Which airline for SFO to London

rocklinmom

I am looking at airfare from SFO to London for our cruise next summer, and for direct flights we have the choice of British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, and United. They are all within a similar price range for five economy tickets. All have seatback TV's for entertainment, meals, and free checked bag; and all are on Boeing's (747 or 777-200). Any opinions on which airline is the best choice, and why? And for those with LHR experience, they use Terminal 5 (BA), Terminal 3 (VA) or Terminal 2 (United). Any insight is appreciated!

I've flown all three to London, and there's not much difference between them in coach. As to LHR, it's the largest shopping mall with an airport attached to it, the actual terminal is not really an issue.

Flip a coin if they are similar on price, and if going to London.

Agree. Just choose the one that has the best price/schedule and is in the alliance in which you wish to earn frequent flyer miles. If you are in economy, none of them are really much different.

Just note you can have free seat assignment at the time of booking on UA; you're going to have to pay for advance seat assignments on BA. I know nothing about VS.

Edited by 6rugrats

I would look to either British Airways(they have 2 flights a day) or Virgin Atlantic(1 flight a day). I would avoid United as the other airlines offer extras such as alcohol, better inflight entertainment and on British Airways/Virgin Atlantic a separate Premium Economy Cabin. In LHR British Airways has their won terminal. If you see the taxes are too expensive try flying into Paris and you can take the Eurostar from Charles De Gaulle Airport train station to London in about 90 minutes. I'm very familiar with Rocklin as my Grandparents lived in Grass Valley for so many years. Are you off Rocklin Rd?

Edited by travelplus

Please know that all you get on UA economy plus is extra leg room - nothing more. My home airport (IAH) has the non-stop choice to LHR of UA and BA. I've done both and if I had a choice, I'd always pick BA. However, as pointed out, in economy you must pay extra for seat reservations on BA. I'm thinking it's $35 each way, but I could be wrong. Also, you do get "included" alcohol in BA economy, but must pay in UA.

If by direct you really mean non-stop, then if you have no status with any of these airlines, I'd go with UA and buy up to economy plus seats.
Agree, plus you can pre-select seats for free with United, only for a fee on BA or VS. This might be important with 5 traveling.

... and all are on Boeing's (747 or 777-200).
Actually, one bit of good news, assuming that you're flying in early July 2015 (for a cruise sailing on 11 July 2015?): By then, BA will be flying the 380 five times a week, with the 747 on the other 9 flights each week.
If you see the taxes are too expensive try flying into Paris and you can take the Eurostar from Charles De Gaulle Airport train station to London in about 90 minutes.
In this direction, this saves you no taxes, fees or charges, and just adds cost and time to the journey.

Eurostar from Paris to London usually takes between 2¼ and 2½ hours.

Thank you all for great advice! I have a lot to mull over. United doesn't have super reviews but it would be nice to not have to pay extra to pick our seats together. Virgin also offers it free, but not until 60 days before the flight. With an eight hour time difference in London, I would worry about being able to pick seats together when they are released. Supposedly they were going to change to a pay-to-pick-seats policy like British Airways but it's been delayed until who knows when. I appreciate all of the information so far :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

With an eight hour time difference in London, I would worry about being able to pick seats together when they are released.

:confused:

You want to fly SFO-LHR. Online check in for most airlines opens 24 hours before your flight; the time your flight leaves SFO. The time in London isn't relevant.

I meant when trying to select our seats together 60 days before the flight. So for a July flight date, this would mean logging onto Virgin's website on a day in May and timing it to coincide with 8 hours ahead, London time, when the seats are released.

I meant when trying to select our seats together 60 days before the flight. So for a July flight date, this would mean logging onto Virgin's website on a day in May and timing it to coincide with 8 hours ahead, London time, when the seats are released.
Why do you think that the seats would be released on the basis of London time?

And why do you think that if you leave it for a day or two (let alone only eight hours), there won't be any seats left for you to sit together?

I am not sure you are understanding that seats for an SFO-LHR flight are released based on Pacific time. I honestly don't think seats should be a big concern. Don't you have two teens? They should be fine not sitting with you.

