Bad weather - what to expect

puttersolive

We are leaving on Thurs out of lauderdale for a short 4 day getaway cruise in the caribbean. Tropical storm is headed there to hit florida wed/thurs. I've always had great weather on all my cruises in the spring, this is a first for me to cruise in hurricane season in the caribbean. So, how is this handled, will the captain try and "dodge" the storms? :confused:

Couple of years ago we booked a seven nighter to Mexico out of San Pedro. There was a storm headed into the area, but we were told at muster that we were sailing south. A few hours out of San Pedro the captain announced an itinerary change, we ended up doing a modified CA Coastal. Still had a great time, just alot of people with warm weather clothes in cold weather ports.......

Where are you seeing a tropical storm? National Hurricane Center does not see anything impacting that area. EM

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

Invest 93, they are sending trackers in this afternoon to evaluate. Last night weather channel was giving it a 60% chance of developing, this morning a 50% chance. We are watching closely as we fly in on Sunday and embark on Monday for 2 weeks. We know it's hurricane season, so we are prepared for whatever happens......

We were on the Caribbean Princess in August (with GGPrincess). The captain gave us an extra day at sea to avoid Hurricane Bertha. The storm affected the Bahamas, so the port we missed was Princess Cay. It was an amazingly calm cruise considering that there was a storm just a few hundred miles away.

We have sailed with a hurricane on Dawn Princess; an Atlantic storm followed the next day by a big hurricane on Golden. Just enjoy it, we did. Of course on Golden the Staff Captain prohibited access to the Promenade for three days.

Stormy Steve

Currently the rains are over the Yucatan area and heading east.

Forecast is to be at the Bahamas by the weekend but Florida will be spared heavy rains. Area between Florida and Cuba will get heavy rains.

Yup....we are watching it, too, since we are heading to Cuba on Thursday for a week at an all-inclusive. Not expecting much sun for the first couple of days:(

puttersolive,

Here is the latest screen shot. Nothing to worry about as far as hurricanes in the Caribbean.

two_atl_0d0.png

Here is some more infomation.

two_atl_5d0.png

View 2-Day Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

(mouse over shaded areas for details; click on shaded areas or disturbance numbers to switch views)

Disturbance 2: 10% Chance of Cyclone Formation in 5 DaysAs of 8:00 am EDT Tue Oct 21 2014 ...

A large non-tropical low is located over the far eastern Atlantic

Ocean a few hundred miles south-southeast of the Azores. This system

is producing winds of gale-force and could gradually acquire some

subtropical characteristics during the next day or so while it moves

slowly westward. Upper-level winds are forecast to become less

conducive for subtropical or tropical cyclone formation by Thursday

and development after that time is not likely. Additional

information on this system can be found in High Seas Forecasts

issued by Meteo France.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.

* Formation chance through 5 days...low...10 percent.

This product is updated at approximately 2 AM, 8 AM, 2 PM, and 8 PM EDT from June 1 to November 30.

Special outlooks may be issued as conditions warrant.

Tropical Weather Outlook Text

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOKNWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL800 AM EDT TUE OCT 21 2014For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:1. Satellite images and surface observations indicate that the area of low pressure in the southern Bay of Campeche has become better defined. Although the associated showers and thunderstorms are currently not well organized, this system has the potential to become a tropical cyclone during the next day or so while it moves slowly eastward toward the western Yucatan Peninsula. Later in the week, the low is forecast to interact and possibly merge with a frontal system over the southeastern Gulf of Mexico or northwestern Caribbean Sea. An Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft is scheduled to investigate the disturbance this afternoon. Interests in the Yucatan Peninsula should monitor the progress of this system.* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent.* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percent.

Hi,

I happened to see this post as I am looking for any updates on the Royal Princess currently in New England/Canada.

About a week before embarking on their cruise, my parents/all passengers were updated that one of the Canadian ports would end earlier because the ship needed to be out of the port due to changes in the tide.

Today in Bar Harbor there was a delay in letting passengers tender due to choppy waters. The Captain could have cancelled the port all together but waited a bit to make the decision...the tour companies all cooperated.

Saint John will be cancelled all together because of weather so there will be two days spent in Halifax.

The point is, this area is probably getting the reminants of Gonzales or just crappy weather. The Captain will do his best to keep everyone and the ship out of harm's way. The itinerary might change, there might be some rough waters, the bars might run out of rum (OK...that's a reason to abandon ship!)

Just go with whatever is happening at moment. Pack a book, a jacket and some patience. You'll have a great cruise no matter where you end up!

I'd much rather be on a cruise ship moving away from the storm than sitting at home dealing with the possible effects of the storm.

Hi,

I happened to see this post as I am looking for any updates on the Royal Princess currently in New England/Canada.

