Can a Canadian traveller really use a NEXUS card instead of a passport?

RickT

That does seem odd, as usually you're using nexus to clear the security area. We're all massed together at that point. It's not until you hit the boarding gate that your airline has any control.

In the US at least, the airline is part of the security line. TSA pre-check for example requires your airline to be participating and for it to be pre-printed on your boarding pass.

Acceptance of NEXUS varies widely in US ports. I just completed a B2B on the Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore. On the first leg the final port of call was Key West where Immigration officers said "of course that's ok", while on the second leg we returned to the US in Baltimore and it was refused. In both cases I used the NEXUS for my online dheckin. It appears to be getting very risky to cruise with just a NEXUS.

Roy

We were on the Reflection last month and were not able to use our Nexus card's in Miami (port) after getting off ship. Had our passports also so we were good to go. Customs officer told us it would have cost us extra money if we only had our Nexus card's to get through. Nexus cards are not recognized in ports.

DW and I are cruising in March and her passport expires in June. The last time this happened Princess cruises required her to get a new passport since the one she had also expired within 6 mths of the final date of the cruise.

While perusing the Celebrity site to see if they also had the 6 mth rule I saw the following:

"U.S. and Canadian citizens on closed-loop cruises, (voyages that begin and end at the same U.S. port) unless otherwise noted in 'Closed-Loop Sailing Exceptions' below, will be able to enter or depart the U.S. with a valid Passport, U.S. Passport Card, U. S. or Provincial Enhanced Driver's License, Trusted Traveler Program Card such as Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card."

This would lead me to believe that since we are on a closed-loop cruise (and we are not impacted by the Exceptions listed) she will be OK with her NEXUS card.

I'll call Celebrity to confirm but given the variability of their answers I thought I'd check and see if any other Canadians have been able to successfully do this (she'll also bring her passport).

Thanks in advance.

Yes.We have used our Nexus the last 2 cruises no problem. But we also have our passports you should always have both.

Recent crusing experiences using Nexus or Global Entry (same thing for US citizens) instead of a passport -

Leaving on cruise in Galveston - would not accept the card - only passport, ditto on arrival back in Galveston - November 2014

Leaving on cruise in New Orleans - passport required both ways. December 2014

Leaving on cruise in Fort Lauderdale - passport required to board by GEntry accepted on arrival in USA. March 2014

Leaving in Long Beach/LA in Msarch of 2014 - passport required for both entry and exit.

Also in alaska going to vancover in June 2104 - USA required passport to board, but canada accepted Global Entry in Vancouver - after a lot of discussion. Ugly discussion - I could not find my passport!

The issue is most agents on a ship do not have access to equipment needed to veritfy the cards. Can only look at passport to see if it is valid. This is situation on cruises starting and returning to same port.

Too late, I already submitted the applications for the NEXUS for my family of 4. :D

So glad you're on the east coast!:D

We, too notice the longer lines for Nexus going to the USA, which we do weekly. Sometimes we just change to the other lanes and we get through before the Nexus lanes. Frustrating.

It seems you can only use your Nexus card if the airport has nexus facilities. Last cruise we used it on the way into and out of Miami. Used it in Toronto (great airport) on another cruise but could not use it this time at the London Ont. airport...no nexus equipment. Had to use our passport, so I would not travel without passports up to date just in case.

"We, too notice the longer lines for Nexus going to the USA, which we do weekly. Sometimes we just change to the other lanes and we get through before the Nexus lanes. Frustrating."

wow...Nexus must be catching on...depending on the border I guess. On our way through Detroit border to Florida we're the only ones in the Nexus line...zip through and by pass longggg lines beside us.

Edited by oceangoer2

That's what we thought but apparently if the airline does not put a stamp on your boarding pass you cannot use the Goes line & we asked Westjet when checking in & they said they were not set up for it yet. Have not had a chance to check this out with Nexus yet.

I had an interesting experience with this recently, flying out of BUF on Southwest to MCO.

Before doing online checkin, I specifically called Southwest to make sure our Nexus numbers were indicated on our "profile". Tried doing it online, but I had issues and called.