If seats are a huge concern simply choose UA where you may choose seats free when you book your flights.

If you are paying $10,000 for five people RT, you are paying too much. Also, I read a few of your other posts. If you are staying in London for a few days, consider renting an apartment. We always use VRBO.com. So much less expensive and better then a hotel. And you can do better than booking shop transfers at $59 per person!

Edited by 6rugrats

I guess I just don't like the unknown when it comes to picking our seats together. I'm sure it could work out just fine, but for ten thousand dollars (!!) I don't want to be concerned about it.
But what could you possibly have to be concerned about? That in a few hours after seat allocations open, you might no longer be able to get seats together? Do you really think that everyone who has booked flights before that time jumps on the computer to get seats allocated exactly 60 days out?

Here are the seat maps for one randomly-chosen Virgin Atlantic flight: VS7 from London Heathrow to Los Angeles. The dates are in reverse chronological order from 2 January 2015 to 28 December 2014. These flights are just coming up to and going beyond that 60-day horizon. You can see how just how quickly the seats get allocated as the days tick by - ie not quickly at all. You could leave the whole exercise for a week after the 60-day deadline and still get seats together. That's why it's so hard to understand what you are so concerned about.

kbr78k.jpgrbwsnk.jpgimm2cj.jpg

2lj00ia.jpgjfl16u.jpg14mat6v.jpg

And if you were concerned about the handful seats that show "occupied" in the first image, those seem to be blocked rather than truly occupied, because the same seats show as "occupied" on every seat map where the 60-day window is not yet open. For example, here are 10, 11 and 12 January 2015 on the same flight:-

2vtrtiv.jpg10ge4w4.jpgjrzgxk.jpg

Please know that all you get on UA economy plus is extra leg room - nothing more. My home airport (IAH) has the non-stop choice to LHR of UA and BA. I've done both and if I had a choice, I'd always pick BA. However, as pointed out, in economy you must pay extra for seat reservations on BA. I'm thinking it's $35 each way, but I could be wrong. Also, you do get "included" alcohol in BA economy, but must pay in UA.

ALL you get is extra legroom and free seat selection? That's a much bigger bonus to me than free alcohol!

Agree, and best of luck trying to get more than one drink on BA, IME.
Have you tried this recently? One of the relatively recent additions to the onboard announcements (for all cabins) is positive encouragement to use the call bell, which is after all what it's there for.

On my last flight in economy, I even got dine-on-demand. Although that may have been my personal charm. ;)

Agree, and best of luck trying to get more than one drink on BA, IME.

Ha! I guess that goes completely against my (not insignificant) experience of BA...

I find cabin crew are very good at making you feel guilty for turning down another glass or something, or on shorter flights (I take one of their very shortest flights about 10-12 times per year) they'll give you an extra can/bottle and then deliver a plastic glass to decant it into for descent and approach.

By the time you add in the cost of E+ (which is NOT cheap. they want $80 each way from IAH-EWR for example. I just booked this a few minutes ago) you can just about get a ticket in Premium Econ on BA. Now if you buy the annual E+ subscription (as I do) then the cost is not bad. Just make sure you add up all the total cost when making ones decision.

By the time you add in the cost of E+ (which is NOT cheap. they want $80 each way from IAH-EWR for example. I just booked this a few minutes ago) you can just about get a ticket in Premium Econ on BA. Now if you buy the annual E+ subscription (as I do) then the cost is not bad. Just make sure you add up all the total cost when making ones decision.

Out of curiosity, as someone who doesn't fly united and has no status with them - at what point do you go from flying enough that the E+ membership is worthwhile to reaching the status to get free E+?

Out of curiosity, as someone who doesn't fly united and has no status with them - at what point do you go from flying enough that the E+ membership is worthwhile to reaching the status to get free E+?

Silver status (25,000 miles flown and a spend of $2,500) will get you E+ access 24 hours before the flight. Gold (50,000 miles flown and a $5,000 spend) gets you access at time of booking.

I am doing a MR next week to keep *G, so I guess this, along with the other perks, are worth it to me.