Please Tell Me About The Prinsendam

roadbeagle

We are going on our first cruise on the Prinsendam on the November 4th Transatlantic. I would love to hear about why you like or don't like the Prinsendam. Also, any tips or suggestions about cruising on The Prinsendam would really be appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.:)

We are going on our first cruise on the Prinsendam on the November 4th Transatlantic. I would love to hear about why you like or don't like the Prinsendam. Also, any tips or suggestions about cruising on The Prinsendam would really be appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.:)

We have been on the Prinsendam a few times, including several cruises that were or included Transatlantics. Loved them all. The ship is fairly old, but was built as the epitome of luxury when constructed, and has been maintained well as she progressed thru multiple cruise line owners. She rides the seas very well. She has been blessed with a series of fine captains, who have maintained a high standard of maintainance. Smaller than any of the other HAL ships, she is easy to get about in and nowhere is very far to walk. Smaller passenger count is good, except the addition of cabins has not been matched by enlarged lido facilities, but if you avoid prime times, even that is not an issue.

Multiple drydocks and renovations have kept her looking good. The crew and service is exactly what you expect from Holland America, as is the food. One word--excellent!

The front desk staff especially has to be mentioned, the staff there have consistantly been the best we have ever experienced. On any line.

I can see from your past cruises that you enjoy what Holland America has to offer, and odds are that you are going to feel like you have come home once again when you walk aboard and your card is read. This is an easy ship to love.

Have a great cruise.

We loved our recent cruise on the Prinsendam.our cruisr was a port intensive one, so not very similar to a TA, but had plenty of activities and very good entertainment.

I enjoyed spending any down time by the aft pool! We loved the production shows and the talented cast. We found the food and service to be quite good in both the Buffet and main dining room.

We had a standard outside cabin and it was spacious, had a great closet and we easily could have spent a long cruise in this cabin. Loved the self service laundry, which is free.

Great shop, great crew!!

We loved our recent cruise on the Prinsendam.our cruisr was a port intensive one, so not very similar to a TA, but had plenty of activities and very good entertainment.

I enjoyed spending any down time by the aft pool! We loved the production shows and the talented cast. We found the food and service to be quite good in both the Buffet and main dining room.

We had a standard outside cabin and it was spacious, had a great closet and we easily could have spent a long cruise in this cabin. Loved the self service laundry, which is free.

Great shop, great crew!!

Thank you. We are really looking forward to our cruise!

We've been on Prinsendam 4 times. We are booked on the TA for next November. We look forward to having 8 sea days to enjoy her even more. We've never done a TA, but heard she rides the waves well! Like someone previously mentioned, she was built at a time when quality was important, as she was built for a luxury line. The luxury ships today that I've been on (only one) aren't as nice. It would probably be cost prohibitive to use the same materials today. She is older, so expect some rust. The cabinetry in the cabins is getting worn. But, her public areas are still lovely. I think it would cost too much for HAL to redo the cabins, so she will most likely be sold in a few years.

Do check out this thread from a cruiser currently on the Prinsendam:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2102814&page=99

I will disagree with one thing that's been said so far. The lido was effectively expanded in the last drydock by enclosing the deck at the aft end of the lido as a lovely enclosed area which also serves as a Canaletto.

My preferred cruise line is Crystal and the Prinsendam is my favorite non-Crystal ship by a large margin.

Roy

Do check out this thread from a cruiser currently on the Prinsendam:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2102814&page=99

I will disagree with one thing that's been said so far. The lido was effectively expanded in the last drydock by enclosing the deck at the aft end of the lido as a lovely enclosed area which also serves as a Canaletto.

My preferred cruise line is Crystal and the Prinsendam is my favorite non-Crystal ship by a large margin.

Roy

That enclosed area was always available for lido usage if weather allowed, since at least the time when the ship was sailing as the Seabourn Sun. We enjoyed many meals sitting out there. It was covered with a canvas canopy and open on all sides. Now it is glass enclosed with a permanent roof. Before this, there was a narrow glass walled passageway aft of the elevator shaft with 2tops along the outer edge, that joined the port and starboard aft portions of the inside lido area.

One thing that you will quickly notice is that since the Prinsendam carries fewer passengers, the crew gets to know the passengers who are aboard much better, and must faster.

