Gem Renovations

pixiedustdawn

I do not like cruising while they are doing construction. We had such a terrible situation on a CCL cruise that we switched lines. I don't think it would have been so bad had we known about it BEFORE we got on board. It got so bad that by the last night I was afraid we would come back to the cabin to find disposable sheets!

I'm sure NCL is trying in minimize the inconvenience but I like to have that information before I board.

At one point, someone posted a link to ships undergoing renovations and dry dock schedules. I like to avoid the last couple of cruises before a dry dock if possible. Does anyone have that link?

I do not like cruising while they are doing construction. We had such a terrible situation on a CCL cruise that we switched lines. I don't think it would have been so bad had we known about it BEFORE we got on board. It got so bad that by the last night I was afraid we would come back to the cabin to find disposable sheets!

I'm sure NCL is trying in minimize the inconvenience but I like to have that information before I board.

At one point, someone posted a link to ships undergoing renovations and dry dock schedules. I like to avoid the last couple of cruises before a dry dock if possible. Does anyone have that link?

Sorry, I do not have that link.

Curious to know if that cruise you went on was as inexpensive as these two are? I know several people onboard right now traveling solo and only paying single occupancy and paying much less than half of what I did on my 2 night sailing last weekend.

Edited by pixiedustdawn

Never tried the Chicken Pot Pie. Can anyone tell me if it has a creamed gravy inside? I'm Lactose intolerant. Thanks. Carol

Hi Carol,

The chicken pot pie does have creamed gravy inside.

Enjoyed it very much last July.

Have a great cruise!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Hi Carol,

The chicken pot pie does have creamed gravy inside.

Enjoyed it very much last July.

Have a great cruise!

~Robin

Hi, Robin, How have you been? I guess if I try the pie I'm going to have to take a couple of pills - oh, well!.

Been very well, thanks.

Take a couple pills and try the pot pie!

Hope all is well with you. Wish I could sail the Gem with you!

Still watching prices for the BA for early June. Back to Bermuda again for us. We really had a blast in July :D

Happy Sailing!

~Robin

Last time I was on the Gem (March) on the first night there was only one show. Has that changed?

Welcome Aboard show on the first night was at 7:30 pm tonight. Only one showing in the Stardust.

doh.. yeah.. forgot 1st nite is 1 show.. the variety show

The cruise we went on was not what I would call a "deal" at all it was $779 p/p for an outside and this was 6 years ago. I knew before stepping foot on board that they quit doing routine maintenance.

A piece of the booth seat slid off and I fell. I told the dining room manager and she said "that will be fixed in dry dock".

It also seemed like they were cleaning out the freezer in terms of food. No fresh fruit after the second day. Seemed like hot dogs every which way. It was DH's first cruise so he didn't notice until they started removing items (like the tv) from the room. Oh well, it's just something I take note of if possible.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The cruise we went on was not what I would call a "deal" at all it was $779 p/p for an outside and this was 6 years ago. I knew before stepping foot on board that they quit doing routine maintenance.

A piece of the booth seat slid off and I fell. I told the dining room manager and she said "that will be fixed in dry dock".

It also seemed like they were cleaning out the freezer in terms of food. No fresh fruit after the second day. Seemed like hot dogs every which way. It was DH's first cruise so he didn't notice until they started removing items (like the tv) from the room. Oh well, it's just something I take note of if possible.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The cruise you are referring to was on a Carnival Cruise 6 years ago?

Well the difference is last week on the Norwegian Gem it would have cost you anywhere from fees and taxes to under $200.00 sailing solo.

Food as well as service onboard was good. Many solos onboard got together for lunches and dinners and had a great time together. This was apparently a totally different experience that you had on Carnival. I would not have liked that experience either.

Edited by pixiedustdawn

Great progress! Any current photos on the progress on O'Sheehan's?

This Saturday Nov 22, both restaurants should be open and ready for passengers to enjoy.

I have more photos, but since both restaurants will be completed in a few days I won't be posting here any longer.

If you are on the Gem soon. Enjoy!! Maybe come back and post some pics here for us all to see.

:)

The pictures so far look great!

I love Blue Lagoon (and the wings) but O'Sheehans is such a fun atmosphere!

Does anyone know when the other ships are getting the O'Sheehans upgrade? I know Norwegian NEXT says when each ship is going into drydock but if the O'Sheehans changes are being made during sailings I was wondering when other ships would be getting them (like the Pearl, which recently had a drydock)