I know I shouldn't but…...

KEG21552

I know it is not the preferred time of flights out, but we are cruising during the spring break season and flight prices are bordering on ridiculous! I have a flight on hold out of FLL on Sunday March 22 at 10:30. To change to after noon would cost between 200-300 more.

I have cruised over 20 times and know the drill, so my question is, has anybody made this or earlier flights out of FLL or if you missed it, what was the process. Pay lots of extra $$ to get on next flight, have to stay over or what?

Again, I already know this isn't the smartest thing to do, I know it can be based on customs and there may some intangibles, just need any first hand experience.

Thanks

For me it would not be worth saving 200-300 bucks. I would start worrying about making the plane the night before and then the morning of I know I would be real uptight. Not how I would want to end my vacation. May not bother you.

I personally would have no problem making a flight from FLL, even on a busy day, for 10:30.

Even not being one of the first off or carrying bags off, it is doable, BUT, that said, we travel often, have TSA pre-check, premiere airline status, etc, so we avoid some lines at the airport. If you can do this, definitely more doable.

As long as you don't mind getting up early on the last day, and it's worth it, I still think it is doable.

Why not split the difference, find a hotel and spend the night, you should be able to find a decent one for less than $150 even during spring break, take your time, stay over and fly back on an early flight the next day, that may be even cheaper as cruises can't take it?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I know it is not the preferred time of flights out, but we are cruising during the spring break season and flight prices are bordering on ridiculous! I have a flight on hold out of FLL on Sunday March 22 at 10:30. To change to after noon would cost between 200-300 more.

I have cruised over 20 times and know the drill, so my question is, has anybody made this or earlier flights out of FLL or if you missed it, what was the process. Pay lots of extra $$ to get on next flight, have to stay over or what?

Again, I already know this isn't the smartest thing to do, I know it can be based on customs and there may some intangibles, just need any first hand experience.

Thanks

Seeing as you've already booked it, make sure your boarding passes are printed the day before. Do the self walk off with luggage. Make sure the night before that your on-board account is cleared out. Skip breakfast and be at the beginning of the line. Grab a taxi.

Don't get stressed, angry or pushy with anyone else. They have flights to catch too.

You will in all likelihood have time to spare.

Just in case, make sure you have a plan 'B'.

We have done this more than once.:)

Good-luck!

FLL is the ONLY airport where we would try this, so much so that we have a 10:25 flight booked this month. Now it is on a Friday with only 1 other ship in port.:D

Since you are in El Paso are you going Southwest?

Edited by wallie5446

March 22 is one of only 6 days this entire season where Port Everglades is scheduled to have ships with over 20,000 capacity in port and since it is spring break time they are all likely to be sailing over capacity. It is the only cruise in February and March with the over 20,000 in port number.

I'm sure you'll find many people who have made it, and many others who would give it a try. I'd also guess that if everything went well and nothing caused an unusual delay and if you did the self disembarkation or were the first group off that you'd be OK. But personally I'd consider it too risky and I'd either look for a later option or have a solid backup plan.

In all likelihood you will make it provided you do self-disembarkation. Your odds improve if you have any kind of priority TSA screening (like for United Premier or the like). That said, we have had at least one instance in FLL where due to a Customs issue disembarkation was not allowed to start until around 9:30. We could never have made that flight on that cruise. Have a back-up plan just in case. I would suggest checking later flights on your route to see what the capacity is when you are closer to sailing. If it is totally booked up (which is very likely for spring), see what other options you may have even if it means re-routing through a connection city. If you miss it, do not head to the gate - head to the phone first as that is the quickest way to see what other options are available. I have not had this happen in recent years, but I suspect you could be out quite a change fee, and perhaps additional $$ for the flight - this probably varies by airline and by your loyalty club status (if any).

I am normally one of those who says, no way I would chance it, but most people post flight times of 9 am or 9:30. I have done the self disembark and been at FLL by 8:15 and another time at 8:30. So you should be able to make it, especially if you book a car in advance. We just walked out and hopped into a cab, its only a 15 minute drive.

Of course, you could have customs problems or whatever, but then I am sure somone has had long delays getting off or ship being late and even flights after noon would not be totally safe to book.

Long story short, I would do it.:D

I've made flights that early, and even earlier, but as someone else mentioned I also have elite status with the airline and Pre-Check, so waiting in line to check in and go through security is less of an issue.

Beyond that, please understand that other people's experience doesn't really matter. All that matters is what happens on the actual day YOU are traveling. This is particularly true if you miss the flight; what happened to other people who missed their flight may be entirely different, or not, than what happens to you in that situation. Technically, if you don't show up for the flight you will lose the reservation and have to buy a new ticket. However, the airline may work with you to rebook without buying a new ticket, but you may or may not be required to pay a change fee of roughly $150/person. As for when you get rebooked, that will largely depend on seat availability. It may or may not be the next flight out.

