Celebrity GTY Suite Advice Needed

lesarasota

Hi Everyone,

We're going to be first time celebrity cruisers on the Celebrity Equinox for our honeymoon this January. We're about 80-days out and on a whim decided to upgrade from a AQ cabin to a GTY Suite. I'm feeling a little nervous about this decision. Can anyone tell me if they have done this in the past and what the outcome has been? How long does it usually take to find out what stateroom we'll be assigned to? Do you think we made the right choice?

Thank you for your time and help!

Edited by lesarasota

I have upgraded to a guarantee from Aqua before and I ended up with a penthouse deck SS on the aft. The worst thing that will happen is you will have a suite in a location you do not care for or a handicapped. Some people think they are advantageous because they are larger.

For us the assignment was within a few days but it can be at anytime.

I would do it again as the space is important to me.

Hmmmm sounds nit really tricky....

Look for unbooked suites

if there is any you do not like, because of location, others may do not like it as well.....

This would be worst case, if you can life with that, do it

Otherwise its a game, sometimes you win, more often you loose.....

:)

Welcome to Celebrity!

If it is any reassurance... I would have made the same choice.

The S-Class Ships, of which the Equinox is one, are truly GORGEOUS

You cannot go wrong with a suite... Especially for your Honeymoon

(Don't think there is a "bad" suite to be had on these ships)

When we sailed on The Solstice (Jan 2012) we were in Concierge Class on the Sky Deck (Deck 10) on "Suite Row" (Royals & Celebritys) and it was a fabulous location... Midship, and central to everything. Deck 11 is similar, but also home to the Penthouse Suites.

Sky Suites tend to be at the rear of the ship... Aft in the corners, or over the wake.

We love being aft, having done that also in Concierge on an M-Class Ship

So seriously, I don't think you could have made a better decision... No doubt you'll be happy with whatever cabin you end up with.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, and do enjoy your wonderful Honeymoon cruise.

Cheers!

Ps... Check the S-Ship Spreadsheet STICKY at the top of this Forum for the scoop on individual suites... And make a list of ones you would prefer. If you end up with one you are not so crazy about, ask if you can swap it for any others that remain available in the same category (ie an S2 for another S2).

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Never been able to take advantage of a suite GTY myself, but I"m pretty sure others have posted that once you have an assigned cabin, if you're not happy with it you can switch to a different available one - within the same category you have been assigned.

We've done this twice. The first time, we called and asked for a different suite (in the same assigned category) and were accommodated.

The second we were very happy with the assigned suite.

As others have said, as far as suites go... the worst situation is a handicapped suite, if the bathroom is even an issue for you.

Hi Everyone,

We're going to be first time celebrity cruisers on the Celebrity Equinox for our honeymoon this January. We're about 80-days out and on a whim decided to upgrade from a AQ cabin to a GTY Suite. I'm feeling a little nervous about this decision. Can anyone tell me if they have done this in the past and what the outcome has been? How long does it usually take to find out what stateroom we'll be assigned to? Do you think we made the right choice?

Hi Lesarasota,

For the most part, you can't go wrong. However, I must mention 1 item and disagree with Sloop John a little.... All of the Cat S1, and many of the S2's are at the very aft of the ship. One of the very few negatives of the Solstice Class ships, is the lack of Aft elevators. While that's not an issue for many, it is a very long walk from the Mid-Ship elevators. If walking distances are an issue for you, I'd give this some consideration. If it's not a concern, then I'd would absolutely go for the Suite GTY.

As Koolforkatz mentioned, if you do not like your assignment, you can try to switch cabins once assigned... but only in the same category. Hope this is helpful, and good luck !

Hi Everyone,

You made the right call. If we saw a Suite GTY at a price we liked, we would definitely do the upgrade as well. While some suites may be a bit of a further walk to elevators like Andy said, as long as that is not an issue for you (and it is not for us) I would much prefer to sail in a suite. You can still dine in Blu depending on availability and of course you always have the speciality restaurants if you don't want the busyness of MDR.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and have a wonderful honeymoon!

Cheers & Happy Sailing!

Good point made by HOST ANDY... The S-Ships not having aft elevators.

But I wager low on the dererant list for most people when considering a Suite.

