Gem Renovations

pixiedustdawn

Sorry about he rock climbing wall. But we're more excited that O'Sheehan's will be completed and Moderno moved.:D..Never ate in O'Sheehans so we are looking forward to that.

Hope it's really completed by our 12/1 sailing..........:)

Once they are finished with the scrubbers which will be very planet friendly, the rock climb wall should be reopened.

Not sure how long that takes.

I am happy to hear that Norwegian does care about the environment enough to do this.

Once they are finished with the scrubbers which will be very planet friendly, the rock climb wall should be reopened.

Not sure how long that takes.

I am happy to hear that Norwegian does care about the environment enough to do this.

They're not installing the scrubbers because they're concerned about the environment, they're doing it because it's the cheapest way to comply with regulations limiting sulfur dioxide emissions. Without installing the scrubbers the ships would be required to burn expensive low sulfur fuel to meet the new standards rather than the cheap fuel they currently use.

Edited by njhorseman

They're not installing the scrubbers because they're concerned about the environment, they're doing it because it's the cheapest way to comply with regulations limiting sulfur dioxide emissions. Without installing the scrubbers the ships would be required to burn expensive low sulfur fuel to meet the new standards rather than the cheap fuel they currently use.

Does it also help the environment at all?

Hi PixieDustDawn!

I will be on Gem this Saturday. Do you know if the entire area of Blue Lagoon and Moderno is closed off to passengers walking through? Will passengers on deck 8 aft have to use the stairs up or down to get around? Thanks in advance and thanks for taking time to post the pictures!

coka

Hi PixieDustDawn!

I will be on Gem this Saturday. Do you know if the entire area of Blue Lagoon and Moderno is closed off to passengers walking through? Will passengers on deck 8 aft have to use the stairs up or down to get around? Thanks in advance and thanks for taking time to post the pictures!

coka

COKA!!!!!! :)

Yes, the entire area is closed off as they are working.

I will be onboard Saturday and will be looking for you!!! What time are you getting to the ship?

Mary and I were just saying we need to talk to you about the Mermaid.

Dawn

Someone from our Dec 1/14 cruise roll call has been in contact with the concierge on the GEM and the concierge is stating that the rock climbing wall will still be closed during our sailing :( :( :(

on my oct 27 cruise, I was told by one of the top officers (jenny or the chief engineer) that the rock wall will be closed for 6months for the scrubber installation/ship upgrades.

COKA!!!!!! :)

Yes, the entire area is closed off as they are working.

I will be onboard Saturday and will be looking for you!!! What time are you getting to the ship?

Mary and I were just saying we need to talk to you about the Mermaid.

Dawn

Uh-oh...sounds like the mermaid needs some body work too? We are staying over Friday night about 25 miles north of NYC and should be parking at the pier around 10:00am or so. If there is something I need to know...or ask her creator about...or need to bring a medical kit...a liposuction kit...or laser hair removal for her...email me at quest 4 coka At Aol Dot Com Minus all the spaces.

I can send you my cell phone number for Saturday morning....Please tell MaryFrei I said hello!

coka

Edited by coka

Uh-oh...sounds like the mermaid needs some body work too? We are staying over Friday night about 25 miles north of NYC and should be parking at the pier around 10:00am or so. If there is something I need to know...or ask her creator about...or need to bring a medical kit...a liposuction kit...or laser hair removal for her...email me at quest 4 coka At Aol Dot Com Minus all the spaces.

I can send you my cell phone number for Saturday morning....Please tell MaryFrei I said hello!

coka

Sent it.

Mermaid is aging gracefully. She may need you to look in on her.

The O'Sheehan's and Moderno changes are supposed to be completed no later than Nov. 22.

While we liked the Blue Lagoon when we were on the Spirit, I look forward to trying O'Sheehan's.

The rock climbing wall being out of action really doesn't bother me. I have never used them on other ships that I have been on. If I had the kids with I might, but when it is just the two of us, I am not really interested.

Maybe if they were giving out free beer at the top...

I think I posted the pictures of the new furniture in Spinnaker a few months ago.

Just in case someone missed it, i will post it again.

Dawn

Thank you! I missed the photos the first time around. I think the new furniture is a big plus. I'm especially happy to see real armchairs that aren't barrel-style.

While we liked the Blue Lagoon when we were on the Spirit, I look forward to trying O'Sheehan's.

The rock climbing wall being out of action really doesn't bother me. I have never used them on other ships that I have been on. If I had the kids with I might, but when it is just the two of us, I am not really interested.

Maybe if they were giving out free beer at the top...

Ha! Ha! My sentiments exactly! Can't wait to finally try it on our March sailing!

looking forward to restaurant change, but the food at the Blue Lagoon was also very good. Anyone know if many of the cabins are closed on deck 8

i believe any cabins around the renovation area are not being used during this time.

Great time to book the Gem. Low prices, less people and a real relaxing cruise!!

i believe any cabins around the renovation area are not being used during this time.

Great time to book the Gem. Low prices, less people and a real relaxing cruise!!

Are there any indications that O'Sheehan's will be open and fully functional for next weeks cruise?

Pretty sure they are doing working on it. The wall may take a bit of time to get it perfect.

Thanks again for your help!

Dawn

Hi, not to hijack this thread about reno's, but does anyone remember if they brought back cold soups to the Buffet and/or MDR for lunch/dinner? I missed them on the Jewel last year in the Buffet, but they had a few nights in the MDR. Really prefer them lunchtime and a hot soup dinnertime.

Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoyed your cruise on the GEM. This will be our 1st on her...Looking forward some of the new refurbishments and, of course, O'Sheehan's...Did enjoy Blue Lagoon's wings, though...

Hi, not to hijack this thread about reno's, but does anyone remember if they brought back cold soups to the Buffet and/or MDR for lunch/dinner? I missed them on the Jewel last year in the Buffet, but they had a few nights in the MDR. Really prefer them lunchtime and a hot soup dinnertime.

Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoyed your cruise on the GEM. This will be our 1st on her...Looking forward some of the new refurbishments and, of course, O'Sheehan's...Did enjoy Blue Lagoon's wings, though...

I was on the Gem (oct 27 to Nov 7 ) they did serve cold banana soup at the grill with the bbq on our third sea day

Edited by Orleanscruiser