About a week before embarking on their cruise, my parents/all passengers were updated that one of the Canadian ports would end earlier because the ship needed to be out of the port due to changes in the tide.

Today in Bar Harbor there was a delay in letting passengers tender due to choppy waters. The Captain could have cancelled the port all together but waited a bit to make the decision...the tour companies all cooperated.

Saint John will be cancelled all together because of weather so there will be two days spent in Halifax.

The point is, this area is probably getting the reminants of Gonzales or just crappy weather. The Captain will do his best to keep everyone and the ship out of harm's way. The itinerary might change, there might be some rough waters, the bars might run out of rum (OK...that's a reason to abandon ship!)

Just go with whatever is happening at moment. Pack a book, a jacket and some patience. You'll have a great cruise no matter where you end up!

I'd much rather be on a cruise ship moving away from the storm than sitting at home dealing with the possible effects of the storm.

I was on the Superstorm Sandy cruise out of New York and we ended up safe harbored in Boston for 6 days instead of in Bermuda for 4 and I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph (actually, I agree with them all). It was different, it was a bit stressful because I come from the Jersey Shore and that did not fare well, but still infinitely better than being home. I'm glad I saw this thread so I can plan accordingly.

Maureen

It's actually a noreaster coming through, not the hurricane..

That said, having just been there last week, I consider 2 days in Halifax a bonus over St. Johns.

Hi,

We ywere on a Thanksgiving cruise nearly 30 years ago. It was not in a hurricane, but the weather was so bad that the beaches at 2 of the stops were closed. It was rough enough that the stabilizers were out the entire time. On Thanksgiving Day at lunch it was bad enough that several of the chairs in the dining room tipped over. They were tub type chairs with arms most of the way around. Many people were pretty much trapped in them until hey stopped rolling. According to the Maitre d' they lost something like 10,000 dollars worth of china. They also had sick sacks over the rails in all of the corridors, and people were using them. It was no fun being on deck.

I have never been susceptible to seasickness, but during this particular cruise I suddenly became aware that my stomach was there and I lost most of my appetite. We also were awakened regularly by the pitching and rolling of the ship. That made for interesting dreams.

While I can't say that it was terribly enjoyable, we did manage to make the best of it and were generally satisfied. The ship departed and returned as scheduled and there was no compensation offered or expected.

Tides are predictable years in advance and they do not change.

What happened is that Princess set up the original schedule without properly checking the tide times for that day and port.

I wonder if it had something to do with the captain on our cruise saying they needed tug assistance because the channel was so narrow and the depth was less than expected...

Tides are predictable years in advance and they do not change.

What happened is that Princess set up the original schedule without properly checking the tide times for that day and port.

I was on the Superstorm Sandy cruise out of New York and we ended up safe harbored in Boston for 6 days instead of in Bermuda for 4 and I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph (actually, I agree with them all). It was different, it was a bit stressful because I come from the Jersey Shore and that did not fare well, but still infinitely better than being home. I'm glad I saw this thread so I can plan accordingly.

Maureen

We were on the same cruise, Maureen! I was going to comment that we did not know our destination (Boston) until embarkation. We were hoping for parts even further north, as we figured we would not be going to Bermuda. Nor did we know our 4-day cruise would last for 6. Our traveling companion's teenagers were safe and sound in Manhattan with grandma, though they were still concerned. But we actually had a fantastic time on that trip. Took a lot of naps! The tug boats holding the ships next to the pier during the worst of the storm was interesting to witness. We thought Princess did a great job keeping us informed and we finally got to sail into Manhattan (although it was eery sailing past lower Manhattan, which still had no power). It was hard to see the devastation on TV though. Hope you fared ok.

Ironically, we had to get into NYC a day early the year prior (because of airline shut downs) and sail a day late on Celebrity out of New Jersey because of Irene with the same traveling companions to Bermuda! :eek: We were beginning to think our combination for travel was jinxed.

We ywere on a Thanksgiving cruise nearly 30 years ago. It was not in a hurricane, but the weather was so bad that the beaches at 2 of the stops were closed. It was rough enough that the stabilizers were out the entire time. On Thanksgiving Day at lunch it was bad enough that several of the chairs in the dining room tipped over. They were tub type chairs with arms most of the way around. Many people were pretty much trapped in them until hey stopped rolling. According to the Maitre d' they lost something like 10,000 dollars worth of china. They also had sick sacks over the rails in all of the corridors, and people were using them. It was no fun being on deck.

I have never been susceptible to seasickness, but during this particular cruise I suddenly became aware that my stomach was there and I lost most of my appetite. We also were awakened regularly by the pitching and rolling of the ship. That made for interesting dreams.

While I can't say that it was terribly enjoyable, we did manage to make the best of it and were generally satisfied. The ship departed and returned as scheduled and there was no compensation offered or expected.