Showed up at BUF - there is no global entry line. I get in line for TSA Pre-Check but I'm turned away because my boarding pass doesn't say "TSA Pre-Check".

Flying home from MCO, I was certain there was a GLOBAL ENTRY kiosk. Checked the MCO website and it says so! Beauty! Get to the airport but there is only TSA-PreCheck and the other line for all the other poor schmucks. But my boarding pass still doesn't say TSA PreCheck, so I gotta go in the poor schmuck line up.

Got home and called Southwest. Apparently, having the known traveller number on your SW profile doesn't count for anything. You need to enter your Nexus # into the spot for the KNOWN TRAVELLER# when you BOOK the travel, which I had not done.

I'll be sure to remember when I book my next flight though.

Apparently, had I called SW they could have fixed this and i could have re-printed a boarding pass that says TSA PreCheck on it. Lesson Learned.

For those flying out of YYZ - there is a Global Entry lane that you go through with your nexus card - regardless of what your boarding pass says. Wish every airport worked like this :(

I would never travel without my passport. Even using the Global Entry area at YYZ, you need to scan your passport (not your nexus card). I think the nexus card is pretty safe for car borders; but for air and sea borders, you need to travel with your passport.

First, I live a couple of miles away from the US/Cdn border and constantly go into the States. You must understand, there has to be a Nexus lane to use Nexus and not every border or airport has that. Also there are times they do ask for your Passport as well. Nexus is a vehicle to fast track you through customs because they had done an extensive search on you, but if they suspect anything at all, you will be pulled over, questioned and searched. Save yourself the aggravation and renew your Passport.

Agree...and if they suspect you and search it will be thorough. We were warned when we got our Nexus card to not let people know we had one as we may be asked to 'bring stuff back' as we could get through Customs easier than they. If they find anything at all not reported on your form, no matter how minor, you'll lose your card.

This is a neighbour's experience. They were stopped with their card for a routine check and were asked were they bringing any fruit, etc across the border...they said no....the guard asked what about the apple he saw in their car....they lost their card for 5 years and were fined. Not every guard would do that, but some are ?? (fill in the blanks).

Edited by oceangoer2

I had an interesting experience with this recently, flying out of BUF on Southwest to MCO.

Before doing online checkin, I specifically called Southwest to make sure our Nexus numbers were indicated on our "profile". Tried doing it online, but I had issues and called.

Showed up at BUF - there is no global entry line. I get in line for TSA Pre-Check but I'm turned away because my boarding pass doesn't say "TSA Pre-Check".

Flying home from MCO, I was certain there was a GLOBAL ENTRY kiosk. Checked the MCO website and it says so! Beauty! Get to the airport but there is only TSA-PreCheck and the other line for all the other poor schmucks. But my boarding pass still doesn't say TSA PreCheck, so I gotta go in the poor schmuck line up.

Got home and called Southwest. Apparently, having the known traveller number on your SW profile doesn't count for anything. You need to enter your Nexus # into the spot for the KNOWN TRAVELLER# when you BOOK the travel, which I had not done.

I'll be sure to remember when I book my next flight though.

Apparently, had I called SW they could have fixed this and i could have re-printed a boarding pass that says TSA PreCheck on it. Lesson Learned.

For those flying out of YYZ - there is a Global Entry lane that you go through with your nexus card - regardless of what your boarding pass says. Wish every airport worked like this :(

I would never travel without my passport. Even using the Global Entry area at YYZ, you need to scan your passport (not your nexus card). I think the nexus card is pretty safe for car borders; but for air and sea borders, you need to travel with your passport.

You're confusing programs. Global entry is an automated system for entering the United States where you scan your fingerprints. Precheck gives you a simplified security check when flying out of US airports. while MCO has global entry, it is of no use to you when leaving because you're already in the United States. Likewise if you leave from a preclearance airport like YYZ or YOW, you will never see the kiosks in Orlando because you'll land at a domestic gate (ie the same as if you arrived from another airport in the United States).

Your passid needs to be entered into the known traveller field to receive precheck, as you've discovered. Additionally, if you're flying an airline that participates in precheck and you notice that your boarding pass does not include precheck, you can always go to the check in counter and have them reissue the boarding pass with your nexus Passid and you should get precheck.

