Denial of Boarding

Griller

[quote name='caribill']This gives a new answer to those who want to cancel at the last moment but did not purchase insurance. Just say they have been in close contact with someone who works in a lab where they handle blood samples that might contain Ebola.

(On the other hand, based on the questionnaire wording, it looks like people who work in labs who handle blood samples or anyone that lives with them or has contact with them can no longer take a cruise, ever.)[/QUOTE]

But to cancel, you need to be there at time for boarding, I'm sure they would require that

If they deny anyone without insurance, you get credit for it anyhow, if not I'm sure a cc company would surely refund the amount due to services not rendered.

[quote name='Pam in CA']My opinion(s):

First, Princess already has the technology to quickly and easily scan for a temperature every time your cruise card is checked as you embark or disembark the ship. They do it in Japan and it's not an invasion of your privacy. IMHO, this is probably the best way to check and the first thing they should implement and would prevent a heck of a lot of illness on the ship.

[/quote]

Duncan showed no symptoms (and thus no elevated temperature) when he entered the USA.

Thus, any passenger who has been really exposed to Ebola but does not show symptoms will pass the temperature check.

The lab supervisor on the Carnival ship had no symptoms even after 19 days and still the ship was not allowed to go to Cozumel.

[quote name='caribill']This gives a new answer to those who want to cancel at the last moment but did not purchase insurance. Just say they have been in close contact with someone who works in a lab where they handle blood samples that might contain Ebola.

(On the other hand, based on the questionnaire wording, it looks like people who work in labs who handle blood samples or anyone that lives with them or has contact with them can no longer take a cruise, ever.)[/quote]

Your last comment had occured to me as I work in a laboratory and although we cannot knowingly handle certain categories of blood samples, often at the time they are taken, their status is not known. This would also include samples other than blood.

They had to send something out so I commend them. It is a start...not a complete halt to contagions, but a start. At least they are trying and yes, people will most likely lie but what else can they do, really? It is to get people thinking about canceling ahead of time if not feeling well. The part about the criminal charges is totally appropriate. I agree that Princess or any other cruise line should not be held responsible for the irresponsible behavior of a few passengers...so this is an out for them.

Just of note, hot flashes actually cause a raised temperature (in what would be considered a febrile range) and Tylenol can lower a fever temporarily, so don't know if temp taking would actually do much better than the form.

[quote name='Homosassa']
And because the passenger manifest needs to be provided to Homeland Security 48 hours before sailing, I imagine travel history can be pulled up by passport number.[/quote]

Travel history available to Homeland Security may show when you left the country and when you returned, but I doubt it will show every country you visited on a trip. And TSA certainly will not have that type of information for Canadians, French, Japanese and others who are not using US passports.

[quote name='goose30']What countries stamp passports these days?[/QUOTE]

I have been to many countries; none have ever stamped my passport. I remember asking for a stamp once at the border to Canada, but the officer was unable to locate a stamper (he did actually look for one, though)! Edited by Ryndam2002

[quote name='goose30']What countries stamp passports these days?[/quote]

Based on my 4 year old passport:
Any EU country on first entry to EU and on exiting the EU
Peru
Thailand
Singapore
South Africa
Australia
USA (entry only), but not on my most recent return
Botswana
Chile
Cambodia
Indonesia
Canada
India
Zimbabwe
UAE
Zambia
Jordan
Egypt
Viet Nam

[quote name='goose30']What countries stamp passports these days?[/QUOTE]

When you fly into most countries, they stamp the passport. I had to add pages because there was no room for any more stamps. They don't stamp much on cruises unless you actually have to go through immigration on the pier.

[quote name='BassettMom']I've now received 5 "Emergency Notification" emails regarding the health screening for my upcoming cruise on the Golden. And why title it "Emergency" why not just "Important"? Geez, enough already--I read the first one...and the second...and the third....[/QUOTE]

Princess does get nutty with the "Emergency!!!!!" notifications.

[quote name='caribill']Travel history available to Homeland Security may show when you left the country and when you returned, but I doubt it will show every country you visited on a trip. And TSA certainly will not have that type of information for Canadians, French, Japanese and others who are not using US passports.[/QUOTE]

When the ships turn over the information to Homeland Security they know exactly what countries you are visiting.

The US and Canada share information. That is why you can be denied boarding for a cruise that stops in Canada if you have a DUI or other criminal conviction. Not only do they share the immigration database, but they share the National Crime Information Database.

Heck even when I enter Mexico by air and the immigration officer puts my passport on the scanner he gets to see all the information about my travel history. The last time the guy joked that I should just move there considering how many times I have been there.

[quote name='DebJ14']When the ships turn over the information to Homeland Security they know exactly what countries you are visiting.[/quote]Homeland Security may know a lot about all of us, but Princess cannot just call them up and say, hey can we have access to your database? And the cruise lines can't submit their own criteria and ask Homeland Security to screen tens of thousands of passengers for them every day, either.
[quote name='DebJ14']
The US and Canada share information.[/quote]And how does this help if someone checks in with a Chinese or Russian passport?
[quote name='DebJ14']Heck even when I enter Mexico by air and the immigration officer puts my passport on the scanner he gets to see all the information about my travel history.[/quote]He gets to see information about your past trips [I]to Mexico[/I] but he does not have access to your full travel history.

