Princess Restaurant "Star" Rating

vandalayceo

Many threads have discussed princess food, usually concluding this is a very subjective thing.

A non princess cruiser recently asked me to give the food a "star" rating as is often done by restaurant reviewers.

Most star reviewing systems (except Michelin) are 4 or 5 star based.

I have provided the AAA Restaurant Diamond rating criteria as one that is used nation wide.

"AAA Diamond ratings for restaurants represent a combination of the overall food, service, décor and ambiance offered by the establishment. The descriptive ratings are assigned exclusively to establishments that meet and uphold AAA’s rigorous Approval standards.

1 Star- Simple, familiar food at an economical price. Service is limited, often self-service, and surroundings utilitarian.

2 Star- Enhanced food presentation, such as the use of common garnishes and dishware, a wide selection of familiar or home-style foods. Relaxed service, often family oriented.

3 Star-Skillfully prepared food, often reflecting current trends, and expanded beverage offerings, Efficient service staff, well-coordinated décor. Often adult oriented.

4 Star-Distinctive fine-dining. Often a highly creative executive chef, imaginative presentations and market-fresh ingredients. Wine steward often available. Upscale ambiance. Typically expensive.

5- Star-Renowned, world-class experience. Cutting edge menus, unique food preparation by highly acclaimed chefs. Maître d’ leads an unobtrusive expert service staff. "

Obviously not strictly useable for a cruise ship, using this as a guide how would you rate Princess MDR's (not speciality restaurants) vis a vis land based restaurants you might frequent while travelling.

I give them a 3.5 to 4 rating.

Don't believe you can use your descriptions that are designed for private restaurants for the large scale corporate banquet dinning as is done on cruise ships. It doesn't really apply since the real head chef, the real purchasing of food supplies, and the menu options takes place at the home office. For the amount of meals they have to prepare each day all over the ship, I believe they do a good job, and give them a 4. I don't believe it is possible on large scale ships to reach 5 as you define it. I have never been at a loss to find tasty food on the menus.

For some reason my quote button does not want to work today.:(

I think it depends on the ship. I have experience really good food on some and just good food on others. But when I am on a cruise vacation, it is really good rood to me.;)

So I agree with your 3.5 to 4 rating but find "Often" the operative word.:)

Don't believe you can use your descriptions that are designed for private restaurants for the large scale corporate banquet dinning as is done on cruise ships. It doesn't really apply since the real head chef, the real purchasing of food supplies, and the menu options takes place at the home office. For the amount of meals they have to prepare each day all over the ship, I believe they do a good job, and give them a 4. I don't believe it is possible on large scale ships to reach 5 as you define it. I have never been at a loss to find tasty food on the menus.
Bang on ! It sounds like a slight to call the food " large scale banquet dinning " , but that's what it is.

For my non-cruising friends I equate the food to a quality country club or a 4 * all -inclusive.

Things like desserts that are made ahead come out better then items which in a quality

restaurant would be made by the order. A restaurant can use daily and seasonal market fresh produce.

Rigid foodies will be disappointed with what is offered . I consider myself a foodie

but not so rigid that I can't enjoy the food for what it is. Cruise food is seldom exciting but I

always find something good to eat, 5 or 6 times a day.:D

HC: 3.0

MDR: 3.5

Specialty restaurants: 4.25

And I agree they all deserve "extra credit" for being on a cruise ship and serving so many at a time.

I would also add one definition of satisfaction is the difference between expectations and reality so based on expecting cruise food (and loving the overall cruise experience) none of my ratings represent a disappointment but rather equal parts satisfaction and amazement in how well they do it all.

In summary...I'll take a 3-4 on a cruise over a 4-5 on land any day! :- )

My DH and I consider ourselves foodies and have eaten at many of the top restaurants. I would give the MDR food a 4 and the buffet a 3. I also think Princess deserves extra props for different food "experiences", like the pub lunch. Although I would love to see the Chef's dinner elevated to a 5, I don't think it quite makes it there. That being said I take the opportunity anytime I can. It's not about the foam and "essence" on the plate. It's about a well thought out dish, cooked properly. I have had some of my favorite meals at 1-star restaurants.

It's also hard to give a rating for all of Princess as I believe service is a big part of a rating and some ships staff are much better than others IMHO.

How do you compare a restaurant that has one menu and perhaps serves a few hundred people at a meal with a ship with multiple menus and dining options (dining room, specialty restaurants, IC, Alfredo's, Crab Shack, Fondu, buffet, Bistro, pizza and grill) that serves 2,000-3,500 people 24/7? Or are you comparing just the dining room? Even then, you're talking apples and oranges.

