Back-to-back on different ships

cbtravel1

We just booked our first back-to-back cruise :D, the first leg is on the Liberty and the second sailing is on the Independence. I have called RCCL and have linked the two cruises together. How does it work with two different ships. Is it the same terminal or a different terminal?

Thank you

To both of you, sounds like fun! Two different ships is called a "side-to-side". A true B2B is on the same ship. :)

Different terminals at Port Everglades, so you will need to find your way to Indy on the morning you disembark Liberty. The port area is not conducive to walking, so my advice is to grab a cab, give him 10 or 15 bucks and just ask him to drop you at your next ship. The reason for this is that they wait in line for their fares and since you are not leaving the compound, you really should make it worth his while. Does that make sense? :)

There was talk at one time of an inter-terminal shuttle bus for S2S passengers; not sure how that works but I think the general consensus was to ask at Guest Relations once onboard ship. They may be able to direct you from there.

Have fun!!

I, too, would like to know how this works. But I'm transfering from RCCL Independence to Celebrity Silhoutte. Hope someone can help with the answer!

Not a Problem! We have done it many times before. Depending on the location/pier, you may be able to walk from one to the other. We did it from RCI to HAL as the ships were at the same location, HAL in front RCI in back and it was a 2 minute walk. Just find out where the both are docked. If too far, get a cab, but tell them up front you will give them $10 to take you to ....ship. Normally, they will do it. However, don't ask first, as they will balk.

Maybe I'm missing something but I am not sure why they would have linked your two cruises together. The cruises are totally separate and you must go through the full check in procedure for your second cruise.

I had the same question. The same port, or even the same day, does not make it a B2B or any need for linking. Linking would only be for the same ship.

What are they linking?

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

To both of you, sounds like fun! Two different ships is called a "side-to-side". A true B2B is on the same ship. :)

I didn't know that this was called a side to side. In that case we did a side to side this Summer in Barcelona. We got off Liberty at Terminal B and on to NCL Epic at Terminal A. It was easy in Barcelona as the Terminals are very close and there are crossing lines marking out a walking route. Our only issue was leaving Liberty at the last possible moment (kicked out of the terminal at 9:30) and not booking in at Epic until about 11:00. We could have paid to stay on Liberty til later, but chose not to.

Barcelona is a very different port to Port Everglades and much easier to walk between terminal buildings, which are just 4 different buildings in a line.

As mentioned Port Everglades has many different terminals and the areas are not conducive to walking. The person who had 2 terminals side by side and could walk was fortunate.

We left Allure earlier this year and joined Silhouette. I did a lot of research, asked a lot of questions on these boards beforehand, and the best way to do it was to get a cab between the two terminals.

Some people mentioned courtesy buses which Guest Relations would know about - they hadn't heard about them. Some people mentioned taking a courtesy bus to the parking garage and then another courtesy bus from there. It all seemed like a lot of hassle.

In all honesty for the sake of $10 it was just easy to get a cab and be in the other terminal within 10 minutes Just be sure to tell the driver that's what you want to do as they will have to leave the area and rejoin the line which means they lose out on a decent fare if they put it on the meter just for a few hundred yards.

Get your stuff in the cab before you tell the cabbie where you want to go.

In 2012 we had a cab driver give us a no way answer when we asked to go from one ship to another. There was a Police officer (could have been a security guard) who came over because we were holding up the cab line. He told the driver to take us, and he did.

What irritated me was I knew to the airport was $20 with tip and I was going to give him $20 for the ride because I knew were were costing him a longer fare. Guy was a jerk until we payed him, then he was all smiles. Yes, I still gave him the $20, cheap fare for perhaps teaching him you can be nice and be rewarded.

I had the same question. The same port, or even the same day, does not make it a B2B or any need for linking. Linking would only be for the same ship.

What are they linking?

M

We did our first back to back in Feb. Really nice, they had a nice meal for us. Beat the Windjammer. Will do it again. Have never heard of a side to side and while doing two cruises (to anywhere) is better than coming home, I don't get the S2S deal either.

:)

I have another question along these lines. I am on Celebrity debarking in Miami and getting on the Allure in Ft Lauderdale the same day.

Does anyone happen to know of a transfer service from Miami port to Ft Lauderdale port? I prefer to not take a cab. I know there are ones that go from Miami port to FLL.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks

Well, it's not "official" but someone on these boards called it that once, and I and many others have adopted the term. :)

I am somebody. ;-) Coined the phrase for our Liberty/Vision cruise. I hadn't realized the phrase had a life of it's own. That's kind of cool.

I have another question along these lines. I am on Celebrity debarking in Miami and getting on the Allure in Ft Lauderdale the same day.

Does anyone happen to know of a transfer service from Miami port to Ft Lauderdale port? I prefer to not take a cab. I know there are ones that go from Miami port to FLL.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks

This link can provide all the recommendations you will need. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

In January, 2014, there was free shuttle in Port Everglades between the Liberty of the Seas and the Oasis (Celeberty too). Just ask the RCCL represenative where the shuttle is as you exit the terminal building. It's free but they will wait until every seat is full on the bus before they leave. Most passengers had transfers to the airport but they will stop at any RCCL or Celebrity ships in port that day.

Have a late breakfast, the shuttle will take about an hour to fill up, just in time to check in for your next cruise.

In January, 2014, there was free shuttle in Port Everglades between the Liberty of the Seas and the Oasis (Celeberty too). Just ask the RCCL represenative where the shuttle is as you exit the terminal building. It's free but they will wait until every seat is full on the bus before they leave. Most passengers had transfers to the airport but they will stop at any RCCL or Celebrity ships in port that day.

Have a late breakfast, the shuttle will take about an hour to fill up, just in time to check in for your next cruise.

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know.