[quote name='whitecap'][SIZE="3"]I have never traveled overseas with a passport so maybe someone who has can verify this but I believe that to enter the US from another country (the exception being a cruise departing and returning to the US) must show a passport/visa and an exit stamp from the country the person traveled from. I certainly will stand corrected if anyone knows from experience.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

They do not always 'stamp' them.

So far I have received two emails from Princess. After reading this string, I am feeling deprived! Where are the rest of my emails from Princess?

The lab tech on the Magic had here blood drawn yesterday and flown to the medical center in Galveston (UT Medical School) and it tested negative before the ship landed in Galveston. The really downside of all this is the mass hysteria that it is producing. There will be those who will use the hysteria to make money by distributing lies and half truths as always (remember the year 2000 lies). As for any passport checks in the USA how many of its citizens have traveled to Cuba under the radar and not been caught. The frontier of the three African nations are for the most part unguarded so that it would be easy to slip in and out without any authority knowing.

[quote name='pablo222']Just one more thing for people to lie about on the health survey...[/quote]

Exactly what I thought. Mr. Duncan lied on his health questionnaire and he brought it to America. Why would anyone make it to the ship, planned for months, paid lots of money to be there only to answer the questionnaire truthfully. I'd be willing to bet not anyone would answer the questionnaire truthfully. Two cabins down from us on our last cruise, on day 2 of the cruise the infirmary was wheeling a woman out of her cabin with her husband behind her. We talked to the husband and he said she got on board sick.:eek: Also, if you catch the noro on board you are confined to your cabin. How many go to the infirmary thinking they'll give you meds and you're free to go about your vacation. Wrong! I've seen security guards outside cabins making sure you don't leave your cabin.

[quote name='whitecap'][SIZE="3"]I have never traveled overseas with a passport so maybe someone who has can verify this but I believe that to enter the US from another country (the exception being a cruise departing and returning to the US) must show a passport/visa and an exit stamp from the country the person traveled from. I certainly will stand corrected if anyone knows from experience.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

The only time I did not have to carry a passport was when traveling on official orders to a country that did not have a visa requirement. I carried my blue passport anyway. When I traveled to a country requiring a visa, I carried orders and my red passport. When cruising, I always carry a passport.

[quote name='whitecap']Pam, thank you so much for posting that. I agree with you it is a "CYA" thing. What I did notice at the bottom was the warning that it is a violation of US Code, a criminal offense, to falsify or misrepresent your answers. Don't recall ever seeing that statement before. Again, thanks![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The old form only said that you certify that the above information is true and correct and that any dishonest answers may have serious public health implications. [/FONT]

[quote name='whitecap']What I did notice at the bottom was the warning that it is a violation of US Code, a criminal offense, to falsify or misrepresent your answers.
[/QUOTE]

This is why no on ever duplicated video tapes in the US.
It was a violation of US code...

[quote name='pablo222']This is why no on ever duplicated video tapes in the US.
It was a violation of US code...[/QUOTE] Or removed the tags from their mattresses.:D That's really not true, anyway. It's only the retailer who cannot remove it, not the customer. Edited by cruise pup

[quote name='Essiesmom'][COLOR="DarkRed"]

What countries stamp passports these days?[/COLOR]

I believe everyone does when you fly in, unless you are flying from one Schengen country to another.
EM[/QUOTE]

I always have to ask them to stamp my children's passports because they often don't do it anymore. US never stamps, I don't know why. The exception is they always seem to stamp when we fly to the caribbean:)

We all live in a dangerous world. Everyone of us are going to die of something. Let's try to maintain prospective. Over a period of 30 years, between 1976 and 2006, estimates of flu-associated deaths in the United States range from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people. Get your flu shot.
Failure to prohibit entry of individuals into this country from CDC Level 3 Travel Warning nations is the definition of incompetent governance. The mechanism for tracking the movements of individuals worldwide are already in place. We do live in a post 911 world after all.
The health disclosure form, in my opinion, is prudent but far from full proof. I recently took my Labrador retriever into Canada and was required to provide proof of health signed by a licensed veterinarian. Perhaps proof of health certifications for cruises may be in our collective future.
Get your vaccinations, wash your hands often and thoroughly, don't over indulge in alcohol, and most of all, enjoy your vacation. Life is too short to live in fear.

[quote name='PrevailingConditions']
Failure to prohibit entry of individuals into this country from CDC Level 3 Travel Warning nations is the definition of incompetent governance. The mechanism for tracking the movements of individuals worldwide are already in place. We do live in a post 911 world after all.[/quote]9/11 or not, the US authorities still do not have the means to track the movements of every individual around the world in real time.

[quote name='princessfan12']I always have to ask them to stamp my children's passports because they often don't do it anymore. US never stamps, I don't know why. The exception is they always seem to stamp when we fly to the caribbean:)[/QUOTE] Interesting. I've only flown to Puerto Rico in the the Caribbean and no passport needed. I'm thinking that the passport stamp is more of a souvenir at this point.

[quote name='M4dC0w']Correct me if I am wrong, but is Puerto Rico an US territory? Therefore not requiring a passport to an US citizen?[/QUOTE]You're right. :) No need of a passport to fly to/from Puerto Rico. It's not a foreign country. Nor is St. Thomas.