As for flying without your passport, don't do it. It is specifically stated in the terms and conditions that you need your passport when flying. If caught without it, you could and probably will be booted from the program.

Yes but without Global Entry, Pre-Check is all you are left with.

You are correct, I did not consider that we were on a domestic flights so it makes sense there was no Global Entry lane for that terminal.

WOW - to the person who lost their nexus card for the fruit. I've heard those stories, and I'm terrified (okay, that may be extreme) of returning to Canada through the Nexus Lane. We usually cross at Fort Erie during times when the lines are not too bad. I've heard that you need to have your "exact" number and you can't just round up and say "about 500" when you've only spent "428" (as an example). I've also heard you need to fill out the cards before and drop it off in a box, but this whole process is fuzzy to me. If you are within your duty free limit, can you just drive up to the window? Or do you need a customs card? I've heard the cards are on the internet, but what I've found asks for duty codes and doesnt' make a whole lot of sense. If someone has a link for the cards or knows if they are required, I'd appreciate the help!

Yes but without Global Entry, Pre-Check is all you are left with.

Without nexus both global entry and precheck are gone for you. But that's splitting hairs.

WOW - to the person who lost their nexus card for the fruit. I've heard those stories, and I'm terrified (okay, that may be extreme) of returning to Canada through the Nexus Lane. We usually cross at Fort Erie during times when the lines are not too bad. I've heard that you need to have your "exact" number and you can't just round up and say "about 500" when you've only spent "428" (as an example). I've also heard you need to fill out the cards before and drop it off in a box, but this whole process is fuzzy to me. If you are within your duty free limit, can you just drive up to the window? Or do you need a customs card? I've heard the cards are on the internet, but what I've found asks for duty codes and doesnt' make a whole lot of sense. If someone has a link for the cards or knows if they are required, I'd appreciate the help!

If you're travelling by car you do not need to fill out the tdc, even if you spend more than your exemption. You'd just be required to make an oral declaration (as you'd normally do) and go into the cashier's office to make payment. Likewise If you stayed within your exemption you still have to make an oral declaration but will be waved through.

As for the fruits, be very carefully when going through preclearance at major airports as you can still be pulled into secondary. And if you're found with an apple or any other fruit or nut you will mow likely be fined and booted from. Nexus and as a result will lose your global entry privileges.

It seems you can only use your Nexus card if the airport has nexus facilities. Last cruise we used it on the way into and out of Miami. Used it in Toronto (great airport) on another cruise but could not use it this time at the London Ont. airport...no nexus equipment. Had to use our passport, so I would not travel without passports up to date just in case.

Absolutely correct. Some ports have it and some do not. Just like airports. New Orleans does not have services at the port and does not use at their airport except limited hours. Going outside the US or Canada without a passport is risking a big problem. On a cruise - What in the $%%$ will you do if you get sick in a port or have an accident there. How would you fly home without a huge hassle to get the passport required to fly home from say Jamaica or the Caymans.

Without nexus both global entry and precheck are gone for you. But that's splitting hairs.

If you're travelling by car you do not need to fill out the tdc, even if you spend more than your exemption. You'd just be required to make an oral declaration (as you'd normally do) and go into the cashier's office to make payment. Likewise If you stayed within your exemption you still have to make an oral declaration but will be waved through.

As for the fruits, be very carefully when going through preclearance at major airports as you can still be pulled into secondary. And if you're found with an apple or any other fruit or nut you will mow likely be fined and booted from. Nexus and as a result will lose your global entry privileges.

Here's the link to the online travelers deceleration card. Included is the description of what falls under which category.

You can also enter the pertinent details like your name, passid, etc prior to your trip and fill in the rest by hand.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e601-eng.pdf

Thanks imedic! I will bookmark that link. but I only need the TDC then, if I am going through an unmanned bridge? I remember being told that I had to set up an account with credit card info if using that bridge.