Bigger Room, Better Amenities & a Butler would be the major selling points in my mind.

As for the Handicapped / Accessible Suites that others have mentioned... As I understand it the primary issue there are the Bathrooms, with their roll in showers. Means there is more of a mess / water spillage whenthey are used.

But hey, in my book small price to pay (especially when it is not you who has to clean it up, but the Room Stewards)

Cheers!

All of your responses are really helpful. Thank you!

I didn't take the handicapped rooms into consideration, but I don't think it would bother us too much. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for Celebrity to assign the cabin for a GTY?

Hi Everyone,

Good advice from others. I upgraded to a Suite GTY on a Reflection TA as did many others on our rollcall. We were assigned a S2 immediately (check on line) and we were pleased with our decision. Others received S2, SI, Aqua Suite, and even a Royal Suite, so you are never certain. I tried to move our cabin to one more aft, but one was never available.

I am sure you will enjoy the experience. We enjoyed checking the MDR menus and the Blu menus and deciding where to eat. It was never a problem for us.

Have a great cruise.

I switched to a suite guarantee from a veranda two days ago. It was about five hundred dollars more for each of us, but I thought it worth it for a ten night cruise on the Equinox. I chatted with the representative and joked that as an Elite it would be great to have a sky suite 1, but as an Elite , I know the upgrades usually go to first timers, not loyal repeaters, so I expect the sky suite 2. Lo and behold, I was assigned my cabin the next morning- just what was guaranteed- a sky suite 2. I am still very pleased as they are lovely. My only concern is that it is under the buffet area, so there may be noise.

A questioin...

When you had a confirmed AQ, did you also have a 123 perk such as free beverage etc?

I've been told by a TA that if one switches from a confirmed category to a GTY even if paying a higher price, one will lose the 123 perks associated with the original confirmed cabin, GTY's don't qualify.

A questioin...

When you had a confirmed AQ, did you also have a 123 perk such as free beverage etc?

I've been told by a TA that if one switches from a confirmed category to a GTY even if paying a higher price, one will lose the 123 perks associated with the original confirmed cabin, GTY's don't qualify.

I lost my perk when I took the guarantee. It was not combinable with another offer, but a thousand dollars off trumped the two hundred dollar credit

A questioin...

I also lost my 123 perk when we took advantage of the suite GTY. It might be different if you have the 123 perk via the on board book now.

A questioin...

I asked this very question a couple of days ago, CC club told me sometimes yes and sometimes no. It is my understanding booking on board you would at keep Obc but would exchange drink package or 123 for resident or senior rate etc.

In other words some guarantees are standard rate.

Wow, we already heard back from Celebrity on our stateroom. We've been put in a S1 corner suite. We're SO excited!! :)

Congrats on the special occasion, and on the room. It's a really nice cabin, with a great view.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu9vWt

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I asked this very question a couple of days ago, CC club told me sometimes yes and sometimes no. It is my understanding booking on board you would at keep Obc but would exchange drink package or 123 for resident or senior rate etc.

In other words some guarantees are standard rate.

That would seem likely based on my experience as in my case I received an almost free upgrade.

Congrats on the special occasion, and on the room. It's a really nice cabin, with a great view.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu9vWt

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have the S1 on the same deck on the other side booked on the Eclipse in 2016.

Was the Window Washer equipment an issue for you. MI understanding it is just the post and it does not affect the view very much on the side. I did not see it in your pictures. Thank you for the great pictures.

OP, congratulations on your S1 corner aft assignment. It will make your honeymoon even more special.

Edited by jagoffee

That would seem likely based on my experience as in my case I received an almost free upgrade.

I have the S1 on the same deck on the other side booked on the Eclipse in 2016.

Was the Window Washer equipment an issue for you. MI understanding it is just the post and it does not affect the view very much on the side. I did not see it in your pictures. Thank you for the great pictures.

OP, congratulations on your S1 corner aft assignment. It will make your honeymoon even more special.

It only obstructures a little. I would not book deck 10 on anything but Reflection. Deck 11 first, then 9 or 7, than 8 and 6. Deck 12 is under public space so not our preference.

genericEQaft-vi.jpg

Happy sailing,

Jenna