We have done FLL during peak spring break. If you do not have TSA Pre-Check or airline cut-the-line privileges, the security line will likely snake outside the door onto the sidewalk. This will not be a problem insofar as making your flight if you do self-embark very early off the ship, but just expect it in advance, and if the situation is better than I described, count your lucky stars!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You might want to pre-book your ride to the airport too so you are not standing around and waiting and looking for one or waiting for a van or bus to fill up.

They'll be plenty of cabs. If you miss your flight, have your airlines phone number on spped dial just in case.

Wallie

Not on SW. Flights on SW for 2 were $2,250 on AA 1,200. Put on hold this afternoon for 521 pp and tonite shows 794 pp. I think we will probably go ahead and do it. We will not stress and just be prepared in the event it doesn't work. Either paying difference for later flight or staying over. In the long run, it may cost more, but if it does, I will be poorer but wiser. If it works, good for me. We did have a 10:55 flight out of San Juan and were at airport through security by 8.

It will just be the 2 of us so if we don't make it, it won't be the end of the world. Kind of scary with 20,000 of our closest friends, but we will see.

Not until March, but I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks to all

We had a 10:15am flight on US Air after our cruise in FLL 2 years ago and we did walk off with our luggage at 7am, grabbed a stand by taxi for 5 people and had an hour to wait at gate. No problem and home in WV by 4pm!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

March 22 is one of only 6 days this entire season where Port Everglades is scheduled to have ships with over 20,000 capacity in port and since it is spring break time they are all likely to be sailing over capacity. It is the only cruise in February and March with the over 20,000 in port number.

Where do you find this information? I would like to look up my Reflection cruise that ends in Miami on Saturday, April 4th. :D

Wallie

Not on SW. Flights on SW for 2 were $2,250 on AA 1,200. Put on hold this afternoon for 521 pp and tonite shows 794 pp. I think we will probably go ahead and do it. We will not stress and just be prepared in the event it doesn't work. Either paying difference for later flight or staying over. In the long run, it may cost more, but if it does, I will be poorer but wiser. If it works, good for me. We did have a 10:55 flight out of San Juan and were at airport through security by 8.

It will just be the 2 of us so if we don't make it, it won't be the end of the world. Kind of scary with 20,000 of our closest friends, but we will see.

Not until March, but I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks to all

I believe you will have to pay $200 per person to rebook plus the difference in fares which will probably be substantial. And that's assuming you can get another flight the same day or same week. Is it possible to get a flight the next day for a reasonable cost and just stay over one night?

FLL is the ONLY airport where we would try this, so much so that we have a 10:25 flight booked this month. Now it is on a Friday with only 1 other ship in port.:D

Since you are in El Paso are you going Southwest?

Our daughter has an 11:30AM flight glad to know she will not be the only one trying to get to the airport that Friday at an early hour.

See you at the Sailaway on Monday.

Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread.

Where do you find this information? I would like to look up my Reflection cruise that ends in Miami on Saturday, April 4th. :D

There are several websites that list the cruise ships in different ports along with the passenger capacity of those ships. These sites generally are advertising supported or travel agent sites. Because of this naming them or posting a link is against Cruise Critic rules. If you want to find them then you should be able to with a little internet research on Google. But be aware that some of the sites are more accurate than others and it's not unusual to find errors on them. Also, a ship's capacity is based on the number of staterooms times 2 for double occupancy. During peak cruise times, especially when families are sailing, the actual headcount will be higher and during slow periods it will be lower.

Also, many of the port authorities have cruise ship schedules, some of which include passenger capacity. You can sometimes find the website of the port authority for a given port by use of a search engine like Google.

Thanks to all who replied. Went ahead an booked. Checked prices this morning and it had increased to $1700 vs 1260! If we don't make it, we don't make it and yes it will end up costing more in the long run but what will be will be. We will have priority boarding and TSA precheck, so will hope for the best and prepare for the worst. In all of our cruises, I have spent more time cooling my heels in the airport than racing for a plane, so hopefully our luck will hold. In the big scheme of things, there are worse things than being stranded in Ft Lauderdale.

I am still curious though, if this has in fact anyone has missed an early flight and how they resolved it.

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied. Went ahead an booked. Checked prices this morning and it had increased to $1700 vs 1260! If we don't make it, we don't make it and yes it will end up costing more in the long run but what will be will be. We will have priority boarding and TSA precheck, so will hope for the best and prepare for the worst. In all of our cruises, I have spent more time cooling my heels in the airport than racing for a plane, so hopefully our luck will hold. In the big scheme of things, there are worse things than being stranded in Ft Lauderdale.

I am still curious though, if this has in fact anyone has missed an early flight and how they resolved it.

Thanks

Despite what others have said, I would NOT book a car, get off first (somebody has to be first) and jump in a taxi, the trick is to be so early there are no lines yet. In Tampa once, we were actually first in the taxi line and had to wake up the driver who had been asleep for a while.

Same goes for the TSA security lines, get there so early the lines haven't started yet....

Thanks

Not for a cruise, but I did miss a flight once to MIA. I actually didn't miss it. The plane was still at the gate, but they wouldn't let me check in. They put us on stand by for a later flight into FLL. Didn't cost us anything. But I realize this is the reverse of what you are flying.