With a normal lane, often, if I'm over my duty-free limit - say on a same day shopping trip, I spend $200 .... I will often get waived through. Does that happen through the nexus lane (at the discretion of the agent?). Also, any comment on needing the "exact" amount of purchases and not just an approximate amount. For me, when I approximate, i always go over. I mean, if the allowance is $750, and I know I spent about $400 - is it okay to say "about 500" or do you need to have the exact amount. I've heard that you need to have the exact amount to the penny. I can't see why it matters as long as you are below your limit.

That is the card, I've printed before.

If your answer is that I don't need a TDC unless passing an unmanned bridge, then I'll never worry about having/needing the card.

But I had looked at this for our last cruise, and thought all we bought was souvenir nicknacks, how do i figure out how what category applies? That's where I got confused and just went through a normal lane.

That is the card, I've printed before.

If your answer is that I don't need a TDC unless passing an unmanned bridge, then I'll never worry about having/needing the card.

But I had looked at this for our last cruise, and thought all we bought was souvenir nicknacks, how do i figure out how what category applies? That's where I got confused and just went through a normal lane.

the form only needs to be filled out if you exceeded your exemption and you wanted to use the form. If you don't want to use it you can still make just an oral declaration at the nexus booth and they'll then refer you into the cashier. The purpose of the form is to save time by giving them your credit card so they can charge taxes/duty on your purchases based on your declaration.

With nexus there are no unmanned bridges/booths. They all have CBSA agents when open. The bridge you referred to (whirpool bridge) only accepts nexus users and you can only pay the toll with your nexus card. The kiosk to activate the card is on the US side and once activated you can reload it online with a credit card.

For figuring which category, it's pretty straightforward. Even easier if you don't exceed your $800 limit as you don't have to worry about filling out that form. But if you're ever unsure just make an oral decleration and go into the cashier's office to pay.

Thanks imedic! I will bookmark that link. but I only need the TDC then, if I am going through an unmanned bridge? I remember being told that I had to set up an account with credit card info if using that bridge.

With a normal lane, often, if I'm over my duty-free limit - say on a same day shopping trip, I spend $200 .... I will often get waived through. Does that happen through the nexus lane (at the discretion of the agent?). Also, any comment on needing the "exact" amount of purchases and not just an approximate amount. For me, when I approximate, i always go over. I mean, if the allowance is $750, and I know I spent about $400 - is it okay to say "about 500" or do you need to have the exact amount. I've heard that you need to have the exact amount to the penny. I can't see why it matters as long as you are below your limit.

If you fill out the form they'll charge based on what you said you spent. So it's in your interest to be exact, unless you want to be charged more tax than you should be.

I've never just made an oral decleration when I've exceeded the limit so I can't comment on the likelihood of them just waving you through.

Hi Teabag,

On your day trip back to Canada, if you fill up the TDC for say, $50 of general merchandises, do they charge you the PST and GST automatically via your CC?

The cards which we used to fill out, that were tied to a credit card for duty, GST etc are long gone. It is now verbal. I don't know how much you can bring back on a day trip but just let me say it is a lot more than $50. ;)We do it all the time and it doesn't matter whether you are in the Nexus lane or the other ones. We used to stick to the non nexus lanes when we had merchandise and one day the agent asked us why we were not in the Nexus lane. We said because you have discretion on whether to charge duty/GST or not. He said we didn't need to do that because Nexus was the same and that was when we learned they were not using the forms any longer. We haven't paid a cent in years.

Sorry if this is off topic but I am simply answering a question posed to me. If CC had the means for us to privately email, this would be great.

Edited by TeaBag

I would never travel without my passport. Even using the Global Entry area at YYZ, you need to scan your passport (not your nexus card).

Y

You are correct, I did not consider that we were on a domestic flights so it makes sense there was no Global Entry lane for that terminal.

I think you are still confused about Global Entry. It doesn't matter whether you are boarding a domestic flight or an international one, GE is for customs clearance when you enter the US from a foreign country. So you would never need GE when boarding a plane in the US, regardless of where you are going.

As for a GE line at YYZ when headed to the US, I believe that is because at selected Canadian airports, you pre-clear US customs on the front end instead of when you land.

Now, having Global Entry DOES qualify you for TSA Pre Check when you go through security before boarding. But it's still random; even if you have your trusted traveler number in your reservation you might get randomly selected to NOT be able to go through the Pre Check line.