In dollars, what is the value of an upgrade from Balcony to Mini-suite?

goldesq

If Princess called you and said, on your upcoming cruise, we will upgrade you to a mini-suite from your balcony room for $XYZ, what would you be willing to pay to upgrade for two people?

Also, if you were deciding on a room initially, what would you be willing to pay extra for the jump from a balcony to a mini for 2 people?

To some they may sound like similar questions but I dont think they are.....

It depends on the itinerary and the location of the cabins. I turned down an upgrade from a balcony to a mini for a very small amount as we were booked into C752 on Grand Princess and we wanted that specific cabin.

I don't think there is any pat answer to your question. For many people the answer "it depends" is probably the best one you will get.

It depends on the itinerary and the location of the cabins. I turned down an upgrade from a balcony to a mini for a very small amount as we were booked into C752 on Grand Princess and we wanted that specific cabin.

I don't think there is any pat answer to your question. For many people the answer "it depends" is probably the best one you will get.

If I remember correctly, C752 is an aft balcony and I wouldnt let go of that one either.

As for itinerary, Panama Canal.

For us it would all depend on location. We were upgraded one year from a caribe mid ship balcony to a mini suite. Now the extra room & bathtub were very nice but our balcony was smaller and open to the above. Perhaps we would have liked a covered balcony more. We didn't use it as much as we would have in our larger, 1/2 open- 1/2 covered caribe balcony. It was still nice but knowing what we know now, we would have stayed in our original cabin. ymmv...

Edited by highflyingrealtor

If Princess called you and said, on your upcoming cruise, we will upgrade you to a mini-suite from your balcony room for $XYZ, what would you be willing to pay to upgrade for two people?

Also, if you were deciding on a room initially, what would you be willing to pay extra for the jump from a balcony to a mini for 2 people?

1. Way too many variables. To some who are booked in a Caribe Balcony stateroom, moving to a Mini-Suite might be viewed as a downgrade, since they would be shrinking their balcony. For someone else on Aloha Deck, the idea of getting a Mini-Suite with its larger balcony might be a positive. Still others consider the un-shaded, open balconies on Dolphin Deck to be unusable and they would not "upgrade" to a Mini-Suite no matter that cost. To others (such as myself), we travel as a family of three and DW much prefers bath tubs to showers. We need the extra room and sitting area, as well as the tub. So I would book a Mini-Suite at the outset, and if I couldn't get one, but one were later offered to me for an additional sum, I would pay almost any sum to move.

2. The two questions really are the same, mathematically. For example: Suppose you could get a Balcony for $1100 and a Mini-Suite for $1500. The $400 difference seems too great, so you opt for the Balcony. Princess then calls and offers you an upgrade for $400. If the $400 was too great before, presumably it would be too great now. Conversely, if, at the time of booking, you said to yourself: "Boy. $400 seems too much to pay. But if the difference were only $350, I would have jumped at the chance to get a Mini-Suite." So you book the Balcony. Princess then calls and offers you a Mini-Suite for an increased sum. It stands to reason that any number less than or equal to $350 should make you move. The thought process should be the same at the beginning as it is in the end. In order for the two questions to be different, as you suggest, there has to be a number that would have been unacceptable at the time of booking that later became acceptable, or vice versa. A number that was once acceptable that later became unacceptable. There is no mathematical basis for this conclusion. Only an emotional one. That is, remorse that you passed on the Mini-Suite before, but now you aren't going to let it slip away, even if the cost now would be higher than it would have been if you had booked it originally. In other words, you passed on the Mini-Suite at $1500 and regret having done so. One becomes available as an upgrade for an additional $450 and you take it. $400 was too much to pay before, but $450 is not too much to pay now. Emotions can work that way. But logic cannot.

I can tell you exactly what the difference was for me. We are booked on a 7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Crown Princess in November. My parents are paying for the cruise for the whole family and they got balcony rooms for all of us. We wanted to upgrade to the mini suite for more space, so we are paying my parents for the difference in the cabin cost. For the 4 of us (2 adults & 2 children) our price increase was $952 and for my Sister & her Husband (2 adults) it was $440. I hope that helps! Just realized that my increase was more than double of my sister's increase, not really sure why it worked out that way, but at least you have a ball park figure for a 7 day cruise.

I can tell you exactly what the difference was for me. We are booked on a 7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Crown Princess in November. My parents are paying for the cruise for the whole family and they got balcony rooms for all of us. We wanted to upgrade to the mini suite for more space, so we are paying my parents for the difference in the cabin cost. For the 4 of us (2 adults & 2 children) our price increase was $952 and for my Sister & her Husband (2 adults) it was $440. I hope that helps! Just realized that my increase was more than double of my sister's increase, not really sure why it worked out that way, but at least you have a ball park figure for a 7 day cruise.

Also, we picked our own room each time so location wasn't a factor. Both in the middle of the ship, we are now on the Dolphin deck.

Not having a shower curtain stick to your A*S=...........Priceless

Minis for us.

Tim

Not having a shower curtain stick to your A*S=...........Priceless

Minis for us.

Tim

Tim, My thoughts exactly. When we first got an upgrade offer from balcony to mini-suite my partner said "I'm not going to pay $600 extra just for a bathtub." Well, you can think of it that way - but we have not booked anything less than a mini-suite (unless it's my favorite HAL Deck 5 aft balcony) since then.