I bet if a 5-star land restaurant had to prepare food in the quantities that the ship's dining room kitchens do, they sure as heck wouldn't be 5-star restaurants. Absolutely no way they could pay as much attention to detail nor would they be consistent.

I bet if a 5-star land restaurant had to prepare food in the quantities that the ship's dining room kitchens do, they sure as heck wouldn't be 5-star restaurants. Absolutely no way they could pay as much attention to detail nor would they be consistent.

Well said, and, I believe, very true. I'm not a "foodie" by any stretch of the imagination and prefer simple food to gourmet dining. My wife, on the other hand, does enjoy a much wider spectrum of foods and enjoys, to some extent, more of what I would call "adventurous" food.

I agree with what a few people who have posted earlier in that how does a cruise line satisfy people with tastes ranging from my simple desires to those who want 5-star cuisine? Personally, I've enjoyed the food I've eaten on the cruises I've gone on and am amazed at both the quantity and the quality of what is available.

Tom

Very true. But to some, this is an explanation and to others it is an excuse. To me, it is the explanation. No kitchen that prepares food in vats can turn out food as fine as restaurants that prepare everything a la minute. Cruise ships, (and wedding banquet halls) do the best they can under the circumstances. And what they churn out if all goes well, is 3 star food with no need to apologize. If people want 4 or 5 star dining, they need to sail on very, very small ships, or stay on land. And let's not forget that price plays a role. You can dine at a 5 star restaurant in New York, Paris, London, (among other places) and have a single dinner for two that costs more than a 7 day cruise for two. For example, dinner for two at Per Se (before wine) will cost $620 per couple. (And that jumps up to $1,400 per couple if each person orders the items off the prix fixe menu that have supplemental charges.) There are plenty of 7 day cruises that cost less than that, all the way up to the Mini-Suite level. So when I cruise, you will never hear me say: "This is the best food I've ever had." Nor will you hear me complain about the quality of the food from a "value" standpoint. I may complain about a particular item that should be jettisoned from the ship. But on the whole, I hope for 3 star dining, and if I get that, I am happy.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Very true. But to some, this is an explanation and to others it is an excuse. To me, it is the explanation. No kitchen that prepares food in vats can turn out food as fine as restaurants that prepare everything a la minute. Cruise ships, (and wedding banquet halls) do the best they can under the circumstances. And what they churn out if all goes well, is 3 star food with no need to apologize. If people want 4 or 5 star dining, they need to sail on very, very small ships, or stay on land. And let's not forget that price plays a role. You can dine at a 5 star restaurant in New York, Paris, London, (among other places) and have a single dinner for two that costs more than a 7 day cruise for two. For example, dinner for two at Per Se (before wine) will cost $620 per couple. (And that jumps up to $1,400 per couple if each person orders the items off the prix fixe menu that have supplemental charges.) There are plenty of 7 day cruises that cost less than that, all the way up to the Mini-Suite level. So when I cruise, you will never hear me say: "This is the best food I've ever had." Nor will you hear me complain about the quality of the food from a "value" standpoint. I may complain about a particular item that should be jettisoned from the ship. But on the whole, I hope for 3 star dining, and if I get that, I am happy.

Simply not possible to provision, prepare and present from a ships resource and confines... Michelin 3 stars ( a 5+ on the AAA scale) on land often only have 1 or 2 seating's and perhaps less than 100 customers to serve in an evening from vast stores of fresh daily, prime ingredients. No ship can do that.

Too, I wholly agree that the food is just fine and nothing wrong with it unless you want to find something .

Which is to say I have never had a bad meal from NCL to Regent... Food is so subjective too one persons 2 might be another's 4...

And does it really matter? If you loved it...give it a 6..or a 10.. its you opinion in the final analysis.

The humorist Gene Sheppard once wrote that his old man said" People only like meat and potatoes and they only eat other stuff to impress each other

My expectation on any mainline cruise ship (Princess, Celebrity, Disney, Royal or NCL) is 3 star quality and service. Once in awhile, decor or service is a bit better, but still not 4 star. A buffet can only be 2 star due to the lack of "service", not because of the food offered.

Yes, a cruise line can do 4 and almost 5 star. Certainly Remy on Disney, and Murano on Solstice and Century are worthy of 4 stars. When only two are dining, wine pairings are a FANTASTIC way to go. Although, we have finished nice bottles on a second or third night in the main dining rooms.

Totally agree with the "just walking away" part. In fact, on our very first cruise I recall it feeling odd at first - like we were sneaking out of a restaurant without paying (which, mind you, we've never done and would never do).

But then very quickly we learned to love it and it even made us feel kind of special - like we'd been invited to dine at someone's special event every meal.