How Good Is RCCL Insurance??

I have never used Rccl Ins. Always used other but am wondering how good Rccl is. Can anyone tell me if it also covers airlines if I book with them and is it just for cancelling or medical too.

Does not cover pre-exiting conditions. If you need to have a pre-exiting waiver than you need to purchase other insurance. Most insurance companies require you to purchase the policy with in 10-14 days ( varies by company policy) from the initial booking date .

You can compare polices on the following websites:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

http://www.squaremouth.com

http://www.quotewright.com

I always take it but have never had to use it, Thank God. I had a friend who's wife had to have her appendix removed while on an Alaska trip. I believe it was done in Juneau, of course they had to leave the cruise or should I say the cruise had to leave them. After surgery they were flown back to Trinidad. He told me taking that insurance was one of the best decisions he has ever made.

Few years ago I got sick just before the cruise - so I had to cancel. I did have the Cruise Care ( Berkely was the insurace that issued the package).

I was reimbused all of my money.

I do have the Cruise Care again on a cruise in dec.

Does not cover pre-exiting conditions. If you need to have a pre-exiting waiver than you need to purchase other insurance. Most insurance companies require you to purchase the policy with in 10-14 days ( varies by company policy) from the initial booking date .

You can compare polices on the following websites:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

http://www.squaremouth.com

http://www.quotewright.com

Live near Berkley headquarters. Checked with them in person. Was told to purchase upon deposit...paying for it then, thus covering pre-existing conditions. IF not done and should pay at final and have to cancel and have pre-existing, THEN cruise fees and taxes returned on card. Fully. Actual cruise cost...given 75% voucher good gor one year. ALL cruise lines use same headquarters ...different names, same place, in essence, same company. Vicki

Live near Berkley headquarters. Checked with them in person. Was told to purchase upon deposit...paying for it then, thus covering pre-existing conditions. IF not done and should pay at final and have to cancel and have pre-existing, THEN cruise fees and taxes returned on card. Fully. Actual cruise cost...given 75% voucher good gor one year. ALL cruise lines use same headquarters ...different names, same place, in essence, same company. Vicki

Thanks for the info. I always buy the insurance through the cruise line. We've had to use it once, when my daughter got seriously ill while on a Carnival cruise. It was the same company...Berkley. They treated us very well. Hospital and flight back to Texas all covered. Plus we got a check for the days we missed. :)

Oh I forgot a big question that I didn't see answered. This may be a transatlantic that ends in Europe. Would private insurance be available to start at onset of cruise and carry over to land trip in Europe as well and plane trip home. It looks like RCCL insurance ends when we get off ship in Europe. ty

does not cover pre existing per contract no matter when purchased

Oh I forgot a big question that I didn't see answered. This may be a transatlantic that ends in Europe. Would private insurance be available to start at onset of cruise and carry over to land trip in Europe as well and plane trip home. It looks like RCCL insurance ends when we get off ship in Europe. ty

only your ins company can tell you that. Not someone here

You're on your own as far as Royal's insurance goes after you leave the ship unless it's a Royal ground tour

Royal and Celebrity are changing their insurance.

Depending on when you booked and when you are sailing, they may or may not include trip interruption, which I feel is an important component. Also, they used to cover independent air fare. Check their website for the dates, and the changes.

does not cover pre existing per contract no matter when purchased

I think what Vickila might have meant was that if you pay for the insurance at the time you book the cruise (say a year out) and then have something happen a few weeks before final payment but decide to gamble on being able to go, that "something" would be covered because you've already purchased the coverage.

A real life example: a friend of mine booked a cruise and had surgery a few weeks before final payment. She had added, but had not paid for, Cruise Care. There were complications so she had to decide whether to go ahead and make final payment. I called Berkley and the rep said that, because the complications occurred within 60 days of final payment (and purchase of Cruise Care), they would be consider pre-existing and she would only get the 75% credit.