30 years ago cruise ships were a fraction of the size most are today. I remember the sway and list during a storm while on one of those "toy boats" back in 1984.

But in our "modern times" I can recall nothing more that the hard pounding of the hull against the waves in December 2012 on NCL Jade as we sailed overnight through a storm so bad the Captain stationed personnel at every doorway to physically prevent a passenger from attempting to go outside.

I, too, am embarking this Thursday on one of the two four-day cruises on Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale, but I'm not concerned and instead optimistic. Last month on a similar 4-day cruise, we left Port Everglades Thursday afternoon with rain so hard there was almost zero visability. Friday morning and for the duration of the cruise the weather was beautiful: meanwhile South Florida had terrible storms the entire time.

Cozumel weather forecasts showers in the AM. But that doesn't destroy the day: chances are we'll have good weather most of the day.

And if all else fails... take another trip to the bar, buffet... or both.

I wonder if it had something to do with the captain on our cruise saying they needed tug assistance because the channel was so narrow and the depth was less than expected...

Attention: "For those passengers training for the X Games, work for AAA or want a unique shore excursion, please meet at the aft to help push the ship out of the channel. The Navigation Officer will buy the first round of drinks at the Wheelhouse bar. Thank you" :D

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forums mobile app

Maureen

We were on the same cruise, Maureen! I was going to comment that we did not know our destination (Boston) until embarkation. We were hoping for parts even further north, as we figured we would not be going to Bermuda. Nor did we know our 4-day cruise would last for 6. Our traveling companion's teenagers were safe and sound in Manhattan with grandma, though they were still concerned. But we actually had a fantastic time on that trip. Took a lot of naps! The tug boats holding the ships next to the pier during the worst of the storm was interesting to witness. We thought Princess did a great job keeping us informed and we finally got to sail into Manhattan (although it was eery sailing past lower Manhattan, which still had no power). It was hard to see the devastation on TV though. Hope you fared ok.

Ironically, we had to get into NYC a day early the year prior (because of airline shut downs) and sail a day late on Celebrity out of New Jersey because of Irene with the same traveling companions to Bermuda! :eek: We were beginning to think our combination for travel was jinxed.

We were on that cruise as well. Princess and the Captain did a great job of keeping us informed. We even took their advice not to park at the pier. So we fortunately parked at JFK and took a taxi to the port. Never been to Boston so we had a terrific time. We even took the short train ride to Salem on Oct 31 since we were still 'stuck' on the ship. As you can imagine, Salem was crazy on Halloween Day. We Kept calling family to say it was like the movie "Groundhog Day" because every morning and every evening we would wait for the Captain to announce whether we were staying put in Boston or going back to NYC. Loved it and the way Princess handled it. Everyday they offered custom buses back to NYC or transfers to Logan Airport for people that wanted to leave. We did feel bad for the New Yorkers on the ship who were worried about their homes and also for the people who parked at the pier.

Anyway, my point is, we think that Princess does a good job with these types of situations.

Just our opinion. Safe Journeys. Paul

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Here's some captures from The Weather Channel website:

map_specnewsdct-90_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

As of 6AM Wednesday, Cozumel is experiencing the most severe effects of the storm, according to this image.

Looking forward...

map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_650x366.jpg

The eye of the storm should be well past Cozumel by the time we dock on Saturday.

The "Cone of Uncertainty" shows the storm traveling east. I'm a South Florida Native, and this is the graph upon which I (and probably many others,) base our fears and concerns. For those not familiar with this, a couple of words of caution.... first, the CENTER of the storm is projected to fall ANYWHERE within that shaded cone; the storm extends out from the center for many, many miles (I can't readily find how wide this one is) so just because the projected course of our sailing is north of the cone DOES NOT mean we are free and clear of the storm. In fact, I can tell you that our weather in South Florida has been impacted by this storm already. It's been overcast and rainy. Second, it's all subject to change and updates. The good new is that other weather factors indicate that it will probably weaken, but there still will be rain and cloudy weather.

Most likely we'll have a rainy day at sea on Friday. The Cozumel forecast has been updated since I posted yesterday from "Morning Showers" to "Mostly Cloudy."

All the talk about altering a ship's course to "go around" a storm, unfortunately wouldn't apply to our trip because Cuba's location limits options: were the storm projected to be in our typically intended navigational course, I don't think they could have/would have sailed around Cuba to the east to get to Cozumel; my guess is that would take too long to do. So I'm personally relieved that --at least for now-- our projected navigational path does not intersect with the storm's projected path.

All this being said.... it's upto the Captain and Princess to decide where they think it's safe to take us.

Hope this helps.

For those on here that love to nit-pick: move on and save it. While I'm not professionally trained as a meteorologist. I'm certain that the information I've provided is accurate enough in laymen's terms to convey a realistic picture.... based upon living through 30+ hurricane seasons in South Florida as an adult.