Embarkation day lunch. MDR

N00B

How is the ouch on embarkation day in the MDR?

My only recent cruise was with Princess. The lunch menu on embarkation day in the MDR was probably the best lunch menu of the entire cruise. I was so glad we got on early, in time to sit down and enjoy it.

This cruis is obviously on Carmival. This time we are travelling with a baby and all that means. I was not able to get us FTTF on this cruise and I understand our rooms are unlikely to be ready to hen we get on board. All the waiting in the port and schlepping our myriad of belongings around deck makes me seriously consider arriving later to hopefully avoid a lot of it. But seriously the first day lunch was so good that I would feel bad to miss it if Carmival is the same. So. Please tell me. Was the embarkation day lunch menu special?

My only recent cruise was with Princess. The lunch menu on embarkation day in the MDR was probably the best lunch menu of the entire cruise. I was so glad we got on early, in time to sit down and enjoy it.

This cruis is obviously on Carmival. This time we are travelling with a baby and all that means. I was not able to get us FTTF on this cruise and I understand our rooms are unlikely to be ready to hen we get on board. All the waiting in the port and schlepping our myriad of belongings around deck makes me seriously consider arriving later to hopefully avoid a lot of it. But seriously the first day lunch was so good that I would feel bad to miss it if Carmival is the same. So. Please tell me. Was the embarkation day lunch menu special?

I do not believe that Dining Room will be open. You will have to eat at the Lido deck

As far as I know, Lunch is not served in the MDR on Embarkation day

#1-when is your cruise-keep checking for FTTF if not in the next two weeks, and I mean hourly.

#2-I wish they did, but they don't serve lunch in the MDR. Wouldn't that be either a great past guest perk? or part of a FTTF package, or the old farts quiet time? I mean, you will get on the ship, hungry, fight a crowd, tote your stuff, and carry the baby. OR you could wait until 2 have your lunch somewhere else, and then walk on, walk to your cabin, change the baby's diapers, sit, relax and go to muster drill.

#3 keep checking for FTTF.

Our first time on Carnival we were boarding after an on shore wedding, we were not hungry, we just grabbed a soda, a cheese burger once the crowd died down, and watched the seagulls and the dolphins. With our camera bags, our carry ons, my back pack, my DH's back pack, what a zoo!

The second time we boarded, we were hungry, the lido deck was mobbed and the only way to get a table for 4 was to sit and glare at people who were done, and make them feel self-conscious enough to move-it was out of Tampa in the winter, rainy and around 38 degrees, no one wanted to be outside.

#4 Keep checking for FTTF

The offshore brunch idea is probably the best option, especially with a young one. It goes against the idea of 'you paid for the food, you should be able to eat the second you arrive'. However, as others have said, the Lido is really the only dining venue that is open during embarkation, and it is a madhouse.

Generally, if you board the ship after 1:30, you should be able to drop off your carry-on items in your cabin. Most of the dining options are open until 2:30-3:00. The pizza station is open 24 hours.

There is one relatively peaceful option, though. Check to see if your ship has a Fish & Chips station. On our last Liberty cruise, it was located on deck 10 aft. It is 'out of the way', simply because no elevators go to it. (The aft elevators stop at deck 9 Lido.) Since it is hard to access, not many people end up there. The food is quite good, however, the courses all have seafood in them. I thought it was better than most of the items on the regular Lido buffet.

Actually, I have had lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day,,,but only once. I was told that they opted to serve lunch there, because the ship was SOLD OUT, and a BIG GROUP of people were scheduled to board all at once, so they felt that the Lido Deck Buffet would be over crowded. I'd never seen that done before, or since? Bottom line,,,don't count on lunch in the main dining room, on embarkation day. ;)

"SKY"

The offshore brunch idea is probably the best option, especially with a young one. It goes against the idea of 'you paid for the food, you should be able to eat the second you arrive'. However, as others have said, the Lido is really the only dining venue that is open during embarkation, and it is a madhouse.

Generally, if you board the ship after 1:30, you should be able to drop off your carry-on items in your cabin. Most of the dining options are open until 2:30-3:00. The pizza station is open 24 hours.

