Haven Suite Prices - Are these prices crazy?

southt00

Is it just me or are the haven suite prices on the Breakaway, Getaway or Epic out of control for February and March? We have always purchased suites for our family but they are now priced outside of our healthy-sized budget. Is there something I am missing? Help me figure this out.

We booked at the end of July during KSF. Prices are up well over $1000 from what we paid. Last year we didn't book until October for MLK week in January and paid around $2500 each. Prices are definitely up and not just on Haven cabins. I've been looking at balcony prices for family members and they are higher as well.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Even before the AI and before the 10% sale, prices for next year were very high. They were high this past August so much so that we went on DCL instead in a similar room for close to the same cost leaving the same day for the same port stops except for the private island on DCL.

I think all are discovering that it might be a good time to explore other lines .

It is a common mistake that many discover sooner or later that it is more expensive to chase after premium or luxury experiences on a well grounded mass market line Its akin to staying at a Motel 6 and wanting to pay for a ritz carlton room at the motel 6 property....

Many massmarket lines highest profit is from selling elite sounding cabins and they see the sky the limit....

I found this out many years ago, when I thought about moving up and compared my wants to what was being offered on line A to what I could get on a true luxury line...

The results were shocking and I found out that for about the same or even less, everything considered, It was a far better value to change ship lines rather than cabins..... Traveling on a ship with 800 with all inclusive liquor and meals, tipping and Rt air.... is very very different than being on a ship of 3000+ where almost everything is cost +

Its your money.. if your seeking Mercedes quality your not going to get it with a chevy no matter how much you add to it......

Look beyond your comfort zone it was a revelation to me and a cost savings in the long run

What it shows me is they are setting prices to see what sticks and what does not. If they stay filled, the prices will just go higher and higher. Their Haven prices are way out of my league, but the older, smaller ships suites are still within reach for me, although not "Haven" suites.

As you can see on my sig line, I am not married to any line and jump cruise lines to meet my needs and desires....

Our 2-BR suite on the Dawn is also up $3000 from when we booked it. I'm not sure where all of this demand is coming from...

No demand on mine yet, only 3 (including mine) out of the 12 H6's are booked. 9 available as of now.

Looks to me they try to get rid of the smaller balcony's first as whats gone is

9th floor (mine)

10th floor (1)

11th floor (1)

I think all are discovering that it might be a good time to explore other lines .

It is a common mistake that many discover sooner or later that it is more expensive to chase after premium or luxury experiences on a well grounded mass market line Its akin to staying at a Motel 6 and wanting to pay for a ritz carlton room at the motel 6 property....

Many massmarket lines highest profit is from selling elite sounding cabins and they see the sky the limit....

I found this out many years ago, when I thought about moving up and compared my wants to what was being offered on line A to what I could get on a true luxury line...

The results were shocking and I found out that for about the same or even less, everything considered, It was a far better value to change ship lines rather than cabins..... Traveling on a ship with 800 with all inclusive liquor and meals, tipping and Rt air.... is very very different than being on a ship of 3000+ where almost everything is cost +

Its your money.. if your seeking Mercedes quality your not going to get it with a chevy no matter how much you add to it......

Look beyond your comfort zone it was a revelation to me and a cost savings in the long run

While we have just started looking at some of the premium lines, I can say when we went on Paul Gauguin in 2012 to French Polynesia for 11 nights, the price at first seems really high. However, after you peel away the included airfare cost, included gratuities, day room before and after trip, transfers, included drinks it is actually pretty reasonable and you get to go on a ship with just over 300 people to one of the best spots in the world. The only unreasonable part is they don't have any rooms for 4 so our kids were both full price but they had their own room next door and that worked out nice for everyone.

While we have just started looking at some of the premium lines, I can say when we went on Paul Gauguin in 2012 to French Polynesia for 11 nights, the price at first seems really high. However, after you peel away the included airfare cost, included gratuities, day room before and after trip, transfers, included drinks it is actually pretty reasonable and you get to go on a ship with just over 300 people to one of the best spots in the world. The only unreasonable part is they don't have any rooms for 4 so our kids were both full price but they had their own room next door and that worked out nice for everyone.