As for the original question, I think that Cruise Care can make sense for an older individual because the independent policies get more expensive as you age - the cost of Cruise Care only depends on how much you paid for your trip. We have worldwide medical coverage with our private insurance, but have purchased an independent annual policy because I have a 93-year old father who is hale and hearty but still 93. We don't have the cancel for any reason coverage, but have self-insured enough cruises by now that we have covered the cost of all but the most expensive voyage we will likely be taking during the last quarter of our lives.

But it's always good to compare.

I am an attorney and I had a 2 day trial scheduled in federal court a month before my cruise. A tropical storm closed the court and my trial was reset, but the federal judge for the week of my cruise. I filed a Motion explaining the cost and the judge denied my motion and the insurance was useless.

I was required by a judge to be in a federal court due to a natural disaster forcing rescheduling of a trial and that was not covered. IMO this insurance is a waste of money.

I think what Vickila might have meant was that if you pay for the insurance at the time you book the cruise (say a year out) and then have something happen a few weeks before final payment but decide to gamble on being able to go, that "something" would be covered because you've already purchased the coverage.

A real life example: a friend of mine booked a cruise and had surgery a few weeks before final payment. She had added, but had not paid for, Cruise Care. There were complications so she had to decide whether to go ahead and make final payment. I called Berkley and the rep said that, because the complications occurred within 60 days of final payment (and purchase of Cruise Care), they would be consider pre-existing and she would only get the 75% credit.

As for the original question, I think that Cruise Care can make sense for an older individual because the independent policies get more expensive as you age - the cost of Cruise Care only depends on how much you paid for your trip. We have worldwide medical coverage with our private insurance, but have purchased an independent annual policy because I have a 93-year old father who is hale and hearty but still 93. We don't have the cancel for any reason coverage, but have self-insured enough cruises by now that we have covered the cost of all but the most expensive voyage we will likely be taking during the last quarter of our lives.

But it's always good to compare.

does anyone ever do that. All the reps ask you is if you want cruise care, not do you want to pay for it now

I have recently taken out a yearly travel guard policy after finding that Medicare does not cover anything outside of the USA. it would be a loss if I had to cancel a cruise or such but I can handle that. I can't afford a large medical bill. Also had to make sure that I have medical on my auto policy as Medicare does not cover medical expenses caused by a auto accident. The travel policy covers and provides a lot of other benefits besides medical and is cheaper than what the cruise line charges. It is $259 pp for a year.

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

I have recently taken out a yearly travel guard policy after finding that Medicare does not cover anything outside of the USA. it would be a loss if I had to cancel a cruise or such but I can handle that. I can't afford a large medical bill. Also had to make sure that I have medical on my auto policy as Medicare does not cover medical expenses caused by a auto accident. The travel policy covers and provides a lot of other benefits besides medical and is cheaper than what the cruise line charges. It is $259 pp for a year.

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

TY for this interesting info. Amazing what you learn on these boards. Now if I take this travel guard policy will it cover me for the cruise and any time I spend in Europe after transatlantic cruise? tyvm

We are purchasing insurance today from Nationwide. Everything looks very good and the price is right in line. Last year we watched a helicopter take a person off of the pier. Nationwide has a 1,000,000. dollar coverage for that. Cruisecare was 25k if I recall. I really do not think 25k will even get the ball rolling for something like this. Knew of a couple last year where the wife had to get lifted out. They had to come up with 10k just to get the ball rolling. I never did hear a final cost. To me 25k is not enough.

We are purchasing insurance today from Nationwide. Everything looks very good and the price is right in line. Last year we watched a helicopter take a person off of the pier. Nationwide has a 1,000,000. dollar coverage for that. Cruisecare was 25k if I recall. I really do not think 25k will even get the ball rolling for something like this. Knew of a couple last year where the wife had to get lifted out. They had to come up with 10k just to get the ball rolling. I never did hear a final cost. To me 25k is not enough.

When my daughter was ill, the cruise insurance covered both of us for the flight back to Houston from Mexico on a medical lear jet out of Florida. We didn't have to pay a dime. :)