There is one relatively peaceful option, though. Check to see if your ship has a Fish & Chips station. On our last Liberty cruise, it was located on deck 10 aft. It is 'out of the way', simply because no elevators go to it. (The aft elevators stop at deck 9 Lido.) Since it is hard to access, not many people end up there. The food is quite good, however, the courses all have seafood in them. I thought it was better than most of the items on the regular Lido buffet.

If it is the Magic, I have heard the Cucina de Capitano (Italian pasta) restuarant is open and free at lunch time on embarkation day,and they said it was quiet and hardly anyone there. You might try that.

If it is the Magic, I have heard the Cucina de Capitano (Italian pasta) restuarant is open and free at lunch time on embarkation day,and they said it was quiet and hardly anyone there. You might try that.

I was just going to suggest this. If your ship has this restaurant, not many people know about it on embarkation day (it's $15 for dinner but a "free" pasta bar at lunch time). I was just on the Magic and there was a table of 4 women and me at a separate table. That's it!

:)

We have had lunch in the MDR on embarkation day twice on the Dream. It seemed as though this does not happen on every sailing. Also on dream class ships you have the option of italian for lunch. Its a pretty quiet venue compared to the buffet. The food there was very tasty.

We also have had lunch in MDR on embarkment day but this was only once. When we got on board, they were ushering people into the MDR. We went right up to the lido and it was pretty dead. Talking to people later in the cruise, many of them had no idea there were other options so they just went to MDR. So it looks like MDR may be open, but not likely.

All the waiting in the port and schlepping our myriad of belongings around deck makes me seriously consider arriving later to hopefully avoid a lot of it. ?

consider checking in the belongings that you do not need until 4pm or so. travel with stroller and diaper bag and any essentials.

or arrival at the pier closer to 1 so you dont have to carry it for long

Thank you all for your info. It seems pretty clear that there is no special lunch in the MDR and therefore nor'easter to rush on board. We will be staying locally the night before the cruise and our hotel offers complain try breakfast. This usually holds us until about 3:00pm so we will be fine for food until things die down a bit.

I'm so glad I asked and didn't just rush inboard looking for a great lunch. FWIW the MDR lunch on Princess is a little known fact and not advertised as special in any way but if you get the chance......

Thank you all for your info. It seems pretty clear that there is no special lunch in the MDR and therefore no reason to rush on board. We will be staying locally the night before the cruise and our hotel offers complimentary breakfast. This usually holds us until about 3:00pm so we will be fine for food until things die down a bit.

I'm so glad I asked and didn't just rush onboard looking for a great lunch. FWIW the MDR lunch on Princess is a little known fact and not advertised as special in any way but if you get the chance......

I actually like embarkation lunch on lido deck. Yes, it's crowded, but it's a good time to learn the layout.

When we haven't had FTTF, typically one person watches stuff at a table and orders drinks while the other gets food. Then by the time we're done eating, the cabin is ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which ship are you sailing on?

On "Conquest Class" ships, I LOVE going up to the "Fish-n-Chips" restaurant on embarkation day. Very few people know it's up there, and the food, and service are excellent then. Great alternative. :cool:

"SKY"

That is where we head to! This time we are heading to the pasta bar. SSHH! ;)

Actually, I have had lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day,,,but only once. I was told that they opted to serve lunch there, because the ship was SOLD OUT, and a BIG GROUP of people were scheduled to board all at once, so they felt that the Lido Deck Buffet would be over crowded. I'd never seen that done before, or since? Bottom line,,,don't count on lunch in the main dining room, on embarkation day. ;)

"SKY"

Same here. It was the 2012 Magic cruise. But of the 8 cruise so far it was only the one time.

As a previous poster suggested, you might want to look for an alternative dining setting such as the Fish and Chips on Conquest Class or Italian Restaurant on Dream class ship.

Another good suggestion was just arrive later in the boarding process after a nice lunch on land.

And keep checking for FTTF. I would be nice with a little one to board and have your room ready. It will likely be nap time.

I hope all works well and you have a wonderful cruise.