Also, it's highly doubtful that the premium type of line has an extensive kids program that will appeal to my 8 and 6 year old kids. A ship with 300 sounds really awesome for mom and dad, but much less so for them. So, for the time being, we'll look at the mass market lines as they actually have what we need.

But, I will concede that you make an excellent point and, when the kids have moved out of the house, we'll definitely consider other lines.

@Hawaiidan: fair enough, points well made.

What I would say is that, for me, I've decided I prefer not to dress up while aboard. If other people want to, I think that's great; not dressing up is just my own preference.

Most of the luxury lines don't embrace the Freestyle concept, so I've excluded myself from considering them.

And just to be a PITA, I would put a Corvette up against a fair number of Mercedes, at least for my tastes... :)

We have completed 7 cruises, 5 on Princess and the last on Norwegian Gem in the Haven suite. Also have a 2 bedroom Haven booked in March on the Jewel. Both were within a $100 of Princess Suite. Now the suites and Haven suites are totally out of control for my next cruise Dec 2015 to Panama Canal. The premium suite on Coral Princess is $6,218 and the Haven was $8,649 before the sale, now it's $10,208. Guess I will be returning to Princess. Haven was nice while it lasted, but like someone said,if people are stupid enough to pay those prices they will continue. The suite is just as nice and same size on Princess, so you are paying for the courtyard of the Haven. A $1000 more I would consider, $2,400 more no way, $4,000 more is crazy.

@Hawaiidan: fair enough, points well made.

What I would say is that, for me, I've decided I prefer not to dress up while aboard. If other people want to, I think that's great; not dressing up is just my own preference.

Most of the luxury lines don't embrace the Freestyle concept, so I've excluded myself from considering them.

And just to be a PITA, I would put a Corvette up against a fair number of Mercedes, at least for my tastes... :)

Both Regent and Oceania are open seating in mdr. Dress code is country club casual.

No formal nights unless you choose a long cruise of 21 days or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, it's highly doubtful that the premium type of line has an extensive kids program that will appeal to my 8 and 6 year old kids. A ship with 300 sounds really awesome for mom and dad, but much less so for them. So, for the time being, we'll look at the mass market lines as they actually have what we need.

But, I will concede that you make an excellent point and, when the kids have moved out of the house, we'll definitely consider other lines.

Actually on PG you would be surprised. They offer periodic sailings with a program called "Ambassadors of the Environment Youth Program". They used to offer it all summer sailings and holiday sailings. It is a program created by Jean Micheal Cousteau. They have two young environmentalists who lead activities on land, in the ocean, and on the ship. PG did not offer the program this summer (or next as I recall) but is on the 2014 holiday sailings (for free). Kids have to be 9-17 although on our sailing there was an 8 year old who went. Parents could go on many of the excursions either free or for nominal fee.

In addition to learning more in those 11 days than they learn in school for a month, they had a fabulous time and we are waiting to see if the program will be offered in 2016 during the summer. I think our kids would still have a great time without the program but yes, I agree that some kids would struggle to find things to do on a ship with basically not much else geared towards them.

BTW - PG is having a webinar tonight on some of their longer trips.

OMG :eek:

I was making a payment on my cruise and decided to do a mock booking to see what the current price would be. The cruise doubled in price :eek:

I booked a forward penthouse for $2100 per person. It is currently $4069 per person.

Most suites are sold out for the cruise but I guess NCL thinks people with lots of money will want a suite and will pay these prices. If the prices stay like this....it will definitely be our last suite :eek:

When I originally booked, you could have gotten an owners suite for the price of the forward penthouse (today) that is not even located in the Haven.

Edited by david_sobe

OMG :eek:

I was making a payment on my cruise and decided to do a mock booking to see what the current price would be. The cruise doubled in price :eek:

I booked a forward penthouse for $2100 per person. It is currently $4069 per person.

Most suites are sold out for the cruise but I guess NCL thinks people with lots of money will want a suite and will pay these prices. If the prices stay like this....it will definitely be our last suite :eek:

When I originally booked, you could have gotten an owners suite for the price of the forward penthouse (today) that is not even located in the Haven.

Yeah David, I'm with you. I did a post or two on the posters that say wait for the lower prices. My cruise is up $2000-3000 from what I paid. DOS is what the GV was when I booked. We have never booked (at least a year early) that the prices didn't make a huge jump up before sailing.