More tables for two?

magpieman

On our recent cruise we always asked for a table for two in the freedom dining restaurant, we noticed that on this cruise as opposed to others we had to wait quite a few times and other times we were put on a larger table by ourselves.

We noticed lots of other couples preferring tables for two, hence the waiting time, I have also noted on threads on this forum people saying they prefer tables for two.

With this in mind my question is do you think P&O should put more tables for two in the restaurant and less group tables?

On our recent cruise we always asked for a table for two in the freedom dining restaurant, we noticed that on this cruise as opposed to others we had to wait quite a few times and other times we were put on a larger table by ourselves.

We noticed lots of other couples preferring tables for two, hence the waiting time, I have also noted on threads on this forum people saying they prefer tables for two.

With this in mind my question is do you think P&O should put more tables for two in the restaurant and less group tables?

If there is more demand for tables for 2 then they need to look at it. We prefer a table for two but are happy to wait if one is not available. :)

Of course they should as the demand massively outstrips the supply. Ignore what customers want and they will go elsewhere.

As for people that like tables for 8, bully for them.

Chill, each to their own. That's what's so good about Freedom Dining.

P&O just need to re think tables for 2 if the demand is there. I don't think they are alone though. At least on P&O we didn't feel like we were sitting on the knees of the people on the other table for 2 by us as on Celebrity. Quite often P&O put us on a table set for 4 which meant that we got a lot more space, but had to wait just a little bit longer.

You mean exactly the same as the dining room? So why the buffet, unless someone was suggesting that people on their own are not welcome in the dining room.

Sometimes that is true. On my last cruise a solo lady told me she went to the dining room and was shown to a table for 4 with 2 ladies sitting there. One said to the waiter."We don't want HER sitting here". The waiter found her another table. You have to have a thick skin as a solo cruiser.:eek:

anecdote about select dining - I noticed that most of the couples in a select dining venue were not talking to each other, just sitting there stony faced. Apparently that is how you tell they are the married ones ;)

In club dining they usually sit a number of solo cruisers together at the same table.

Sometimes that is true. On my last cruise a solo lady told me she went to the dining room and was shown to a table for 4 with 2 ladies sitting there. One said to the waiter."We don't want HER sitting here". The waiter found her another table. You have to have a thick skin as a solo cruiser.:eek:

anecdote about select dining - I noticed that most of the couples in a select dining venue were not talking to each other, just sitting there stony faced. Apparently that is how you tell they are the married ones ;)

In club dining they usually sit a number of solo cruisers together at the same table.

:D Although I must say my hubby and I talk non stop and we've been married 27 years :D

As we walked though to our table to two last week on Oriana I noticed there were about 6 tables for two empty (we had waited about 40 mins so I was a little cross!) But they soon filled up. Obviously all just been paged.

Of course they should as the demand massively outstrips the supply. Ignore what customers want and they will go elsewhere.

As for people that like tables for 8, bully for them.

Chill, each to their own. That's what's so good about Freedom Dining.

P&O just need to re think tables for 2 if the demand is there. I don't think they are alone though. At least on P&O we didn't feel like we were sitting on the knees of the people on the other table for 2 by us as on Celebrity. Quite often P&O put us on a table set for 4 which meant that we got a lot more space, but had to wait just a little bit longer.

I agree that increasing tables for 2 would only reduce the overall capacity, and this same conundrum affects all cruise lines.

I imagine the 2 top demand varies from cruise to cruise, but I also assume that all cruise lines strive to find a balance between demand, supply and cost.

Of course anyone having to wait repeatedly for a table will feel disadvantaged, but unfortunately that's life.

On larger ships with more freedom dining restaurant space it is possible to set them out with more restaurant tables seating four, rather than large round tables for eight.

Both Grand Princess (similar to Ventura) and Celebrity Eclipse have this layout and it works well. Tables for 2-4 are available without a wait.