I found I was called by name by the first morning, and the stewards knew my preferences by the second evening.

Service overall was kicked up a notch compared to the larger ships in the fleet. So was the food, imo. ;)

After sailing on so many of the other HAL ships, I sailed the Prinsendam on this past year's Holiday Cruise. I was smitten. So much so that I'll be leaving next month for the Amazon Explorer cruise. If Thanksgiving dinner is anything like the dinners we had for Christmas and New Year, I'll be in heaven. It was wonderful. Enjoy your transatlantic cruise, and, yes, the ship rides the waves beautifully.

Regarding the E category cabins on lower promenade on Prinsendam: Are these cabins the same size as other outside cabins on Prinsendam? And how much is one on display in the cabin to those walking the deck on lower prom? And thirdly, how much noise does one get from the theatre that is just above?

Thanks,

D

Edited by blue whale

Regarding the E category cabins on lower promenade on Prinsendam: Are these cabins the same size as other outside cabins on Prinsendam? And how much is one on display in the cabin to those walking the deck on lower prom? And thirdly, how much noise does one get from the theatre that is just above?

Thanks,

D

The cabins are the same size, I believe. If you have the lights on in your cabin, people will be able to see in. Close your drapes at night! You are going to get noise from the theater. It may not bother you if you got a good last minute deal on your cabin!

I thought the P'dam was pretty much like the Maasdam or Ryndam, just smaller. We were on a T-A which had no special ports that a larger ship could not visit, and therefore I felt that the premium price was not worth it. I would only go on the P'dam again for a very unique itinerary.

Edited by jtl513

I thought the P'dam was pretty much like the Maasdam or Ryndam, just smaller. We were on a T-A which had no special ports that a larger ship could not visit, and therefore I felt that the premium price was not worth it. I would only go on the P'dam again for a very unique itinerary.

Did you find the MDR food selection/quality or the service generally

any different than on Maasdam/Ryndam?

I think Jacqui would be the person to ask that question. She sails Maasdam as well, in the Caribbean. I am quite sure she always says Prinsendam steps it up a notch, similar to what Ruth has said. I generally don't trust the opinions of those who say Prinsendam is similar to the other HAL ships, because it just isn't true. You wouldn't have a large group of repeat passengers paying a premium to sail her otherwise. I can only compare her to Amsterdam. Better food and service. The service and food is much better than Regent's Navigator.

When Prinsendam is sold, we will probably sail HAL's midsize ships. I will let you know then!

Sail, here's one small example of what I mean by the difference in food on the Prinsendam:

On every other HAL ship I have had a delicious meal of prime rib (except that time with barbecue sauce :eek:). On the Prinsendam, it was routinely served with Yorkshire pudding. Just as it should be! :)

Sail, here's one small example of what I mean by the difference in food on the Prinsendam:

On every other HAL ship I have had a delicious meal of prime rib (except that time with barbecue sauce :eek:). On the Prinsendam, it was routinely served with Yorkshire pudding. Just as it should be! :)

That does kick it up a notch ! :)

Thanks, Ruth.

I guess it will be too late to let you know my opinion after Prinsendam is sold. I would add a smiley face if I knew how! I don't think we will sail another HAL ship for a few more years. I want to sail P exclusively until she is gone! That will be a sad for a group of us "repeaters". We do like HAL, so the plan is to find another HAL ship we will like---also, we are getting close to 4 star.

I'd say there was a little more variety of food, but I attribute that to the fact that we were on the last segment of a Grand Med voyage. As far as quality of food or service I saw no appreciable difference.
I generally don't trust the opinions of those who say Prinsendam is similar to the other HAL ships, because it just isn't true. ... I can only compare her to Amsterdam.
If you "can only compare her to the Amsterdam" then you can not possibly know first hand how she compares to the Ryndam and Maasdam. DW and I have been on 10 other HAL ships, four of them two or more times, and repeat that in our opinion the P'dam resembles the S-class ships a great deal, except in size.

You wouldn't have a large group of repeat passengers paying a premium to sail her otherwise.
There are many reasons why a ship becomes a favorite of an individual. I believe many of the P'dam aficionados are attracted by the unique ports she can visit as much as by the ship itself.

I like the ship - as I do all HAL ships to varying degrees - but would only pay premium prices again for a unique itinerary.

Edited by jtl513