nice day in Nassau. Went to church then shopping, Atlantis and Cabbage beach. Just now ready to sail away. This has been a great vacation!! :D

Just watched you sailaway! Thanks for the review. My son boards tomorrow! His first cruise since he was a teenager, now he is 26 and first cruise with his girlfriend. He has sailed X several times when younger, he is really going enjoy! Thanks again. We will be in aft AQ on connie next month. Can't wait, and bringing Bungees and Duct tape.

I didn't mean make or break the entire cruise. But they can definitely make it better. I meant in how things go with the Elite program. The OP has pretty much complained for the entire cruise about the Elite cocktail hour. If that is what makes a difference for you, then the CC host/hostess should definitely be able to help.

What they can do is make a cruise a lot more special. We have had some great ones over the years and they have made every cruise so much more special for us. We sailed three times with Carina from Nova Scotia on Century and she became a good friend.

We liked Carina very much too. Is she still with Celebrity? I haven't seen her name in a while.

Will be interested to hear how your room steward is. We had the worst room steward ever on the Infinity in an Aqua Class cabin on deck 11.

My wife thinks this is the same guy we had. Everything we wanted we had to ask for. If he spent a little less time looking for tips & actually giving his passengers what they want he would actually get tips. We also only had 3 apples which remained in the cabin for the duration of the cruise. No iced tea, no flowers, no pillow menu & my wife asked for a X bag, the one you normally get in Aqua & was told there wasn't any. She went to see the consierge & low & behold one was there on our return.

We liked Carina very much too. Is she still with Celebrity? I haven't seen her name in a while.

No, they worked her to death. Kept extending her. She left Century a month after we did in 2012 and never came back. Sad.

Our cabin attendant on 11 was ok...but not special. We had towel animals on three days. Iced tea was there for the first few days and then disappeared. But the cabin was always made up quickly...and that's what really counts. Our extra tips went to the folks in Blu...sommelier, David the maitre d' and his assistant. all of whom did make a difference.

Departure worked very well. Bags are sorted into relatively small groups so it's easy to find yours. The line was not too long, however since one of our party used a walker, we were intercepted and fast pathed though.

I'll post separately about our butler, but our suite experience was very nice. Disembarkation was a mixed bag. Our butler said we had to be out of the room by 8am but he never told us that we could wait in the Constellation lounge instead of the theater - when I asked, he reluctantly said "yes. " That was a nice place, but when we got to the luggage pick up it was chaos. Many of us were herded in circles trying to get to our bags. Spent an hour in line to go through customs.

When we arrived in our suite there was a list of the perks. The last one said that suites folks would be charged $5/person per meal to eat in Blu! Our butler confirmed that but we ate there the whole cruise and didn't get charged. The maitre d said they do not charge. Was very confusing - but we LOVED eating there!

I'm at the Ritz Carlton hotel in Ft Lauderdale right now and enjoying their pampering. Great way to end the vacation. 😊

Sorry to hear about the luggage mess-up. It was very organized when we got there. We waited in the constellation lounge (we didn't have a must leave your cabin time) and when they got near our number, we decided to just get in line to get off...not realizing that there wasn't any line on the ship. When we got to our luggage, I guess we were the first in our group (I think we were group 16 and they had called 15) so it was easy to get our bags out. We were on the Hertz bus incredibly quickly.

GoBucks...I'm curious about the longer waits in Blu than we've experienced before, I asked and was told that suite guests were asked to dine before 6:30 or after 8:30 and they were holding to that, other than the RS. Did you fall in one of those groups or were they actually letting suite guests in at any time?

Edited by ghstudio